Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth fixing?

• 12-07-2016 4:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it is time and the old warhorse will have to be retired.
    The issue is, turbo is worn, it runs well and returns good MPG, but when you put the foot down, it just whoops and returns no power.
    The details:
    2006 Ford Focus Cmax, 1.8 TDCI, Zetec. Cosmetic Condition inside and out average with signs of wear and tear (dents, scratches)
    The issue is the mileage. 380k km. While that sounds bad, the car is well cared for (oil changes every time at 20k km, new discs, new pads, new shocks, timing belt, clutch, etc...)
    I can have the turbo reconditioned for less than 500 bucks if i remove and refit it myself.
    Will this add enough value to be worth doing? I understand my car isn't worth a whole lot with that mileage, but if I can say that it needs nothing done to it, will this add sufficient value to be worth doing the turbo?
    What say you.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the car is otherwise fit then why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If the car is otherwise fit then why not?

Was just wondering. The mileage will put a lot of people off, the value of the car won't be very high and will I get the money back? i suspect maybe, because with a knackered turbo it's worth bugger all, but with? How much can i get for it? Would 2500 be wildly optimistic? The seem to be anywhere between 500 to 3500 on Dung Deal for an 06 1.8 diesel.

edit:
    It would be comparable to this one:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-cmax-1-8d/11742598

I guess I could try for €2k and probably have to accept as low as €1.5k for it, so maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

What makes you think the turbo is gone? To be honest I would look at the whole charging system first before putting the low power down to the turbo being gone.

Are you planning to upgrade to a better car? If the car is well maintained and even if it needs a turbo it might be worthwhile fixing and keeping it. If I recall correctly you did the flywheel and clutch recently enough?

shietpilot wrote: »
    What makes you think the turbo is gone? To be honest I would look at the whole charging system first before putting the low power down to the turbo being gone.

Are you planning to upgrade to a better car? If the car is well maintained and even if it needs a turbo it might be worthwhile fixing and keeping it. If I recall correctly you did the flywheel and clutch recently enough?

Well recently is relative, it was at 250k km it had a clutch.
    When you're driving along and put the foot down, you hear a whoooop noise from the turbo, but you don't get any actual power, acceleration is a bit sluggish at this point. I'm guessing just wear and tear, the turbo has never been done, that is 10 years and 380k km, that would be a good bit for any turbo. I don't suspect any leaks, as they usually really mess up MPG, and that is OK, but I will definitely have a check of all the hoses.
    I am planning to move and the car has to go sadly and is being replaced by a Transit Connect in far worse condition as we speak. But it was cheap at leass than 700 squid. :D

Well recently is relative, it was at 250k km it had a clutch.
    When you're driving along and put the foot down, you hear a whoooop noise from the turbo, but you don't get any actual power, acceleration is a bit sluggish at this point. I'm guessing just wear and tear, the turbo has never been done, that is 10 years and 380k km, that would be a good bit for any turbo.
    I am planning to move and the car has to go sadly and is being replaced by a Transit Connect in far worse condition as we speak. But it was cheap at leass than 700 squid. :D

Sounds like a boost leak to be honest. Any black smoke when this happens? You've some mileage on it though, my Focus is at 226k now and hopefully it lasts just as long. Still on original flywheel though :(

These hoses are notorious for making leaks due to splits
    aa.jpg

I wonder how the EGR valve is also. Might we worth blanking it just to test it? I have a spare blanking plate in the boot if you would like to try it?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a boost leak to be honest. Any black smoke when this happens? You've some mileage on it though, my Focus is at 226k now and hopefully it lasts just as long. Still on original flywheel though :(

These hoses are notorious for making leaks due to splits

I wonder how the EGR valve is also. Might we worth blanking it just to test it? I have a spare blanking plate in the boot if you would like to try it?

That has split twice on me already and has been replaced with a sturdier hose, so that is fixed.
    Can't be EGR, the whooop noise is directly linked to turbo rpm.

edit:
    But worth checking anyway

That has split twice on me already and has been replaced with a sturdier hose, so that is fixed.
    Can't be EGR, the whooop noise is directly linked to turbo rpm.

edit:
    But worth checking anyway

Yeah you should. Boost piping easily removable for inspection if you remove the plastic splash guard from under the front bumper. Any little split will cause issues and in your case it could be tiny since your fuel consumption is decent.

I thought my turbo was toast before too. Turned out to be the exhaust manifold gasket had cracked and one of the stuts holding the manifold snapped. Sounded like this:

Totally different sound, I'll try to capture a video of it.

OK, that's the best I can do, you have to turn it up and listen closely, you can just about hear a whooping sound. It wasn't that bad today, but some days there is no power and just a loud whine.

The video is private :) Change it to unlisted or public, should work.

• Advertisement

The video is private :) Change it to unlisted or public, should work.

Having some issues with YoufcukingTube, working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Sounds fine to me. No need to worry.

I can hear it anyway, sounds like a whine or something, not the standard whoosh you get with a boost leak. I don't get anything like that on mine. If it's only happening on boost then it probably is the turbo :( Although the turbo actuator on the 1.8 TDCI is electric. It's quite possible the motor is forked and isn't operating the vanes properly. The actuator has a little electric motor inside, the noise almost sounds like a motor spinning freely to be honest but really I'm just guessing.

Quick image I found on Google Images of the motor from another Ford:
    post-5621-12837201566072.jpg

Honestly, I would get it properly diagnosed. No point making a loss on a perfectly running car with some turbo issues that could be minor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Too much road noise , what's it like reving it at a standstill ?

I can hear it anyway, sounds like a whine or something, not the standard whoosh you get with a boost leak. I don't get anything like that on mine. If it's only happening on boost then it probably is the turbo :( Although the turbo actuator on the 1.8 TDCI is electric. It's quite possible the motor is forked and isn't operating the vanes properly. The actuator has a little electric motor inside, the noise almost sounds like a motor spinning freely to be honest but really I'm just guessing.

Quick image I found on Google Images of the motor from another Ford:

Honestly, I would get it properly diagnosed. No point making a loss on a perfectly running car with some turbo issues that could be minor!

Well Dayyymmnn! I had no idea that such a gizmo existed in the bowels of my car. I also rang a guy in Ennis who recons turbos for a decent enough price and he reckons vanes as well.
    OK, the "new" Connect is with the mechanic right now who is looking at a rattling release bearing (well for <700 you'd expect some issues) so once that is on the road, the CMax will be taken apart, hoses inspected, vanes checked out and wherever that thingumabob is, I'll check it out too.

Bigus wrote: »
    Too much road noise , what's it like reving it at a standstill ?

This only happens when you rev the engine under load. When you rev if in neutral, it's fine.

Right, I'll report back. Would this be better off in DIY? There will be oily bits.

Well Dayyymmnn! I had no idea that such a gizmo existed in the bowels of my car. I also rang a guy in Ennis who recons turbos for a decent enough price and he reckons vanes as well.
    OK, the "new" Connect is with the mechanic right now who is looking at a rattling release bearing (well for <700 you'd expect some issues) so once that is on the road, the CMax will be taken apart, hoses inspected, vanes checked out and wherever that thingumabob is, I'll check it out too.

If you look at the turbo you will see it bolted onto the turbo. It's easy to see with the bonnet open.

I wonder if the Connect has the older vacuum actuator design though :p

If you look at the turbo you will see it bolted onto the turbo. It's easy to see with the bonnet open.

I wonder if the Connect has the older vacuum actuator design though :p

Oh the Connect is fine, that will also need new hoses from the intercooler to the inlet, they are gunked up already, so they're on their way out. The thing about the Connect, sh*tty as it looks it allegedly has only 225k km on it, but I'm not sure judging by the state of the steering wheel and pedal rubbers. But who would falsify mileage on a 11 year old, dirty, rusty Connect?
    Hope it's easy to see, I never looked at the turbo. If it's behind the engine, I will have to take off the scuttle panel and wipers and probably the undertray, as this may necessitate an oilchange?

You know, this is why I love YouTube (sometimes):

I can guarantee that the job will be done with none of the care displayed in that video. :D:p

Turbo should be easy enough to remove yourself anyway. I think you need to remove the undershield, a metal brace underneath, the catalytic converter comes off and then the turbo is ready to go.

I can get you the manual if you want :)

• Advertisement

Turbo should be easy enough to remove yourself anyway. I think you need to remove the undershield, a metal brace underneath, the catalytic converter comes off and then the turbo is ready to go.

I can get you the manual if you want :)

Anything that helps is welcome, thanks.

Advertisement