Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Trainer

Options
  • 12-07-2016 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking to get a turbo trainer for the winter months, whats the best one to get with out spending hugh money, also a computer that will work on the back wheel?

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

anyone got any feedback on this

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not quite sure what you mean by computer that will work on the back wheel OP, but the best turbo overview is probably DCRainmakers.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have a Tacx Vortex Smart. Can be got for about € 300. It's a very good piece of kit- you can use it for virtual reality rides or Zwift and it automatically adjusts resistance. Also has a built in power meter so great for power based intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This will do more than required for the average weekend warrior work with zwift/trainer road etc.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-blue-matic-t2650-smart-turbo-trainer

Order online and use you axa card in store it comes in around 145 euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sorry to hijack the thread, but also looking at Turbo's. Seems a bit mad in heat like this, but it's more for fitting in when the children are about when I wouldn't get a spin in...

I was pretty sure I was going to plump for the Turbo Muin direct drive (based on supposed noise levels). However, the Tacx Flow T2240 Smart is coming out cheaper even with the cost of a wheel* as I'd need a cassette for either option and that's before adding in the cost of the Elite sensor.

So what says boards? Is the smart option going to be significantly louder than the Muin?

My plan is most likely to follow a trainer road programme - so any significant advantage with the smart option ahead of the muin for that?

Is there anything I'm missing from consideration? Stick with a dumb trainer and get a power meter instead?

*disc brake bike, so I believe I can't get a bog standard turbo wheel, so even accounting for getting a disc wheel for the turbo it's still coming out cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nilhg wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you mean by computer that will work on the back wheel OP
    i assume it's a reference to the cycle computers that mount a magnet on the front wheel and sensor on the fork, which can be routed to the back wheel as the front wheel won't be spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I can only comment on the Elite muin because that's what I have but I like it. It does make some noise, it wouldn't be completely quiet, but it's more the noise coming from your bike/drivetrain. There is a bit of buzz off it that can travel through floor boards, I have it on a mat I got in aldi and it's grand. Just letting you know it's not completely silent. It does feel fairly realistic though and is very sturdy. The virtual power from trainer road matches pretty well too, I had it and got a power meter and trainer road was around 10w lower than the PM so close enough.

I will be selling it in the next month or so if you are interested, I got a good price on a new kickr. It has a ten speed cassette on it, kickr comes with a brand new 11 speed so you could have choice of cassettes. I hope this is allowed and if not I apologise for jumping on your thread.

HI looking at either this model

Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer

or

Tacx Blue Matic T2650 Smart Turbo Trainer Bundle with Tacx Mat & Riser Block

just wondering where is the cheapest place to buy same?

Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Probably one of the German online retailers - Bike24.com seem to be a bit cheaper than Wiggle & CRC, but you would need to take into account shipping costs as well

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Also in the market now......wiggle do seem cheaper when postage, for bike24, is factored in

• Advertisement

Halfords are doing this for 180e which insist so bad?

Tacx Blue Matic T2650 Smart Turbo Trainer Bundle with Tacx Mat & Riser Block

does anyone know what the noise levels are like on this trainer?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

No personal experience but if you put the trainer in as a YouTube search you will usually find a video giving an idea of noise levels

tech wrote: »

None of them are silent and to be honest they're all fairly similar levels.

How quiet do you need it to be? The mechanics of a bike in motion are generally the nosiest part.

I use mine in the kitchen with 4 kids asleep upstairs and wife in the sitting room and no complaints. I now have the tacx flow before I had the satori which was slightly nosier but it had a lot more mileage on it.

Is this a bitter buy than the blue matic ?

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

for the extra 100e

Is this a bitter buy than the blue matic ?

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

for the extra 100e

That's the one I have and if you plan on using it with zwift it's ideal as it has automatic resistance adjustment the other you linked is all manual.

It's not very loud I can post a clip of the noise it makes in the morning.

If you have or know someone with an axa card you'll get a further 10% off which makes it more attractive.

that would be great thanks

has oneone bought a trainer lately?

has oneone bought a trainer lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm also looking for one to try with Zwift, ideally with automatic resistance adjustment and probably buying online. Will look at DC Rainmaker but any suggestions / what price range should I be looking in?

Ues also looking for zwift trainer

well who bought a trainer and what make and model is it ? and di you find them good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Posted this to our club email distro list a couple of days ago

"Still summer I know but if anybody is looking at buying or upgrading a turbo trainer for the winter there is a great price on the Elite Turbo Muin II at wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-turbo-muin-ii-fluid-direct-drive-trainer/

I bought one of these early March for 374 euro after my old one broke and this was the best price obtainable after quite a bit of shopping around.

The negatives are that it is heavy and doesn't fold but if you can live with these two things it is a great trainer. Many other trainers are miserable to work with and would put you completely off indoor cycling but the combination of fluid based resistance and direct drive make this a comparative joy to use.

You can also buy an add on which you put inside a compartment and this transmits speed, cadence and power to your garmin or any other ant+ compatible head unit:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-misuro-b-bluetoothant-speedcadence-sensor/
    http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/global/trainers/sensors/misuro-b

So you effectively have a power meter without the expense of buying one (for your bike) and this gives a lot more structure and focus to any training you may do with it."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Posted this to our club email distro list a couple of days ago

"Still summer I know but if anybody is looking at buying or upgrading a turbo trainer for the winter there is a great price on the Elite Turbo Muin II at wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-turbo-muin-ii-fluid-direct-drive-trainer/

I bought one of these early March for 374 euro after my old one broke and this was the best price obtainable after quite a bit of shopping around.

The negatives are that it is heavy and doesn't fold but if you can live with these two things it is a great trainer. Many other trainers are miserable to work with and would put you completely off indoor cycling but the combination of fluid based resistance and direct drive make this a comparative joy to use.

You can also buy an add on which you put inside a compartment and this transmits speed, cadence and power to your garmin or any other ant+ compatible head unit:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-misuro-b-bluetoothant-speedcadence-sensor/
    http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/global/trainers/sensors/misuro-b

So you effectively have a power meter without the expense of buying one (for your bike) and this gives a lot more structure and focus to any training you may do with it."

I have purchased this for €270 in Halfords and used my Stages with it. Only used once so far but very pleased with and a cost effective way to get a direct drive turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Could you use it for Zwift etc? Certainly looks a good price for direct drive

You have to buy the add on for ant / bluetooth.

Could you use it for Zwift etc? Certainly looks a good price for direct drive
    You have to buy the add on for ant / bluetooth.

You wouldn't get the automated resistance changes which kind of makes zwift to be honest.

A good turbo though I almost bought one myself

So what would u recommend to purchase so that will work food with zwift??

• Advertisement

So what would u recommend to purchase so that will work food with zwift??

The best turbos are direct mount smart turbo trainers.

The best smart one would be the tacx Neo or possibly the wahoo one but that's only if you're after one for zwift with all it's features. The above one would be grand with zwift but it wont change the resistance to suit the gradient as far as I'm aware.

I may be wrong but I think it' only magnetic resistance turbos that have the auto resistance feature.

Advertisement