Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Media Player - PC Stalling

Options
  • 12-07-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have more than 150,000 mp3 files stored on two internal hard disks on a PC with Windows 7 (64 bit). I use Window Media Player 11 to search for and play music in the library. However, WMP has been stalling on me lately, possibly because of the large and growing library!

I am adding very little to the library at the moment but I am also seeking a better solution for the long-term. There is plenty of advice on the Internet on how to reduce WMP's use of CPU. I followed the advice given in this video and it improved things a little.
    triple w youtube dot com/watch?v=BX3pHD4Mtzo

And there is the option of using alternatives to WMP, such as Foobar or Jaangle.

Please let me know of what you think my best course of action is. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I like the look of MusicBee, and I've used MediaMonkey in the past which is great for large libraries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

+1 Foobar.

Or VLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Foobar is king. VLC is a great player but its really not so great for audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Artick89

Thanks for your replies. I used MusicBee and MediaMonkey in the past. I found that the library did not update automatically when I added new files or when I used software, such mp3Tag, to edit the tags of large number of files.

Instead, I had to scan the entire library again and that took about 8 hours, so I switched back to Windows Media Player. Has anyone had a similar or a different experience when using MusicBee, MediaMonkey, Foobar or other music players?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If scanning is taking that long either your machine is very underpowered or your storage is really slow.

MP3TAG should be updating the modified timestamp when it changes but WMP monitoring for that is why its causing you problems. "Live" monitoring of that many files is an ask for any software (My backup utility was doing it but using up to 3GB of RAM).

• Advertisement
Advertisement