Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting rid of .223

• 12-07-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting rid of the .223. But il be looking for a gun for rabbits and foxes aswell. Have my thoughts on a .17 hmr but they are a bit loud. I'd like a .22 but I not confident on the range on a fox.
    .204 any use or a .220 and for ammo price what's the best.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

If it's mainly for fox I'd go for the 204, rabbit .17hmr with the close range fox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Can I be boring and say stick with the .223 but change the rifle to a nicer one if it's the rifle itself you've fallen out of love with.

Any .22 calibre centerfire rifle is going to be loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I love me rifle but it's too loud tbh and shooting rabbits that are a lot more plentiful than foxes now it kinda limits me to one rabbit per field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭RossiFan08

The problem is that there is no one cover all gun. The 17 HMR is best suited for rabbits and a CF (204, 223 etc) for foxes. Therefore it depends on what you are going to be shooting more, if rabbits are what you will mainly be hunting go with the 17 HMR as it is still adequate for foxes out to 150 yards but it will be effected by wind more so than the 223. If foxing then go with the 223 and maybe look into a different mod.

Or if the 223 is your only firearm why not add to the collection and get a 22 for rabbits and keep the 223 for foxes. This also gives you the option of using subsonics.

Ballistech in wexford currently have a CZ 455 SYNTHETIC .22lr / 17HMR for 399 euro.

An additional option could be the new 17 Hornet, I believe they are quieter than the other CFs and are more capable on foxes but have no other knowledge on them. The Ruger 77/22 can be had in 17 hornet for around 1250 and ammo comes in at 25 for 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

.22 mag?

• Advertisement

RossiFan08 wrote: »
    The problem is that there is no one cover all gun. The 17 HMR is best suited for rabbits and a CF (204, 223 etc) for foxes. Therefore it depends on what you are going to be shooting more, if rabbits are what you will mainly be hunting go with the 17 HMR as it is still adequate for foxes out to 150 yards but it will be effected by wind more so than the 223. If foxing then go with the 223 and maybe look into a different mod.

Or if the 223 is your only firearm why not add to the collection and get a 22 for rabbits and keep the 223 for foxes. This also gives you the option of using subsonics.

Ballistech in wexford currently have a CZ 455 SYNTHETIC .22lr / 17HMR for 399 euro.

An additional option could be the new 17 Hornet, I believe they are quieter than the other CFs and are more capable on foxes but have no other knowledge on them. The Ruger 77/22 can be had in 17 hornet for around 1250 and ammo comes in at 25 for 25

It's more for rabbits now as I've gotten rid of basically most of the foxes with the .223 since I got it so it's more so rabbits now. And the .223 is grand over 150 yards head shot on rabbits but it's just too loud. I've got the shotgun which is more in use as the grass is too high for the rifle.
    It's more to do with the noise issue on the rifle and what to go for now that isn't loud and will drop a fox and has cheaper ammo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭RossiFan08

17 HMR should do the job so. One thing about foxes is however that if you clear them from your area, others from surrounding areas will move into the vacuum you have created. So in the future you may want another dedicated foxing rifle.

17 HMR should do the job so. One thing about foxes is however that if you clear them from your area, others from surrounding areas will move into the vacuum you have created. So in the future you may want another dedicated foxing rifle.

Well the amount that was around is now down to maybe 4 or so. So il just pick them off when I cross them. Won't dedicate too much time now compared to what I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If the .17HMR is too loud for you you're definitely looking at a .22LR. Everything is louder than that. And if the .223 really bothers you, you definitely don't want to be around a .220 Swift...

If the .17HMR is too loud for you you're definitely looking at a .22LR. Everything is louder than that. And if the .223 really bothers you, you definitely don't want to be around a .220 Swift...

What about a 17 with a wildcat mod or something really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

I had a 223 and like you I didn't get on with the sound, have a hmr and have often taken 2 rabbits beside each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Moderated 17HMR will have a similar report to an unmoderated 22LR with HV rounds. If that's acceptable then you're golden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you're using a mod it's much of a muchness and none of them are loud. If you're not going to use a mod then about the most civilised centrefire I can think of off the top of my head would be a .22 Hornet. Still plenty loud though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What about a 17 with a wildcat mod or something really good

Its still a supersonic round. You problem is not the caliber, but the round. Pretty much anything over 22lr is supersonic and even the hyper velocity 22s make a bang. You cannot stop this.

Getting subsonic rounds for the 204, 223, 220 swift, etc. is pointless. They drop like a fecking stone and you would really want to be good at holdover for even a 100 - 150 yard shot.

Obviously the larger you go the louder the bang. However the swift has a large case for such a small bullet. So the bang is "unusually" loud for the small caliber.

Your options as i see it are:
    1. Stay with the 223
    2. Go something else, but be in the same position
    3. Go for a 22 and essentially forego most/all fox shooting
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

This.

Get a .22 for the bunnies (and the 455 is a great rifle) and keep the .223 for charlie and his mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

That's probably the best solution right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

ezra_ wrote: »
    This.

Get a .22 for the bunnies (and the 455 is a great rifle) and keep the .223 for charlie and his mates.

I agree with the above. If the 455 doesn't suit, try a 10/22.

Thanks lads great advice there. It's leaning towards a .17 and a good mod. I do love the .22 for plunking rabbits and I have dropped foxes with them but not at great distances like 30 yards or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

I've been shooting everything with my trusty Brno .22lr for years out to 100+ yards & I've had very little run away. I know my kit inside out. Shooters today need to learn more about shooting fundamentals & stop expecting technology to make up for lack of knowledge & experience. Seen a lot of calibres come & go and .22lr is still as popular as it ever was. there's reasons for that. In the right hands it'll do everything expected of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would have said a .22 magnum for the distances you are shooting at,and maybe a sub caliber insert to .22 rimfire for the bunnies if you really wanted to be a perfectionist about things.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would have said a .22 magnum for the distances you are shooting at,and maybe a sub caliber insert to .22 rimfire for the bunnies if you really wanted to be a perfectionist about things.

22 mag is a fine calibre too. Would take you out to 150+ no bother I'd say. If you can't call a fox in to that distance you're doing something wrong.

Remember you cannot substitute power for accuracy when hunting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ezra_ wrote: »
    This.

Option four. Best option as you won't find what you're after. IOW something as quiet as a 22lr and as effective as the 223.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

What about the 17 hornet. Plenty of punch for foxes and €28.50 for 50 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

Thanks lads great advice there. It's leaning towards a .17 and a good mod. I do love the .22 for plunking rabbits and I have dropped foxes with them but not at great distances like 30 yards or so.

I've a 17 with a wildcat whisper mod, widely reported to be the best mod for it. I'm around Dublin if you want to have a look at it. It's not really that quiet to be honest you're never going to lose the sonic crack

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

17 hornet is good. It's a centerfire and is going alot faster than the hmr. I think about a 1000 Ft per second. I use it for both foxes and rabbits. Mainly foxes! I already have a .22 as well so I was going to trade the .17 for a .223 but I don't think I will let it go. If i was you i would keep the .223 and get a .22lr also. Then after a year or so if your still not happy sell both and get a 17 hmr and a good scope.

Advertisement