Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 11 Carcassonne › Montpellier

Options
  • 12-07-2016 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭

The route

After a breakaway victory for Michael Matthews yesterday, the peloton takes on the easiest stage they've had in quite some time. The 162km stage has only 2 categorized climbs, both of which are lowly cat 4s which come early in the stage. As such the sprinters teams will be keen for a result tomorrow, especially those who have not gotten a win to this point. The final kilometer contains a 2% drag, but it is unlikely to cause many issues for the big men. What might cause a problem is the wind, with guts of 20-30km per hours forcasted across the route. Hopefully we get some echelons :D

Stage-1464952427.jpg

Contenders

Mark Cavendish will be the bookies favorite, and for good reason. He has dominated the sprints so far, with three wins to his name. He'll be looking for a good result to close his defict to Sagan in the points competition. The German duo of Griepel and Kittel will likely be his closest challengers. The former traditionally gets stronger as races move towards their conclusion, and the latter has a team capable of taking advantage of any crosswind opportunities that present themselves. Other names that could feature are Sam Dumoulin, Degenkolb, Coquard, and Kristoff. Hopefully Bennett is feeling fit enough to contend, but with his broken finger I think I'm being a bit optimistic here.

Prediction

Kittel to get the better of Cavendish, with Sagan in third.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Greipel to join the party today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Greipel to join the party today.

do you think ? I think his head is gone. King Cav back doing his thing and Greipel seems to have had position and team train but still loses the head around the 400 metre mark.

Genuinely think Cav is 3/4 bike lengths better than him and maybe has the better lead out than Etixx this year to put him in the position to beat Kittel - seems to be the only difference (bike length or so)

Kristoff should be closer today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Cav is missing Renshaw in the lead out, so it will be interesting to see if it makes much difference.
    Gorilla for the win....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I do a good bit of cycling around Villespassans and Saint Chinian when i'm on holiday in Cebazan, I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

savage crosswinds today according to Robbie McEwen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Like Rob houses pants and belt. I didn't think i'd be typing that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

My money is on Kittel then tomorrow he'll drop out cause there's a time trial and mountains. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A few crashes already. Everyone okay I think. Pinot was the highest profile rider involved.

It's going to be a nervous day in the peloton.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Rumours that Mont Ventoux stage tomorrow will be shortened due to the high winds. From BBC:

13:58
    There are rumours that tomorrow's Bastille Day trek up Mont Ventoux may be truncated. Wind speeds of 100km/h are being forecast and that is not good for bike racing.

I went up the Beast of Provence, in a car, while on holiday a couple of years ago. It was windy then, on a non-windy day!

A decision will be made in due course but the plan B is to stop the race at Chalet Reynard which is around 500m lower in altitude and 6km from the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Pity Contador wasn't there genuinely in the running. I guess he with Tinkoff would be much more likely to spark things off in terms of echelons than the likes of Movistar. Such a stage the year of Froome's first TdF win was one of the best stages of cycling I've seen. Contador rallying & spurring on the likes of Cavendish & Sagan to work holding off the peloton was a very impressive sight - a real general in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Roumours that Mont Ventoux stage tomorrow will be shortened due to the high winds. From BBC:

There are rumours that tomorrow's Bastille Day trek up Mont Ventoux may be truncated. Wind speeds of 100km/h are being forecast and that is not good for bike racing.

I went up the Beast of Provence, in a car, while on holiday a couple of years ago. It was windy then, on a non-windy day!

A decision will be made in due course but the plan B is to stop the race at Chalet Reynard which is around 500m lower in altitude and 6km from the summit.

Who's hands does that play into? You'd have to think it disadvantages Froome and Quintana? and is likely good news to the rest of the GC hopefuls who might have expected to be gapped on the final stretched up tp the top past the Chalet?

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Rumours that Mont Ventoux stage tomorrow will be shortened due to the high winds. From BBC:

100km/h!? Hope one of the key stages aren't messed up.

Cavendish before the stage saying he thinks not enough changes in direction for the peloton to get split up during the stage though people could get dropped out the back. Though things look pretty splintered into a few groups as I look . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Echelons !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

It is a beautiful sight
    Clipboard_zpsxvs1rk7b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I understand they're caused by trying to hide from crosswinds but why are the guys at the head of the echelons not cycling on the right to get everyone in the gutter?
    Road going left up ahead?

mathie wrote: »
    I understand they're caused by trying to hide from crosswinds but why are the guys at the head of the echelons not cycling on the right to get everyone in the gutter?

But it's a symbiotic relationship. It's not the war of each against all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

mathie wrote: »

Where does he go once he's done his turn then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Good explanation from Le Mond on the sprinters teams tactics and technique on the getting their man home first.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

sean kelly asked about conor dunne when he was in an post.. didnt know his name. then mis-named him conor henry.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope Mont Ventoux is not affected by winds tomorrow, I think it is a mountain we all look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

RobertKK wrote: »
    I hope Mont Ventoux is not affected by winds tomorrow, I think it is a mountain we all look forward to.

Does Ventoux not mean windy? Let's hope it's just right for interesting racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

check_six wrote: »
    Does Ventoux not mean windy? Let's hope it's just right for interesting racing!

Yes, was reading up on it before tomorrow, an average of 240 exceptionally windy days, and winds over 200mph have been recorded at the summit.
    Looks like the mistral could spoil things.

The wind today is shaking things up, not the way I like...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

chrirs froome to lead thomas out in the finish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

This is interesting now. 4 good TT riders could hold this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

OOh now we're talking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Jesus, Froome could take a minute here.

Sagan.. what a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Why are the GC teams not chasing???

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Why are the GC teams not chasing???

Think they were all set up for the sprint. A delay in realising what was happening and it was too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Has a decision been made on Ventoux tomorrow yet? Are Sky taking a gamble that tomorrow's stage won't go to the summit?

Advertisement