Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time for an upgrade

Options
  • 12-07-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭

Right think its time to upgrade my rig i'm thinking of upgrading my MB, cpu and ram first and then look at the gpu when the dust settles on the new cards.

my current build is:
    Amd fx 6300
    msi 970a-g43
    8gb ddr3
    asus r9 290x
    nxzt h440 case.
    128gb kingston hyperx ssd
    3tb seagate barracuda

i'm thinking of making the switch to intel for the cpu so am looking at the i7 6700k or maybe an i5 6600k and maybe an ASUS Z170 board.

on the gpu side I'm tempted by a 1080

1. What is your budget? €500 -€600 for motherboard cpu and ram
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Gaming battlefield 1etc.
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]no
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) yes case h440, psu: coshair cx750m,ssd and hdd
    5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] no
    5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]
    1080p ips might upgrade at some stage to 1440p
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] nope
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] yesish can do it but not really bothered
    8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    paypal,card etc
    9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]
    next couple of weeks
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] nope

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Your current system is not too shabby especially at 1080p.

If your aiming for 1440p then maybe a 1070 gtx might be a better fit.
    Over clocking the cpu will get you a few more fps bur you might be better off not doing it and putting the money saved towards a 120hz 1440p monitor. Depending on which games you play ofc. Some get more from higher refresh screens than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Your current system is not too shabby especially at 1080p.

If your aiming for 1440p then maybe a 1070 gtx might be a better fit.
    Over clocking the cpu will get you a few more fps bur you might be better off not doing it and putting the money saved towards a 120hz 1440p monitor. Depending on which games you play ofc. Some get more from higher refresh screens than others.

while my current one is ok i can feel it struggling with some games on ultra

i'm not really planning on getting a new gpu until the dust settles on the new models. so i'm thinking of buying the motherboard and cpu now and getting the gpu in a month or two.

anyone know if theres any issues switching between amd and nvidea cards on the same build on windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Core i5 6600K: €230
    8GB 2400MHz DDR4: €35
    ASUS Z170-A Pro: €140
    Total: €415 (from mindfactory)

Your GPU is still great, so that won't need to be upgraded until you get your monitor. I would hold out on getting Pascal until Vega launches, and that way you can make a fair comparison and get lower prices due to stock!

Get a cooler of your choice, one that fits your case etc

whats the deal with mindfactory and shipping?
    am i right in saying that's its 39.99?

i see theres something about free shipping if you buy and midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dunworth1 wrote: »
    whats the deal with mindfactory and shipping?
    am i right in saying that's its 39.99?

i see theres something about free shipping if you buy and midnight?

IIRC the free shipping is just for Germany.

• Advertisement

have pulled the trigger on the
    i7 6700k
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3
    8gbCorsair Vengeance DDR4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

have pulled the trigger on the
    i7 6700k
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3
    8gbCorsair Vengeance DDR4

Did the something myself last week, different board though, more or less the same really. Building it tomorrow I think.

With a GTX 1070 you will fly through 1440p.

Nedved85 wrote:
    Did the something myself last week, different board though, more or less the same really. Building it tomorrow I think.

Got the kit this morning installed and all good so far.

One button oc to 4.40ghz and ram running at 3000mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Got the kit this morning installed and all good so far.

One button oc to 4.40ghz and ram running at 3000mhz

Got a link to the guides you used to overclock? Never done it before,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sounds like the motherboard has an auto overclock mode on it. Have to be pretty careful with them as they can sometimes be very generous with voltage.

• Advertisement

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Got a link to the guides you used to overclock? Never done it before,

as eoin said i used gigabytes easy tune which auto overclocked the cpu and stress tested it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

as eoin said i used gigabytes easy tune which auto overclocked the cpu and stress tested it

I did that too and the voltage used doesnt seem excessive compared to the info I could see from other folks OC's.

Best to double check it though.

Advertisement