Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network - parts help

Options
  • 12-07-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello,

Once again, I come to the experts for some assistance.

Our new house has network ports in each room, and in the utility room, I have this

(I think the pic has attached??:confused:)

Just wondering what I'll need to get this setup completed.

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'd put a switch there to join all the ports into a single network. Then you can connect your router to the switch either directly or via one of those ports and bobs your uncle.

Buuuuut, I'm not sure how they've wired it. Blue/Bluewhite appear to be shorted out so I'm guessing they've wired them for phones. So you'd have to drop pins and be 10x slower than you'd normally be. 0/10 marks for the sparky that did that, lazy lazy work.

Before you start I'd go back around and undo that half arsed job they did and use cordless phones but have proper ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

What a horrible job.

I'd suggest getting a patch panel and attaching it to the wall and terminating the cables to it.

As Ed e said go around and terminating all pairs to get proper Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

Thanks for the replies. Disappointed they didn't finish this job right. The rest of the house is perfect.

I don't understand why they've left it to me to put in the remaining parts i.e. the switch.

I'm not sure what you mean by undoing the work and terminating all pairs?

Putting the switch in would kinda be like putting a TV in the living room, thats something you pick to meet your needs and budget yourself. A patch panel you could argue they should have.

My assumption:
    8 wires go out from utility to each faceplate
    2 wires go into a port for phone (RJ11 2 active pins)
    6 wires go into a port for networking (RJ45 8 active pins)

What we're advocating is disconnecting those phone ports and wiring the full 8 onto the network ports so you have a proper 1Gb network. There's a standard T658A/B. Looks a little complicated, really isnt. If you know a nerd they'll do it in 5 mins per wall plate.

t568a-and-t568b-wiring-schemes-par-9129-image-0-0-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Can you attach a sample pic of a network port from one of the rooms?

• Advertisement

here ya go

ED E wrote: »
    Putting the switch in would kinda be like putting a TV in the living room, thats something you pick to meet your needs and budget yourself. A patch panel you could argue they should have.

My assumption:

What we're advocating is disconnecting those phone ports and wiring the full 8 onto the network ports so you have a proper 1Gb network. There's a standard T658A/B. Looks a little complicated, really isnt. If you know a nerd they'll do it in 5 mins per wall plate.

I'm off to find a nerd.....where do they hangout these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I'll echo what the others have said.... It has all the tell tale signs of an electrican not understanding low voltage network cabling.

Get an IT guy in to do it for you. Patch panel, switch and patch cables will come in under €70.

There is max 2-3 hours work punching down and testing.

Do not do it yourself if you don't have experience, you could be chasing network issues for years because of a bad crimp or crossed wires.

Petroglyph wrote: »
    here ya go

Hmmmm... just looks like a standard single UTP wallplate, any sign of a telephone socket nearby?

degsie wrote: »
    Hmmmm... just looks like a standard single UTP wallplate, any sign of a telephone socket nearby?

No - no other sockets.

Will I need to change anything in each of the room wallplates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Take them off the wall one-by-one and see how they are wired

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can get a nice little cabinets to put all the stuff in

kinda like this :

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_216&products_id=8558

aMMSqSi.jpg

No - no other sockets.

Take one wallplate off and snap a pic so we can see how it's wired.

hErjMtz.jpg

here's what i have in each room.

and then, in one room there was an extra wallplate with this

XFKVOEF.jpg

Ah cool, looks like all 8 wires have been used. Don't know why the blue/blue-white pairs were separated out at the junction point though :confused:. So as suggested before you can wire for GiB ethernet and use a GiB switch at the termination end. Hopefully the electrician followed the colour coding at the wallplate ends.

That other single wire is most likely the copper pair for telephone.

Take back my tirade!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ED E wrote: »

My assumption:

That diagram shows pinouts A to B which I think is crossover?

Would B to B straight through not be alright for cabling a house?

I know the green and orange are swapped in the A to B so What exactly is the difference between straight through & crossover & why would you use one over the other?

B to B

062a156d1c.gif

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

That diagram shows pinouts A to B which I think is crossover?

Would B to B straight through not be alright for cabling a house?

I know the green and orange are swapped in the A to B so What exactly is the difference between straight through & crossover & why would you use one over the other?

B to B

I think the poster was just pointing out the standard, not suggesting a A-B wiring scheme.
    In this instance the OP would need to check how the wallplates are wired (ie A or B) and then wire the other end the same (so A-A or B-B). Crossovers are not necessary in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

degsie wrote: »
    I think the poster was just pointing out the standard, not suggesting a A-B wiring scheme.
    In this instance the OP would need to check how the wallplates are wired (ie A or B) and then wire the other end the same (so A-A or B-B). Crossovers are not necessary in this instance.

Ah Right, so what would be an instance where it would be required to use crossover? What is crossover for?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Ah Right, so what would be an instance where it would be required to use crossover? What is crossover for?

In the old days, for connecting like devices. So pc to pc or switch to switch. Must modern devices have auto sensing now so a straight through cable will work.

• Advertisement

I wired everything straight through nowadays. The odd time you'll find a picky old NIC that doesnt have MDIX then you grab a crossed patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Why would anyone separate out the blue pairs like that?

Its Pics like this that made me tell the electrician to just run the cables and I'd terminate them myself.

OP like the others said get someone to have a look for you. should only take an hour or 2 to terminate and test 6 connections.

If there is not much slack on the cables you could use something like a wall mounted patch panel then use patch leads to connect to the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

I have a similar issue, I have these wires going to each room. Only green wires are connected (phone line) - remaining wires are not. I obviously need a rj45 connector. My issue is where do all the lines meet? Any idea where I would start to look?

Pious14 wrote: »
    I have a similar issue, I have these wires going to each room. Only green wires are connected (phone line) - remaining wires are not. I obviously need a rj45 connector. My issue is where do all the lines meet? Any idea where I would start to look?

Probably keep your issue in your thread or all of us will get confused as to which setup is which.

Advertisement