Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 11 Carcassonne › Montpellier

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Proper bike racing on display this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just finished watching the highlights on TG4.
    Great move by Sagan & Bodnar and chapeau to Froome for going with them. Really impressive stuff. Movistar really dropped the ball, they were way behind when Froome followed Tinkoff's attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Phew! My heart climbed towards the end there. Tinkoff clearly had a idea to attack much like they did in 2013 as you could see them grouping at the front. Froome hesitated in 2013 and got caught in no mans land when that group went... but not today.

If he wins the race by the 40 seconds he's gained by the two attacks, then he very much deserves it.

And Sagan is the best rider in the world.

He is World Champion for a reason- that was hands down the best piece of bike racing this year.
    Who needs mountains to make it interesting? Top marks to all 4 in the front group. Every single racer from the lowest league to top pro could learn from today.
    And feck it, I really hope Froome wins overall. Marginal gains me hole! That was pure bike racing at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Crikey , Froome really is playing high stakes, for such a surgical rider to ride in such an unorthodox way, he must be really messing with Quintana's head. Great to see the crazy tactics Sky is putting out there. They can play the robot and the Rouge.
    Sagan is fast becoming one of the greats and to see him and Froome fighting for the finish, in green and yellow, from a 4 man break away, on a flat stage... I reckon there would have been some odds on that... Really looking forward to tomorrow, Quintana surly has to respond on Ventoux, he is just bleeding time in places he must never have thought possible. All Froome has to do is follow him for a change, no tactics, 'just' draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

fat bloke wrote: »
    I've never seen Quintana do anything other than ride on a wheel.

+1. I'm tired of waiting for the Quintana attack that never comes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It really appears that Sky have learned from past mistakes. They've looked weak on descents and cross winds in previous years, this year it's where they've made time. Credit where it's due, they've lit up the Tour so far.

I've almost warmed to Froome this year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Rafal Majka's crash yesterday.... ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Watching the Orica Backstage video this evening, you can hear Sagan ask Bodnar to accompany him onto the podium

I seen another interview and Sagan says the stage was for Bodnar and was not expecting Froome to sprint for the stage. Even more impressive that he just put the power down and won easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

outfox wrote: »
    +1. I'm tired of waiting for the Quintana attack that never comes.

I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. If you look at the time gaps in GC, they are so tiny as to be almost meaningless. I actually don't think there's been a realistic opportunity for Quintana to attack. Froome has ridden very impressively, no doubt, and it's great to watch. But, I can't decide if this is a sign of a really strong rider trying to mess with his rival's head, or a ride who is not sure how strong his opponent is and is really worried about what is to come. The last 4 stages of the Tour before Paris are absolutely brutal and will rip the race to pieces. In that context, any time gained so far by Froome will be pretty irrelevant, though I would expect his lead to be bigger after tomorrow's TT. If he is not at least two minutes ahead of Quintana after that then I think it would be time for Froome to start worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The last time, there was a Green Jersey/Yellow Jersey 1-2 in the Tour, was in 1974.
    1st Patrick Sercu.
    2nd Eddy Merckx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Balls, sounds like I'm missing a great 'boring' part of the tour this year. The local Eurosport seems to show the highlights at random times and I haven't caught it in days.

Re the tweet about how dangerous the stage was, what was the issue, the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Balls, sounds like I'm missing a great 'boring' part of the tour this year. The local Eurosport seems to show the highlights at random times and I haven't caught it in days.

Re the tweet about how dangerous the stage was, what was the issue, the wind?

No I think some of the riders had issue with the amount of street furniture and narrow twisting roads that they had to negotiate. Apparently they were brought through a lot of small villages with tight bends and a lot of raised traffic islands.

Advertisement