Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runner's knee; Advice?

• 12-07-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I'm fairly new to running and I think I have what's known as "runner's knee."

Pain in my knee when I bend it and it hurts when walking. Funny enough, it doesn't hurt when running.
    I have a knee support bandage on it at the mo and I put some Deep Heat on.

Just wondering, would it be OK to carry on running if it's not hurting or should I be resting it until it's healed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Are you doing any mobility work? i.e. stretching, foam rolling, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Are you doing any mobility work? i.e. stretching, foam rolling, etc?

I do stretch before and after. I hope I'm not violating the "no medical advice" rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know this probably isn't an answer you really wanted, it's probably best to go to a good physio.

The knee isn't straightforward so it may not be 'runner's knee'. It may be patellar tendonitis, for example.

Assuming it is runner's knee, then there;s the issue of what caused it. Is it a biomechanical problem that's caused by a muscular weakness that's ultimately causing the knee injury. Which muscles? Hips? Quads?

I don't like to just throw out 'go to a physio' where someone has an injury but sometimes it's worth investigating if you want to continue to run, lift, etc without injuries recurring all too regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Like Alf said, there a hundred different things that could cause knee pain. It's quite a complex area and a physio would be best to determine the cause.

I'm going to make assumptions and suggest that your stretching routine involves lunges to stretch the calf and pulling your foot to your ass to stretch the quad, but little else. Those are the most common stretches you see and they are easy to do, but they don't cover nearly as much as they should.

Have a look at the Limber 11 mobility routine. It's used primarily by weightlifters, but it's great for ensuring you leave no stone unturned when checking for muscle tightness in the lower body:

Advertisement