Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance discount for emergency breaking technology

• 12-07-2016 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Considering Insurance companies are paying out large amounts on whiplash/soft tissue claims and dispropionately more in Ireland is there any Insurer in the Irish market offering a discount for emergency breaking on new cars.
    Cars from the citycar class upwards are now available with this technology and as extras go it isn't very expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you mean Autonomous Emergency Braking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Yes and I annoyed myself by typing breaking rather than braking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

In a similar vein, I deal with a large amount of clients who operate HGV's for haulage / transport purposes and we have been pushing the installation of camera's. They have asked a similar question with regards discounts on their insurances.

The simple answer is no, I haven't come across any insurer offering discounts for extra technology (perhaps further down the line?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Corvo wrote: »
    In a similar vein, I deal with a large amount of clients who operate HGV's for haulage / transport purposes and we have been pushing the installation of camera's. They have asked a similar question with regards discounts on their insurances.

The simple answer is no, I haven't come across any insurer offering discounts for extra technology (perhaps further down the line?)

Smart driver apps and the like are available with some insurers.

Irish drivers have a massive aversion to then though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Why would you use an app if there was a possibility it could be used against you in the event of a claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yeah, because they don't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why would you use an app if there was a possibility it could be used against you in the event of a claim?
    Because most people at least aspire to be decent and don't think that they will try to weasal out of a claim if they're at fault.

When actually involved in an incident their attitude often changes, but on the face of it most people would claim that "If I was at fault, I would hold my hands up".

The real reason someone would use an app is because it lowers their insurance.

For insurance companies there are a couple of gains;

1. Claims are settled faster when you have better data about the incident.
    2. It's far harder to make fraudulent or excessive claims
    3. The Hawthorne Effect suggests that drivers using the app, may for the most part drive slower and safer than those who aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

seamus wrote: »
    Because most people at least aspire to be decent and don't think that they will try to weasal out of a claim if they're at fault.

When actually involved in an incident their attitude often changes, but on the face of it most people would claim that "If I was at fault, I would hold my hands up".

3. The Hawthorne Effect suggests that drivers using the app, may for the most part drive slower and safer than those who aren't.

Rubberbanding of position though means the apps often incorrectly record excessive braking or accelerating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

seamus wrote: »

Exactly.

The apps are used to measure driver behaviour in the long term as opposed to punishing people for occasional indiscretions.

People seem to think that any infraction will lead to a loading which is of course ridiculous.

If people are obeying the rules of the road, driving within speed limits and in general being careful drivers then I don't know why people would have an issue with it if it will help lower your premiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

OSI wrote: »
    I think this is typically managed via the overall insurance risk of the vehicle rather than an active discount. For example in the UK the current generation Golf GTI is 5 insurance groups lower than the previous GTI because it includes "Front Assist".

Funny how transparency related stuff like insurance groups washes off cars on the ferry to Ireland though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

Funny how transparency related stuff like insurance groups washes off cars on the ferry to Ireland though!

If they had the insurance groups as in the UK, then they wouldn't be able to pick numbers out of the sky for quotes! just a great big scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

TheShow wrote: »
    If they had the insurance groups as in the UK, then they wouldn't be able to pick numbers out of the sky for quotes! just a great big scam.

No no they definitely absolutely have unbiased and objective analysis of up to date statistics to prove all these things.

Just no one can look at them, even the raw stats without analysis.

Sounds legit doesn't it?

Advertisement