Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card hacked again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

There is so much ways they could hack you with all the stuff you mentioned. Why do you do so much online when you aren't fully sure of the consequences. You'll be very lucky if Boi refund the charges, they are pretty much your own fault from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

RossieMan wrote: »
    There is so much ways they could hack you with all the stuff you mentioned. Why do you do so much online when you aren't fully sure of the consequences. You'll be very lucky if Boi refund the charges, they are pretty much your own fault from what I can see.
    Wow very hard line from you. If only we were all so perfect. There are millions like me who do stuff online. The only thing I will hold me hand up and say I made a mistake with was getting involved with file hosters. BOI are refunding me, they say. It will be a fresh start from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ally Dick wrote: »
    That's a horrific thought. What do I do about that ? Factory restores? System reinstalls ?

I would go further. I'd do a secure erase. Which would erase your factory recovery partition. I'd get recovery media from the manufacturer, or secure source.

I think you should consider completely changing your online habits and especially how you buy stuff on the web. Switch to more secure method of payments. Stop clicking on any links and attachments. Things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alien Haze

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Can you not pay for a lot of these services using PayPal?

The two I use don't take Paypal. Once I get the new card, I shan't be using them again
    Do they accept Bitcoin as a payment option.
    I have paid with Bitcoin for various file hosting sites over the years.
    And a few that did not have a Bitcoin payment option i just emailed them and asked
    and they agreed and sent me instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I work in the detection industry.

3 times in a row most likely means something on your PC.

You need perhaps to review the websites you frequent.  Buy from reputable sites. Try and stay away from ads in Facebook and similar sites for things like "cheap raybans 70% off!!!"and that kind of crap (they are usually knockoff Chinese crap)

You could open another account and use the card attached to that, only transferring in the amount required when making a purchase. It doesn't stop fraud happening but prevents financial inconvenience whilst you wait for your bank to refund you.

Use PayPal when possible. If PayPal isn't an option and the website isn't well known I usually walk away from the purchase.

As for your PC... I'd probably go to the hassle of reinstalling the OS if I'd 3 cards compromised in a short period of time.  Otherwise try the above and see if things improve.

I wouldn't be a fan of PayPal myself. I only use it for small amounts that I won't miss if I get scammed.

beauf wrote: »
    I think you should consider completely changing your online habits and especially how you buy stuff on the web. Switch to more secure method of payments. Stop clicking on any links and attachments. Things like that.
    I only purchase from Amazon and Ebay online. File hosting is the only other thing I buy, and I now know that's a big no no, so will steer clear in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ally Dick wrote:
    I'm getting sick of this. I have had three credit cards in a row, over the last short while, which have been compromised on me. I'm getting tired of the process of replacing the card every time, and notifying all of the websites that I use, that there will be a new number which will be different. I will ring Credit Card services in the morning to do the needful. This time it was Uber taxi transactions, which are appearing on my statement. I've never used Uber in my life. I googled it and it's a very common scam. Websites or apps which allow payments should be OBLIGED by law to carry the credit card number, the expiry date AND the three digit verification code on all of their payments. I believe the reason credit cards are getting compromised so frequently is because some sites such as Uber only look for the credit card and the expiry date, and certain devious sorts are guessing them correctly, and if you're caught out, it's just your bad luck. This is more of a rant than a question, but I'd welcome any opinions on this. I'd nearly forget about the credit card and go visa debit for everything, if it happens again....

I dont have a BOI card but my bank will always text a verification code to my phone for any online purchase No code, no purchase authorization.

But I think it should go further. After all, if you can so easily get a Facebook notification about being tagged in a photo, why cant your mobile banking app show you notifications for your transactions as they happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Jimmy , what Bank do you bank with? I would be very interested in that service.

One final question - are self service filling stations safe ? I use one all the time, and always pay by credit card. It's a Great Gas in Ashbourne.
    I have been using it for the past year.....and that's when my troubles started. Mind you, purchases were being made in the UK on the card the first time.
    The second time wasn't clear. The most recent time was Uber transactions I never made

It's not uber, that's to get by fraud departments security.

When you ring the fraud department they should be able to let you know if it was uber or not.

I reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop, and I'm changing all my online payment options to Visa Debit from Mastercard....and no more file hosting or messing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop, and I'm changing all my online payment options to Visa Debit from Mastercard....and no more file hosting or messing
    Not sure that's a good idea.  If your debit card is compromised,you won't be able to get your money back. At least with the Credit Card you will get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Not sure that's a good idea. If your debit card is compromised,you won't be able to get your money back. At least with the Credit Card you will get it back.
    Was just having a conversation about this about a guy who bought his holidays on lowcostholidays with a debit card. Apparently debit cards have been included in chargebacks now.

I googled and got this
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/chargeback

Even found this link which is relevant to BOI
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056717961

They usen't to be included alright. Probably better to ask your bank anyway in case you've any doubt.

With the op history I wouldn't rely on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

beauf wrote: »
    With the op history I wouldn't rely on that.
    Fair enough but it'll be the same result with a credit or debit card. Rather than the old result of debit cards not having chargeback at all.

With the OPs history any bank would lose patience. It's too coincidentally to not be his own fault.

The OP has hopefully sorted his issue now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

RossieMan wrote: »
    With the OPs history any bank would lose patience. It's too coincidentally to not be his own fault.

The OP has hopefully sorted his issue now anyway.

Hopefully it's a bank with professional staff who will communicate properly and not make judgments against a customer based on coincidence and snap decisions

• Advertisement

Does one like that exist in Ireland?

Advertisement