Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a gentle cleanser?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I think Micellar water is great for taking your make up off and a quick cleanse at times, but theres no substitute for a proper cleanse with a sink full of warm water, towel or sponge and a wash off cleanser at least once a day IMO. I'd also add that you should exfoliate once or twice a week, it makes a huge difference. Micellar water alone is just a "surface clean".

Also, there are many different types of Micellar water, and I've tried a good few of them, like L'Oreal, Garnier, ete but I think the original one is best, Bioderma.

Bioderma is only available in certain pharmacies and costs €16 for 500mls, so its considerably more expensive than some of the other options but it feels so much more gentle on my skin so I'm happy to pay for it.
    I agree with Sarah.

For a double cleanse I would use a Micellar but on its own it can actually be quite drying. It also won't fully remove makeup/ build up on the skin.

For sensitive skin a cream cleanser is a must.
    GingerLily wrote: »
    Third that! Micellar water doesn't agree with my skin as a solo cleanse, the residue gives me breakouts.

Honestly, that's each of your skin and its needs not the OPs.

I listened to advice like that for years and suffered for years as a result.

Even now, if I happen to mention to one of the so called "expert" Clarins saleswomen that I find the toner completely adequate as a standalone cleanser, they give me a look of horror and try to talk me out of it and sell me their creamy thick cleansers that either give me super dry skin or spots. Any foaming facewash I tried had the same results.

Eventually I learned to trust my skin and personal experience against advice from people more "into" make up and skin care and I've never looked back.

Whether it's recommended or not, a routine you can maintain and that works is inevitably the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I think Micellar water is great for taking your make up off and a quick cleanse at times, but theres no substitute for a proper cleanse with a sink full of warm water, towel or sponge and a wash off cleanser at least once a day IMO. I'd also add that you should exfoliate once or twice a week, it makes a huge difference. Micellar water alone is just a "surface clean".

Also, there are many different types of Micellar water, and I've tried a good few of them, like L'Oreal, Garnier, ete but I think the original one is best, Bioderma.

Bioderma is only available in certain pharmacies and costs 16 for 500mls, so its considerably more expensive than some of the other options but it feels so much more gentle on my skin so I'm happy to pay for it.
    I agree with Sarah.

For a double cleanse I would use a Micellar but on its own it can actually be quite drying. It also won't fully remove makeup/ build up on the skin.

For sensitive skin a cream cleanser is a must.
    GingerLily wrote: »
    Third that! Micellar water doesn't agree with my skin as a solo cleanse, the residue gives me breakouts.

Even now, if I happen to mention to one of the so called "expert" Clarins saleswomen that I find the toner completely adequate as a standalone cleanser, they give me a look of horror and try to talk me out of it and sell me their creamy thick cleansers that either give me super dry skin or spots. Any foaming facewash I tried had the same results.

Eventually I learned to trust my skin and personal experience against advice from people more "into" make up and skin care and I've never looked back.

Whether it's recommended or not, a routine you can maintain and that works is inevitably the best approach.

I completely agree, but I was just sharing my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Of course, thats all any of us can do is give advice based on our own experience.

To put it into context however, I really struggled with my skin as a teenager so I probably put a fair bit of thought into my skincare routine. I've seen various dermatologists over the years who have guided my thinking in this area and I still go to a nurse practitioner who works under a consultant dermatologist every few months for microderm etc, and thats where I'd get my skincare advice.

Again, this is only my opinion but I wouldnt class someone working behind a Clarins (or any department store brand for that matter) counter as a skincare expert. They'll only know what they've been told by their employer and it doesnt mean that their products would be suitable for people who have problem skin.

I've also had friends who have been extremely excited about Micellar water upon first using it only for the shine to wear off after a while as they developed problems with residue, clogged pores etc.

I also still use it myself, but I'm of the opinion that is part of my toolkit, but not some magic bullet soltuion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OP here, completely forgot to report back! Thanks all for the advice and suggestions they came in very handy! I went into Boots with boards opened on this page, ended up buying La Roche Miscellar Water for sensitive skin as it was half price. So far so good, I've had a breakout on my chin since I started using it but that could be a coincidence! But in general it feels great, my skin feels fresher and there's little to no tightness. I'm now on the market for a good moisturiser to go with it, my skin gets very dry/flaky at times but mostly what I want to focus on is trying to even out my skin tone. My chin and around my nose (where I tend to get spots) are red in appearance, it's extra obvious since I rarely wear makeup? Is there anything that can even out the complexion? Sometimes I look in the mirror and my chin looks like a red traffic light!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Bobbi brown colour correcting cream is great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

On advice from here, I went to my local pharmacy and talked to a lady about the la roch posay range. I was given a weeks supply of the tolerant range cleanser and moisturiser.

My skin feels so much better and less irritated. Small chin break out atm but that's hormonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I use la Roche posay miceller water
    I was never happy with the moisturizer so I switched to the avene range and I think it's excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

See pic attached for details of avene moistoirisees

Jour - day cream
    Other one I use by night

Lisha wrote: »

Jour - day cream
    Other one I use by night

Thanks so much!

Lisha wrote: »

Jour - day cream
    Other one I use by night

I have Rosascea and was using this for months and it made no difference. It's amazing how everyones skin differs!

• Advertisement

I have Rosascea and was using this for months and it made no difference. It's amazing how everyones skin differs!

Is there is difference between rosacea and general redness of the skin? I ask because I dunno what to call my red skin, and everytime I google it rosacea comes up... My dad has that around his nose and the skin is kinda swollen and red, whereas mine just looks red

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelleryan86

Una Brennan products are vey nice to use. There is a vitamin c cleansing oil that is very gentle, also trying the cleansing balms available on the market, the body shop have a camomile one that's gotten good reviews, very hydrating. For very gentle you can also use oat flakes on your skin, fill the skin with warm water and add some porridge oats then wet your face and scoop the oats into your hands and massage your skin. It will even help with your occasional spots. Lush also have some great products and are made with natural ingredients.

rawn wrote: »
    Is there is difference between rosacea and general redness of the skin? I ask because I dunno what to call my red skin, and everytime I google it rosacea comes up... My dad has that around his nose and the skin is kinda swollen and red, whereas mine just looks red

Is it there consistently? Does it also get worse in certain conditions like change in temperate or if you drink alcohol?

Is it there consistently? Does it also get worse in certain conditions like change in temperate or if you drink alcohol?

No it seems to be always there! I haven't drank alcohol on 3 months and it's still prominent. I think the sun makes it a bit redder though

rawn wrote: »
    No it seems to be always there! I haven't drank alcohol on 3 months and it's still prominent. I think the sun makes it a bit redder though

That definitely sounds like Rosacea so

That definitely sounds like Rosacea so

Damn! Good to know!

Advertisement