Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1cm cut in tyre..

Options
  • 12-07-2016 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

So I'm only about 200km's into a new Conti Grand Prix 4000S and I got a puncture last week.. a shard of glass right through the tyre into the tube.. I am now left with a 1 cm gash in a practically brand new tyre... Is this salvagable or is it for the bin..? I've heard of people using super glue etc? Is there a hack for fixing it? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Stick one of these over the cut on the inside the tyre...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-emergency-tyre-boot-tb2/rp-prod13249

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Thanks Lapierre, will that save the tyre indefinately or just in emergancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Fender76 wrote: »
    Thanks Lapierre, will that save the tyre indefinately or just in emergancies?

There sold as an emergency, but if i was in your situation,I'd buy a pack of 3 and see how long they last. a lot cheaper than buying a new tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Super glue generally isn't all that good. It's actually solid when it dries, so you may as well have a piece of sharp plastic embedded in the tyre. For get-me-home fixes, superglue will work, but long term it won't.

Stick a patch on the inside to top stop crap from getting in that way. Then you can try some standard vulcanising patch glue - let it dry, then push the two sides together, hold them there and let it seal. You can also get special types of flexible superglue-ish resin that could fill up the hole. Don't know where you get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Wetsuit glue will help as it is a vulcanising bond. I'd still patch the inside though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I ripped a hole in the sidewall of a new GP4000 also and patched the inside of the tyre with a regular patch and also a Park Tool self sticking patch. I let them dry out properly and out the tube back in this morning and pumped the tyre to 99psi and it bulged at the cut part so it's fir the bin (and less than 500km on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I ripped a hole in the sidewall of a new GP4000 also and patched the inside of the tyre with a regular patch and also a Park Tool self sticking patch. I let them dry out properly and out the tube back in this morning and pumped the tyre to 99psi and it bulged at the cut part so it's fir the bin (and less than 500km on it)
    Yeah sidewall tears are irreparable. The upper section of the tyre has a mesh structure that prevents any holes or tears from expanding under load. The sidewalls don't - their structure has a grain in a single direction (radially from the hub), once this grain has been split or cut, the tyre cannot maintain its strength and it can't be repaired.

This is why slashing a car tyre with a knife to the sidewall is so expensive - you have to bin the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

07Lapierre wrote: »

Old deckchair fabric works too, I've heard. Rectangles of old toothpaste tube definitely work (cleaned of paste first, naturally).

I've never tried leaving a boot in for more than one trip though.

Advertisement