Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is unique about CLS timber? are there alternatives?

Options
  • 12-07-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I recently bought this American made Garden bench/flip table

http://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/acatalog/2x4--Wooden-Table-Bench.html

It maintains that CLS timber must be used which is proving tough to source and quite expensive.

My understanding from a little research is CLS is a grade of timber quality and has its own relative unique size as it is planed with rounded edges. Is this correct?

Also are there alternatives that I can use even which a little work like sanding edges or treating timber?

My main concern is that what ever timber I buy will fit the slots in the bench/flip table.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

CLS is readily available in almost every hardware builders merchant in Ireland.

All timberframe companies use it for timberframe houses.

Its Canadian Lumber Standard that has a plus or minus tolerance in its dimensions that
    guarantee the same size tolerence, regardless of where its purchased, rather like
    Mcdonalds burger, same all over.

Any stamped and graded C grade timber will be CLS.

What size CLS are you looking for, and are you anywhere near a McMahons builders providors.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Thanks for the help, I eventually got some.
    The main two Hardwares/lumber sellers in my town didn't stock it, Woodies had it for €7 for 8ft 2x4's so a little drive out of town to pick up 16ft 2x4's at still nearly €12 each! not much saving.

Lengths cut and painted now though and will be assembling later. Ill post a pic for anybody interested, looks like a nice Bench/Table

Double post

Pretty solid when all put together. Handy for our space.
    Ju7EoO.jpg
    WsfxrE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

Where'd you buy in the end, do you mind me asking?

Great result, clever set up

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    Where'd you buy in the end, do you mind me asking?

Great result, clever set up

Thanks and yep its a good system.
    No problem, I bought the frames off Amazon for about €55 and got the CLS timber in a Homevalue Hardware.

You could get 2 sets of frames to make two benches and when in table mode they can be pushed together to make a full double sided picnic table.

One long bench/table just suited us better and at 8ft it is pretty long compared to most.

Advertisement