Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it legal to drive with receipt of drivers licence only?

• 12-07-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I passed my B test yesterday and applied straight away for a licence. Was wondering if it's legally sufficient to drive as a novice driver with the receipt alone while I wait for my licence (about two weeks).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

LordHypnos wrote: »
    I passed my B test yesterday and applied straight away for a licence. Was wondering if it's legally sufficient to drive as a novice driver with the receipt alone while I wait for my licence (about two weeks).

Nope.

You are still a learner driver, and L plates, accompanying driver etc are all required until your license arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

Nope.

You are still a learner driver, and L plates, accompanying driver etc are all required until your license arrives.

as I suspected.. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

From the FAQ's on the NDSL Website:
    What should I do while I’m waiting for my new card e.g. if I’m stopped by a member of An Garda Síochána and asked to produce my licence?

At present, customers can expect to receive their licence or learner permit within five to eight working days. After your licence has been processed you will receive a NDLS receipt as proof of application for your licence /permit. You are advised to keep this in your vehicle. If a member of An Garda Síochána asks you to produce a licence and your licence application is being processed, you will have an opportunity to produce your licence at a Garda station within 10 days.

From the FAQ's on the NDSL Website:

The point being that they are considered a learner driver until they receive their license in the post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nope.

Has that changed? I recall at the time I got mine, got receipt for my license and I asked what to do etc in the tax office, they told me that the receipt was enough proof that I held a full license. Got stopped a few hours later, produced receipt and no issues at all. I also had my L plates down by the time I was stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I read that as once processed at the NDSL counter, you will get a receipt which you can produce to the Gardaí. This is sufficient to prove you have a full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

I was stopped at a checkpoint the day I passed my test (no L plates) and only had the receipt and experienced no hassle, guard even congratulated me!

The point being that they are considered a learner driver until they receive their license in the post.

I don't believe that to be the case. When you pass your test you are no longer considered a learner. You have passed your test, you have the receipt to prove this. You are just waiting on the licence as a more formal form of proof.

It says there that you can drive with this, and if a Garda asks for your licence this will do and you can then provide the full licence at a station when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think it depends on the receipt but it would be a pretty grim Garda to make a fuss over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I don't believe that to be the case. When you pass your test you are no longer considered a learner. You have passed your test, you have the receipt to prove this. You are just waiting on the licence as a more formal form of proof.

It says there that you can drive with this, and if a Garda asks for your licence this will do and you can then provide the full licence at a station when it arrives.

Until you receive your licence that is the case, it even says on the bottom of the receipt from the ndls that it's not a valid licence. Some guards would say fair enough others might not.

• Advertisement

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Until you receive your licence that is the case, it even says on the bottom of the receipt from the ndls that it's not a valid licence. Some guards would say fair enough others might not.

I am not saying it is a valid licence, it isn't even a valid form of ID. What I am saying (and the NDSL website confirms this) is that it is acceptable proof that you have passed your test while waiting for your licence to arrive.

I am not saying it is a valid licence, it isn't even a valid form of ID. What I am saying (and the NDSL website confirms this) is that it is acceptable proof that you have passed your test while waiting for your licence to arrive.

NDSL does not confirm this. The quote above doesn't say that a receipt is acceptable as a full license, when moving from a Learner Permit. It merely states that it can be used in lieu of a license for full licensed holders who need to renew an expired license, or for learner permit holders doing the same.

In fact, here is a quote from NDLS on this issue:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93951242&postcount=32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Technically, you are still only a provisionally licenced driver until your application for a full licence has been processed. All the test center gives you is the certificate of competency. You still need to submit the application along with any relevant medical reports and so on. It is not until these have all been checked that your full (novice) licence is approved.

The receipt they give you is to help explain to the Gardaí why you don't have your provisional licence with you.

However, in practical terms, if they still ask to see a licence within ten days, it'll be your new full licence that you'll be showing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

NDSL does not confirm this. The quote above doesn't say that a receipt is acceptable as a full license, when moving from a Learner Permit. It merely states that it can be used in lieu of a license for full licensed holders who need to renew an expired license, or for learner permit holders doing the same.

I was wondering about the issue of needing to have your licence on you at all times whilst driving. Mind you, it is impractical to expect everyone to stop driving when thye renew their licence until the new one arrives in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I was wondering about the issue of needing to have your licence on you at all times whilst driving. Mind you, it is impractical to expect everyone to stop driving when thye renew their licence until the new one arrives in the post.

The legislation has a provision that if you don't have a licence with you, you can present one within ten days at a Garda station. This allows for renewals and replacements.

I have read the quote I posted a few times and I can't find any reference to a caveat that it is ONLY referring to full licence holders.

Your link says that they never recommend driving without a licence, fair enough, but it says on their website (which is where I copied from) what to do if your licence is being processed and you are asked to produce your licence. If the answer was DONT DO IT, that's all they need to say. It they didn't. They say have the receipt there and then the licence can be presented once it arrives within 10 days

I have read the quote I posted a few times and I can't find any reference to a caveat that it is ONLY referring to full licence holders.

Your link says that they never recommend driving without a licence, fair enough, but it says on their website (which is where I copied from) what to do if your licence is being processed and you are asked to produce your licence. If the answer was DONT DO IT, that's all they need to say. It they didn't. They say have the receipt there and then the licence can be presented once it arrives within 10 days

This is the important bit:
    You are considered to be the holder of a full licence when the full licence has been issued to you.

The license is not issued to you until you receive it in your hand. The receipt is not a license. If there is an error in your application and the NDLS don't issue the license then you're in trouble.

Advertisement