Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small holding grass management

Options
  • 12-07-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Looking for some advice...have about 4-5 acres of land around private house that needs to be controlled! Have the ability to spray and top etc with a quad but site is very steep and hilly in places..boundaries are dense and well fenced. Not really interested in renting out the land (not very practical in our case) but would like some advice on what I could possibly get to graze it to help with the grass management...not really looking for profits just some help to keep the place looking respectable! Non farmer without herd numbers etc..had considered alpacas but an expensive option still on the cards...donkeys..sheep...all advice welcome! Limited time available to look after animals intensively...not during the daytime anyway....thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

plant it with trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smallhold

Hi -thanks....I'm planting about 2,000 trees as it is...on the very steep bits but don't want to do much more close to the house etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

a few donkeys or ponies will keep it down, bare in mind they will need some shelter and hay or silage for the winter. They'll also need a farrier once or twice a year unless you can trim hooves yourself. All in they aren't the dearest pet once you have land. and will keep grass grazed. Obviously you'll need a goodish fence to keep them in.

Sheep are a lot of care compared to donkeys or ponies so unless you want it to be a small holding where you breed/sell livestock I wouldn't get them

Thanks yea maybe donkeys are the way to go...they need hardstand under their shelter though!? Nothing easy!!

Smallhold wrote: »
    Thanks yea maybe donkeys are the way to go...they need hardstand under their shelter though!? Nothing easy!!

as long as it's dry and not mud donkeys will be fine we used to keep them in houses where the floor was a mixture of compacted clay and stones. the big thing is keep the hooves trimmed

• Advertisement

Usually very good drainage around our place...and I could easily get a lot of crushed stone fill down under it...hmmm might be the best option so..no issues looking after their feet and teeth etc will get a harrier in. Might be the easiest and cheapest option so.

Smallhold wrote: »

as long as it's dry and not mud donkeys will be fine we used to keep them in houses where the floor was a mixture of compacted clay and stones. the big thing is keep the hooves trimmed
    Quick question - how often did you muck out their stable / shelter? And any advice on the type / size of shelter?

Daily is the best imo, it's only a few minutes and we feed morning and evening so its no hassle. As opposed to doing it once a week.

If there is straw beding, we only use beding on stabled animals. Normally we have a open shelter (bassically a stable with no door) they can walk in and out of.

6' 6" by 10" is the standard for horses, obviously donkeys are smaller so it wouldn't need to be as big. stables are basically a shed as long as there is a door in, there is space to turn the animal and it's dry there's not much more you need.

Daily is the best imo, it's only a few minutes and we feed morning and evening so its no hassle. As opposed to doing it once a week.

If there is straw beding, we only use beding on stabled animals. Normally we have a open shelter (bassically a stable with no door) they can walk in and out of.

6' 6" by 10" is the standard for horses, obviously donkeys are smaller so it wouldn't need to be as big. stables are basically a shed as long as there is a door in, there is space to turn the animal and it's dry there's not much more you need.
    Thanks for that - do you leave the donkeys out all winter just with access to their field shelter whenever they feel like it?! And last question on the field shelter...do you put straw bedding in there for them or it's just sitting on the grass..assume they need some sort of bedding somewhere?! Sorry for all the questions...complete novice?!

we've ponies and horses, had donkeys when I was younger. The ponies are left out with a field shelter. the horses are kept in overnight and turned out in the morning or left out with coats on.

Ponies don't sit so we don't bother with much beding. When we had donkeys or have foals we use straw, a few bales last the winter changing it out every week or 2. You'll also need fodder for the winter so you'll have to buy in hay

If the ground is soft they will plough it up a bit but assuming you're only getting two or three this shouldn't be to bad

Does anyone near you keep donkeys? they would be the best person to ask for any advice you might need, the local equine supply store would also be a good source for more info

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks - will ask around local. Think you've covered most of it!! Luckily our ground is very dry...basically top soil and all shale then...drains very well! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

If you're looking for a donkey you could try the donkey sanctuary:
    http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/

They're usually looking for good homes for donkeys. I think a minimum of 1 acre is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

It's hilly....goats?

It's hilly....goats?
    Would love goats BUT....fencing how to keep them in...and the cost of fencing...plus it would really have to be done well couldn't face coming home to my goats in wrecking the neighbours perfect garden!! Wouldn't like to have them tethered...kinda cruel no?!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Good fences make good neighbours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Goats are very difficult to contain. We used to have pygmy goats. They were lovely animals, but one in particular used to continuously throw himself against the fence until he bent it enough to get out.

A bit like a cat, as soon as he was out, all he wanted to get back in.

I definitely wouldn't tether them.

They aren't maintenance free - nails (hooves) need to be clipped regularly.

The other thing about goats, and rather important in your case, is that they really don't like eating grass. They like to eat things above the ground (i.e. bushes and especially ivy). Perhaps they consider the ground to be dirty.

I think sheep or donkeys might be a better option.

Advertisement