Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immigrating for one year. Possible to avoid gap in cover on Private Health Insurance?

• 12-07-2016 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am emigrating to New Zealand for one year commencing in October and have been in touch with my health insurer (Glo Health) about same. They have told me that they cannot insure me whilst I travel as they only allow their policy holders to travel up to 6 months at a time whilst under cover. I had also asked them if it was possible to put a freeze on my policy for the 12 months whilst I travel and then resume cover when I return, but this was also denied.

I made contact with other health insurers; Aallinaz, Aviva and VHI and it would appear VHI are the only company in ireland that offer "International Insurance Policies" that would cover me whilst I travel without resulting in a a gap in cover but they are quoting 90 euros a month which i could not afford whilst travelling on top of other expenses.

I am adamant about keeping my health insurance whilst I travel as I have had a few health complaints over the past two years that may very well prove to be an issue in years to come (possibly) and if I forfeit my health insurance whilst I travel, i will loose the past 3 years of the 5 year "waiting period" I must serve as these few health complaints are "pre-existing" conditions that I had before I ever took out health Insurance for the first time.

Would anybody have any additional suggestions on how it may be possible to keep my health insurance going while i travel? Is there possibly external companies outside Ireland or similar that could insure me while i travel and then resume cover when I return to Ireland?

Many thanks for any input/ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you cannot afford E90 per month, then I doubt it. How does that compare with your regular premuim? What have you been quoted for a year's travel insurance?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You could continue with your existing policy or switch to another basic policy while you're away. It wouldn't cover you while you're away but would mean you don't have a gap in cover.

Advertisement