Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit-Turned off working in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 12-07-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I commenced a new job in Derry last year and commute from Donegal. Since the shock of the Brexit referendum result I feel like I no longer want to work in Ni and now want to try and find employment in Roi. I am anxious about the varying and low sterling rate, have already experienced a 13 percent drop. In addition to fears if long range barriers of some form. Would others faced with the same predicament make a quick exit to work in Roi, or is this rash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Nollog

You've still got 2 years to see if it settles down. I'd have a look in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I work in Derry and live in Donegal, and there is a huge number that do the same, due to the nature of our locality and connection between the 2 counties.

The drop off in the value of sterling is a pain, but you have to accept currency fluctuations when you earn in a different currency to what you may spend in. Par for the course, and can swing both ways. I realise that the way its going is like taking a daily pay cut, but its initial shock and should settle down (I think £1=€1.16 a few dyas ago and last night £1=€1.19). About 18 months ago I changed sterlng using currency fair and got €1.42, but you can't accept its always going to be at these values. Maybe 20% is where it should naturally sit?

As for leaving your job, well if you could find one in RoI that you'd be happy with, then it would give you some certainty in terms of the value of your money. Personally I won't be jumping ship. Concerns for me are tax implications in the future when Brexit happens. But thats for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Same boat as NIMAN here, live in Donegal and commute. To make it worse I work 2 jobs in the north, as does my wife so that's a big chunk of change that's been hit.

And we work in the NHS and God knows what will happen to that too! It certainly won't be getting the cash that Farage and co promised it post Brexit...

Advertisement