Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving home, no bank account, no proof of address?

• 12-07-2016 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hey everyone, something that's just occurred to me, I'm looking to move back in a few months, and i'll be staying with family for the first few weeks so that we can find jobs/hopefully fund a house to put down a deposit on, but I realized that literally every bank in Ireland requires you to show proof of address to open an account, is there any way to bypass this when staying with family, can they sign some sort of letter to say you're staying at a certain address?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

The rules have gotten really strict so it's really difficult. One thing you can do is get an employers letter but whether they accept that or not is another matter.

Are you staying with your parents in the house you grew up in? If so it should be easy enough to get some sort of letter from the revenue. Or do you have a drivers licence? With that address?

My husband has been in Ireland over 3 months and he still doesn't have a bank account because of how difficult it is to get the elusive 'proof of address'.

When you complain they'll just say 'central bank', 'central bank', 'central bank'. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Natonstan wrote: »
    Hey everyone, something that's just occurred to me, I'm looking to move back in a few months, and i'll be staying with family for the first few weeks so that we can find jobs/hopefully fund a house to put down a deposit on, but I realized that literally every bank in Ireland requires you to show proof of address to open an account, is there any way to bypass this when staying with family, can they sign some sort of letter to say you're staying at a certain address?

It's tricky. We kept an account open when we left, so that we wouldn't have to fuss with this.

I moved away in 2007 and back in 2008, having closed my account in the meantime. I ended up getting my first paycheck paid into my friend's account, and went to the bank I used to bank with (AIB) and got someone to do it based on that (my payslip had my address on). I think they fudged the rules though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I moved back home a few years back and just put my address as my parents address and had no problems at all opening an account that way.

My cousin did it in a similar way, used his parents address to open a credit union account and in turn opened a bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

It seems like unnecessary hassle, I guess that means moving home with all of your savings in your foreign account, in my case American account means I will basically have to leave them in my American account until I move over, I DO have a UK bank account from when I attended college in England but I do not have an Irish one, I can see this is going to be pain

I just had a conversation with a cousin that works in Ulster Bank, she said I could actually use any letters I have from my old UK account (Which have been going to my grandparents address for the past few years) and show them those and simply say I'm changing addresses to a permanent Irish address in the coming weeks, they should be satisfied as at least my name is tied to an address. Not sure how well this would go down in practice but it at least gives me hope

• Advertisement

Natonstan wrote: »
    I just had a conversation with a cousin that works in Ulster Bank, she said I could actually use any letters I have from my old UK account (Which have been going to my grandparents address for the past few years) and show them those and simply say I'm changing addresses to a permanent Irish address in the coming weeks, they should be satisfied as at least my name is tied to an address. Not sure how well this would go down in practice but it at least gives me hope

Apparently you can do this with a US utility bill as well. Open with your US address and then change it.

dave98 wrote: »
    I moved back home a few years back and just put my address as my parents address and had no problems at all opening an account that way.

My cousin did it in a similar way, used his parents address to open a credit union account and in turn opened a bank account

I think it depends on how long 'a few years back' is because the rules have gotten pretty strict. Even the credit union need all sorts of proof of address now.

I just got in touch with Permanent TSB, I asked if I could open an account before moving using my current US address or my old UK account that is now linked to my grandparents address, and they gave me the number to OPEN24, their 24 hour service and said that could be arranged, I'm going to give it a shot and I'll keep you updated on how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Daughter did it that way, used an old credit union account, which accepted parents address with a note to say she was living here (she was, on and off) then used c. u. account to get an account at the local bank, then transferred it to where she was living. I have an idea that they all knew what was happening, and so long as she followed the letter rather than the spirit she was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I had a similar challenge when I moved back, most banks want a copy of a docuemtn such as a utilty bill which was issued to you within the last 6 months as proof of address. Worked out of my foreign bank account for a few weeks until I had a utility bill to show them, they were pretty strict on sticking to the rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement