Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'or Who breaks the Duo?

• 12-07-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a bit early to discuss but I've been thinking about it for awhile.

It's been 2007 since neither Ronaldo or Messi won the Ballon D'or. Nearly a decade and nobody getting near the top 2 players.

With Ronaldo at 2/9 to win the next Ballon D'or doesn't look likely that anybody is breaking the duo for the next one.

But I'm curious as to who people think will and when it will happen?

Will be get another 3-4 years of the big 2 winning it? Or will some superstar come and take it off them.

As for players playing right now, I'd go with Suarez, but I don't think there's ever a chance FIFA would give him the Ballon D'or based on his antics.

Aside from that I'd assume we'd be looking at Neymar/Bale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Suarez deserves it so far this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Suarez deserves it but Ronnie will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Antoine Griezmann is the only one with a chance to spoil another party for Ronaldo or Messi.

Luis Suarez probably should get it but it's unlikely I think seeing as he is playing on the same team as Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are by far the two best players on the planet, but more than that, they repeatedly demonstrate that they are the two best players on the planet. It doesn't matter that nobody else has won it in a decade, they aren't winning it based on past glories, they are winning it because they are scoring 50/60 goals a season when before them 30 goals was considered a brilliant season.

I read a poster the other day actually writing the words "nobody has had an outstanding season". How tone deaf do you have to be to even write that? Ronaldo had 51 goals in 48 club games, won the CL and the Euros. Messi got 41 goals and won La Liga again. How the **** are those not outstanding seasons?

Who will break their Balon D'or dominance? Who knows. But I just hope that whoever does take it from them gets it because he was better than them, not because people want a change or because the top two get hamstrung by their own sky high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If Griezmann had been on the winning team in both the finals he's be a dead cert for it but his team lost both and Ronaldo's team won both.

Ronaldo is nailed on for it regardless of what happens in the rest of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Antoine Griezmann would be nice, Suarez will never win it for reasons that have nothing to do with playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Antoine Greizmann has not been the best player in the world this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In all likelihood it'll be somebody who plays for either Real or Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I think a few people are forgetting about neymar he has gone from strength to strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think Neymar will be the next to win it after Ronaldo or Messi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Antoine Griezmann would be nice, Suarez will never win it for reasons that have nothing to do with playing football.
    His own fault though, you can't go around biting and constantly elbowing people and not expect people to hold it against you. I don't think Suarez will ever be quite number 1 in any case, but I think he has ruled himself out anyway as you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think it should be Suarez but it will go to Ronaldo and after winning the UCL and Euros I wouldnt really begrudge him either because he was fantastic in the UCL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think Bale has the potential to get it. But this might be wishful thinking on my part as I feel it would annoy Ronaldo! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It should be Suarez.
    It will be Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

SlickRic wrote: »
    It should be Suarez.
    It will be Ronaldo.

Who's the Duo so? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Who's the Duo so? ;)

13124-01_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It should be Ronaldo
    It will be Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

If football were right and just then the answer to this question would be Sergio Busquets. Alas football is not just so Busquets will never win an individual award. In reality, it will be Neymar. The crown prince has extended his stay at Barcelona, football is at his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There'll be a few more years of them, that's for sure. Can't see any else taking it from with the way they've played this year.

Of other possible contenders right now, Suarez is first in line. Unfortunately for him, he's around their age so he might not get a chance.

After Suarez, Bale, Neymar and Griezmann are in the category of probably being at the top of their game when the two modern greats start winding down.

I can see the likes of Martial and Kane being up there a few years later.

There'll be a few more years of them, that's for sure. Can't see any else taking it from with the way they've played this year.

Of other possible contenders right now, Suarez is first in line. Unfortunately for him, he's around their age so he might not get a chance.

After Suarez, Bale, Neymar and Griezmann are in the category of probably being at the top of their game when the two modern greats start winding down.

I can see the likes of Martial and Kane being up there a few years later.

If Kane wins the Balon D'or consider me retired from football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If Kane wins the Balon D'or consider me retired from football.

You said you retired from this forum before. I can't take these claims seriously now :pac:

You said you retired from this forum before. I can't take these claims seriously now :pac:

If Kane ever seriously ends up in the running for the Balon D'or then I know football has jumped the shark and I'll never be able to take it seriously again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Kane's only 22, he's played in a major tournament (even if he was crap, it's still experience) and will play in the CL next year. He's got a lot of room for improvement but if he continues developing the way he has, he can become the best English player of his generation. He could also be a flop, we have no idea how it'll turn out.

I don't think it's that big a stretch of the imagination to think he could challenge for it in seven/eight years time when the likes of Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez will be gone and Bale, Griezmann and Neymar will most likely be winding down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Those reasons that have nothing to do with football wouldn't happen to have anything to do with what he has infamously done while playing football, would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If football were right and just then the answer to this question would be Sergio Busquets. Alas football is not just so Busquets will never win an individual award. In reality, it will be Neymar. The crown prince has extended his stay at Barcelona, football is at his feet.

Haven't been playing too close attention to him this year but I definitely agree on the sentiment. It grates me that Beckenbauer is the only non-all-attacking player widely considered a GOAT contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I'd say Ronaldo will win the award this year, but I think within the next 3 years we could see the Ronny/Messi dominance come to an end. And I reckon it'll be Bale who dethrones the duo. As for other contenders, I think with the right manager (and he should have that now) Anthony Martial has the potential to become a Ballon D'Or winner. But I don't think it'll happen within the next 3/4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Kane's only 22, he's played in a major tournament (even if he was crap, it's still experience) and will play in the CL next year. He's got a lot of room for improvement but if he continues developing the way he has, he can become the best English player of his generation. He could also be a flop, we have no idea how it'll turn out.

I don't think it's that big a stretch of the imagination to think he could challenge for it in seven/eight years time when the likes of Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez will be gone and Bale, Griezmann and Neymar will most likely be winding down.

Just on Kane, hes younger and has already had 2 better seasons for Spurs than BAles best ever season for Spurs that seen him move to Madrid.

Its not too far fetched to imagine that he'll be in the running for the Balon D'or if he has another 2 or 3 seasons if that kind of form of scoring clost to 30 goals for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just on Kane, hes younger and has already had 2 better seasons for Spurs than BAles best ever season for Spurs that seen him move to Madrid.
    Ah now, he hasn't. He's scored a few more goals (in a few more games), but Bales last season with Spurs was brilliant, everything went through him. I remember constant last minute 30 yard winners. Kane hasn't ever been better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

I thought Will Griggs would have a chance

Almost made it to the last selection

He is on par with Pogba though

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/will-griggs-on-fire-northern-ireland-man-on-list-of-best-players-in-europe-alongside-100million-man-paul-pogba-34892286.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think it should be suarez this year but its going to be ronaldo after winning the euros. wouldn't be surprised if messi misses out on the top 3 this year the injuries did not help him this year.

I think after this year ronaldo and messi grip will lessen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ah now, he hasn't. He's scored a few more goals (in a few more games), but Bales last season with Spurs was brilliant, everything went through him. I remember constant last minute 30 yard winners. Kane hasn't ever been better than that.

Totally agree bale was incredible in his last season with spurs. Comfortably a level above what kane has produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Considering Ronaldo will go in with a Champions League and Euros under his belt, can't see him not winning, and somewhat deservedly so.

A really great season from Suarez, but Ronaldo still managed 35 league goals, continuing an absolutely ridiculous run of goal scoring form. 16 Champions league goals (double Suarez) and to be honest I can't really see anything but a Ronaldo outcome, and deservedly so.

1) Ronaldo
    2) Suarez
    3) Messi

Hard to say who I think will break the monopoly, the goalscoring feats being acquired by many is making it hard to look past strikers, although it always grates me, considering there is so many whipping matches for Real and Barca in La Liga.

For a total sideways shout I'd say Toni Kroos. Amassed an impressive cabinet at 26 years old, and I can only see it growing, especially with his peak years arriving. Surprises me still how some people can view him negatively and in some quarters I'd laughable say he is still underrated. An incredible midfield visionary, that for some reason people still feel uneasy calling "world class" even though there isn't a debate to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It should be Suarez. I would have had absolutely no doubts about this before the EUROS.

His goal and assists stats are better than Ronaldo and Messi's this year.

However, Madrid won the CL and Portugal the Euros (despite Ronaldo not being at his best) and I doubt this fact will be discounted when the voting is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/spanish-la-liga/top-scorers

Suarez's goals and assists absolutely dwarf that of Griezeman at club level last year. You are talking 40 vs 22.

More than triple the number of assists.

Also comfortably enough better than Ronaldo's.

I think he is going to be incredibly unfortunate to lose out. This straight shootout between Messi and Ronaldo usually gets decided, in a a big part at least, to the number of goals they score or assist but Ronnie has two European titles with this clubs this season which will be judged higher than a La Liga title.

Advertisement