Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after release will Vodafone have IPhone 7?

Options
  • 12-07-2016 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi due an upgrade,moving off android ,was gonna get SE or 6S but seeing as the 7 should be out in September I might just wait for that. Do Vodafone usually have the new models at launch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Ireland are usually in the second wave of release (a few weeks after the first wave - US, China, Australia, UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Ireland are usually in the second wave of release (a few weeks after the first wave - US, China, Australia, UK).

So prob october\november so. Pretty sure I'll crack before then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep in mind that the 7 (if it's called that) is not going to be a huge upgrade over the 6s. Design will be pretty similar. The bigger change is coming in 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Keep in mind that the 7 (if it's called that) is not going to be a huge upgrade over the 6s. Design will be pretty similar. The bigger change is coming in 2017.

But bar a 3d screen and a superzoom camera with 8k video, which isn't going to happen, is there really much more they can do to have a completely new product that will blow people away next year?

I can really only see relatively small upgrades year on year going forward for the iPhone. Ideally though, I'd like to see a sim free phone and preferably have the squared edges back (Like on the 5, 5s, SE) because the 6 and 6s are hard to keep hold of unless you have a case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

smash wrote: »
    But bar a 3d screen and a superzoom camera with 8k video, which isn't going to happen, is there really much more they can do to have a completely new product that will blow people away next year?

I can really only see relatively small upgrades year on year going forward for the iPhone. Ideally though, I'd like to see a sim free phone and preferably have the squared edges back (Like on the 5, 5s, SE) because the 6 and 6s are hard to keep hold of unless you have a case.

Well, it's expected that they will integrate Touch ID into the display, resulting in a significantly smaller top and bottom bezel with no home button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well, it's expected that they will integrate Touch ID into the display, resulting in a significantly smaller top and bottom bezel with no home button.

That would be nice. Hard to think of any more killer features for phones at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Vodafone usually start shipping via An Post the day before general Irish release, that's how it's worked for me with iPhone's 4, 5 & 6 (and my OH's SE)

Nice, but we've been hearing that for years and it's still not ground breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looks like iPhione 8 (or whatever 2017's model will be called) will be a complete overhaul without any bezels.

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/

Looks like this years model won't be a big release and I would personally wait for next year's.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Will 6s drop in price at releases of 7? Or will they stay as they are as will be near Christmas?
    Out of contract with vodafone but new contract options are sh*te. Doesn't seem to be any reward for long term customers.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Out of contract with vodafone but new contract options are sh*te. Doesn't seem to be any reward for long term customers.

Don't think that the other networks will be any better. At least with Vodafone they have an option to upgrade every year (depending on the contract) so when the 8 arrives you'll get one.

In saying that, the 8 will be 2 years away if you look at the release history so 7 this year, 7s next year and then the 8 the following year.

Don't think that the other networks will be any better. At least with Vodafone they have an option to upgrade every year (depending on the contract) so when the 8 arrives you'll get one.

In saying that, the 8 will be 2 years away if you look at the release history so 7 this year, 7s next year and then the 8 the following year.

No, this year will be basically the 6ss, though they may call it the 7. Then next year will be the 7 or the 8.

Apple appear to be switching from a tick-tock release strategy to a tick-tock-tock. So the same design will be around for 3 years instead of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

I think I will keep my 6 and go on a cheaper sim only plan with a good data allowance (who else other than Three or Three mvno?) for two years until the 8 comes out.

There's nothing interesting me in the rumours about the 7 so far. Maybe in 2 years tech will have moved on a good bit more and there'll be more worthwhile features.

Col_30 wrote: »
    Maybe in 2 years tech will have moved on a good bit more and there'll be more worthwhile features.

Maybe they'll launch an eye phone like in that episode of futurama...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone as well so the rumour is they'll do something big for that.

I think I will keep my 6 and go on a cheaper sim only plan with a good data allowance (who else other than Three or Three mvno?) for two years until the 8 comes out.

There's nothing interesting me in the rumours about the 7 so far. Maybe in 2 years tech will have moved on a good bit more and there'll be more worthwhile features.

I am in the same boat and will most likely do the same. It's not two years by the way, looking at September - November next year. I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

murpho999 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat and will most likely do the same. It's not two years by the way, looking at September - November next year. I can live with that.

So you think iPhone 8 Sept 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd say they'll be dropping the number next year and just call it iPhone. As for this year, well there's a chance you might want the 6s when you see it.

What do you guys make of the rumours of an iPhone 6sPro instead of a 7?

Well I don't know for definite what it will be called but as I showed in the article I posted earlier, here it is again, it looks like next years phone is going to be a radical redesign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

There's just no way to know about iPhone 8. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got a 6S last week and I much prefer the round edges. Also mine was SIM free.

GvidoR wrote: »
    Got a 6S last week and I much prefer the round edges. Also mine was SIM free.

How's the battery life? Trying to hold out for the 7 but think I'm gonna crack.battery life on 6s is the major thing I'm wary of

LaGlisse wrote: »
    How's the battery life? Trying to hold out for the 7 but think I'm gonna crack.battery life on 6s is the major thing I'm wary of

Actually better than I expected. With Facebook, WhatsApp, Pokemon GO* and other stuff lasts all day.

*depends how many pokemons you are running after. :P

GvidoR wrote: »
    Actually better than I expected. With Facebook, WhatsApp, Pokemon GO* and other stuff lasts all day.

*depends how many pokemons you are running after. :P

I'd prob be grand so,main use is a few hours browsing + Spotify and casting youtube\movies at the weekend. Have a feeling a lot of the battery gripes online are from lads running graphically intensive games and streaming HD movies for hours on end.
    Don't use Facebook either, apparently that eats battery too,hmm might just plunge for it seeing as it seems unlikely the 7 is going to be a great leap forward,plus no headphone jack is no good for me using it in my car

The 6S is great. You can always get a power bank or something to charge it up but it should last the whole day on normal/medium use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm waiting for the new iPhone myself, and going to pick it up as soon as its out. I'm using a 5c at the moment so I'll definitely be upgrading, even if it's a smaller update. I will probably upgrade to the next years one too though depending on what it is.

Most rumours lately have suggested that Apple will release this years iPhone a little earlier than previous ones. The US release is supposed to be in the next 6 weeks. Ireland could be 7, and with the smaller demand and similar design I'd imagine that could be the case. The even is suppose to happen early September, so might be worth waiting OP. The 6s will most likely drop in price by 100 so either way it's a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 videopirate

Using a 5s and will definitely be upgrading to a 6s or a 7. If there's not much of a leap in technology between the latter two, I'll probably go for the cheaper 6s Plus.

Besides, I'm not sure I'm ready to completely give up the headphone jack. Even if I do have bluetooth earphones. :) I know there'll be an adapter, but....nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Besides, I'm not sure I'm ready to completely give up the headphone jack. Even if I do have bluetooth earphones. :) I know there'll be an adapter, but....nah.

No headphone jack, no sale for me. I've Bluetooth headphones as well but with charging they can be a pain in the hole. I also don't think they're the most stable things. I've at least three wired buds that I keep in various places (desk drawer, car etc) should I need them. I'm not messing around with carrying an adapter everywhere and I'll be ****ed if I'm buying multiple 29.99 adapters for each one I've stashed.

• Advertisement

Using a 5s and will definitely be upgrading to a 6s or a 7. If there's not much of a leap in technology between the latter two, I'll probably go for the cheaper 6s Plus.

same as,almost cracked and bought a 6S last week. Gonna wait and see what 7 has to offer, no headphone jack not a dealbreaker for me as i never use headphones anyway, just use the jack for playing music in car but adapter will sort that.
    If normal 7 isnt a major upgrade or doesnt have improved battery life im pretty tempted by the 6+ and should drop in price, beast of a phone with great battery life

Advertisement