Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a gentle cleanser?

Options
  • 12-07-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

As title. I don't wear make-up so I'm really just looking for a gentle cleanser that I can use before I go to bed. My skin tends to be very dry, with the occasional spot or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭d4b

I would highly recommend the Le Roche Posay range, they are so gentle on the skin and really affordable x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Trilogy is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Thanks looking at their website now! Which cleanser do you use? I'm looking at a gel one but I've always been a bit wary of gel cleansers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser.

Ive extremely dry/sensitive/redness/acne prone skin.

I used la roche posey for months with little difference and the money spent on dermalogica has been so worth it.

Their barrier repair cream is excellent also.

rawn wrote: »
    Thanks looking at their website now! Which cleanser do you use? I'm looking at a gel one but I've always been a bit wary of gel cleansers...

For dry skin you should use a milk/ cream cleanser ideally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

Hi
    I use REN ever calm gentle cleansing milk and I really like it . I like the smell and my face feels really clean after I use it. And it's not hugely expensive: €20 I think

What moisturiser do you use? There's probably a cleanser in the range.

What moisturiser do you use? There's probably a cleanser in the range.

I'm still on the market for a good moisturizer! I'm currently using one I got from a Birchbox but I'm not too keen on it. I've never found a moisturizer that I've found helps my skin, they all seem to work the same.

piptypibe wrote: »
    Hi
    I use REN ever calm gentle cleansing milk and I really like it . I like the smell and my face feels really clean after I use it. And it's not hugely expensive: €20 I think

I like the sound of that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Cetaphil Cleanser, available in Boots and Superdrug. Recommended by a dermatologist to me. Soap free.

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    I'm still on the market for a good moisturizer! I'm currently using one I got from a Birchbox but I'm not too keen on it. I've never found a moisturizer that I've found helps my skin, they all seem to work the same.

If your skin is very dry a good moisturiser is as important as a cleanser.

Try the trilogy sensitive range it's very good!

ETA cloud 10 beauty sell a trial pack for about €20 of cleanser, moisturiser and something else I forgot in a few different trilogy sets. I'd try the sensitive one if your skin Is very dry.

sassyj wrote: »
    Cetaphil Cleanser, available in Boots and Superdrug. Recommended by a dermatologist to me. Soap free.

I like the look if this one! I have a good cleanser for the rare occasion I wear makeup but I was looking for something really light just for day-to-day, this looks perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I have sensitive combination skin and I'd recommend Anne French cleansing milk. I used it for years. Works great and only €5 a bottle. I use the miscellar cleansing water now. Good budget options worth trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I use the Clinique Gentle Foaming Cleanser.

I've probably used it for about 12 years at this point. I've tried a few others but always gone back to this.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Clinique-Rinse-Off-Foaming-Cleanser-for-Dry-Combination-to-Normal-Skin-Types-150ml_4708/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Hot cloth cleansers are lovely, they'll leave your skin so soft. There are a tonne out there but I'd recommend Liz Earle if you want to splash out or una Brennan rose cream cleanser for something more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I have skin that tends towards dry but gets the occasional spot. I also rarely wear make up.
    As a daily routine I find Clarins green toner to work well for me in place of a cleanser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I changed To the la Roche posay micellar water cleanser. I love it will never go back to facial wash type cleansers.
    Skin tends to dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

For face wash in the shower I use Kiehls Ultra Facial Cleanser which is about 18e for what is in effect a year's supply! It's a great cleanser, doesn't give that tight dry feeling at all.

At night to take my make-up off I use the Lush Ultra Bland. I use some strong acne topical creams so using this as the cleanser helps my skin not dry out.

Hi OP,

Was on the boots website looking to see if they had something in stock and came accross this.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Bioderma-Atoderm-Intensive-Gel-Moussant-200ml_1734054/

For the money, I'd say its worth a try :)

I've not used this exact product, but I've tried a few things from the Bioderma range and generally find it very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I've went back to using rose water. Pharmacy stock it circa €11 for a huge bottle. Mildly astringent so helps with the spots.

Nivea extracts for moisturising.

I've found the less I use on my face lately the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I made a switch to Roche Posay before xmas-never been so impressed with products. Skin tis thriving. I use the EFFACLAR range, but they do products for sensitive skin or reddish skin- look out for offers like 2 for 20 and often I find rural pharmacies have more frequent offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I made a switch to Roche Posay before xmas-never been so impressed with products. Skin tis thriving. I use the EFFACLAR range, but they do products for sensitive skin or reddish skin- look out for offers like 2 for 20 and often I find rural pharmacies have more frequent offers!

La Roche Posay has been recommended to me a few times but I end up just getting so confused with all the options every time I look into trying it.

I have combination skin that's veering towards dehydrated lately and I'm currently using Silcocks Base as a cleanser. It's cheap and gentle and doesn't dry me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I have combination dehydrated sensitive skin. The dry parts tend to be very dry. I also like the Dermalogica Ultracalming cleanser, but recently have switched to the La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser. I've found this works much better for me if I rinse it off with tepid water, as my skin feels much more hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I've been using la Roche posay for the last 6 months or so and I love it. Toleraine foaming face wash is a brilliant cleanser so my intolerant skin! Which is dry and prone to hormonal spots that hang around all month and redness :( I use effaclar + for that and toleraine fluid as moisturiser. I've seen great improvements overall.
    Highly recommend, as some one mentioned they are often on special offer. But as I mix and match from different lines that usually doesn't help me. The offers always seem to be on multiples of the same line.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I have incredibly sensitive and intolerant skin, I'd tried so many so called products for sensitive skin and many made it worse.
    About 6 months ago I started using moo goo oil cleanser, best thing ever! I use it along with a muslin cloth and haven't had a single reaction. It's about 22 euro but last ages, think I had mine over 5 mths. I also use Aveeno moisturiser for anti redness/ calming which has spf in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Micellar is the only cleanser I would ever use now. Cheap as chips and well researched and tested. You can even buy it in the supermarket; how handy is that!

I think everyone should try it at least once, I have given it to loads of friends to try out and every one of them use it now!

I know I sound like a zealot or a product rep (I'm neither), I'm just a satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Another vote for La Roche Posay. Large pharmacies usually have someone trained in recommending which products would suit you, and they are very generous with free samples so you can try something out first before buying. All my cleansers, moisturisers, shampoo are La roche posay now.

Micellar is the only cleanser I would ever use now. Cheap as chips and well researched and tested. You can even buy it in the supermarket; how handy is that!

I think everyone should try it at least once, I have given it to loads of friends to try out and every one of them use it now!

I know I sound like a zealot or a product rep (I'm neither), I'm just a satisfied customer.

I think Micellar water is great for taking your make up off and a quick cleanse at times, but theres no substitute for a proper cleanse with a sink full of warm water, towel or sponge and a wash off cleanser at least once a day IMO. I'd also add that you should exfoliate once or twice a week, it makes a huge difference. Micellar water alone is just a "surface clean".

Also, there are many different types of Micellar water, and I've tried a good few of them, like L'Oreal, Garnier, ete but I think the original one is best, Bioderma.

Bioderma is only available in certain pharmacies and costs €16 for 500mls, so its considerably more expensive than some of the other options but it feels so much more gentle on my skin so I'm happy to pay for it.

I agree with Sarah.

For a double cleanse I would use a Micellar but on its own it can actually be quite drying. It also won't fully remove makeup/ build up on the skin.

For sensitive skin a cream cleanser is a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Third that! Micellar water doesn't agree with my skin as a solo cleanse, the residue gives me breakouts.

Advertisement