Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Hotel November

Options
  • 13-07-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Looking for some help please from previous visitors to the big apple.
    Heading over on our first visit , my and my teenage soon.

Hotel needed for Tuesday 1st November for 5 nights until Sunday 6th November
    Budget around the 1000 euro mark.

I have been looking around its expensive alright.
    Anyone any good recommendations for me please ?

Would really appreciate your help.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you looked at the YMCAs?
    They're not fancy, but they're safe and clean. They have rooms for two available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Or Air B'n'b? We got an apartment in Hells Kitchen (5 minute walk from Times Square) for a little less than €200 a night for our last visit. We found that it was nice to have the extra space and freedom an apartment affords when you're staying for more than 2 or 3 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Yeah, try airbnb for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't think Air B n B is legal in Manhattan anymore.

Anyway last November we stayed in the Seton Hotel on E 40th Street. The location was excellent, with diners on every corner and a nice neighbourhood feel to the area. Close to 42nd Street, Grand Central and all that jazz. We walked everywhere, with the exception of a subway trip to Wall Street, and the Staten Island Ferry terminal. That was just too far to walk!

The room was small, but grand. Free tea, coffee and juice available 24/7. Nice little outdoor terrace at the back where you can bring your coffee (weather permitting in November!). There is no problem ordering in food, or bringing your own drinks to the terrace either.

There may be cheaper options, but it's coming in at around €1,225 on Hotels.Com for those nights. Nothing is cheap hotel wise in NY!

I'm sure others will find different options for you. Remember you don't spend much time in a hotel in NY except to sleep!

If going to Seton make sure you get a Premium room. There are others on the first floor with shared bathrooms. They are a lot cheaper if you can tolerate that. We saw lots of people floating around in bathrobes (supplied) who were using the first floor rooms.

Have a look at TripAdvisor.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 lolls2001

We are going to NY too in November , i have been a few times and refuse to pay alot of money for hotels there! As we are NEVER in the room or NEVER avail of any facilities !
    We have booked the Newly renovated rooms in the Pennsylvania hotel, really really really basic hotel by MAdison Sq Garden and Penn Station, its coming in approx €1060 for a double room on room only basis for your dates
    VERY central but even more basic ! But it is the perfect location for us !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

lolls2001 wrote: »
    We are going to NY too in November , i have been a few times and refuse to pay alot of money for hotels there! As we are NEVER in the room or NEVER avail of any facilities !
    We have booked the Newly renovated rooms in the Pennsylvania hotel, really really really basic hotel by MAdison Sq Garden and Penn Station, its coming in approx €1060 for a double room on room only basis for your dates
    VERY central but even more basic ! But it is the perfect location for us !

Thanks to everyone for their replies, taking all the info on board and still checking around for deals.

Any other tips for me in the hunt for a hotel/ getting about/ways to save on my first trip ?
    I have a good few quid budgeted for the 5 days over there, just want to get the best bang for my buck so to speak :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think your budget is very tight for central hotels and in my experience "cheaper" (still quite expensive really) Manhattan hotels are usually unbearable - and I say that as someone who happily stays in university accommodation in most cities, so certainly not used to luxury. If you're looking for twin beds rather than a double that will also limit your options somewhat unfortunately.

The only tip I have for that price would be the Gem Hotel in Chelsea. It's a great area and a nice hotel. A double should come in around that price but again, not sure on availability of a twin.

Hope you find something suitable and have a fantastic time - it's an amazing city.

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for their replies, taking all the info on board and still checking around for deals.

Any other tips for me in the hunt for a hotel/ getting about/ways to save on my first trip ?
    I have a good few quid budgeted for the 5 days over there, just want to get the best bang for my buck so to speak :)

You can get a bundle if you pre book. We booked this below

All Around Town Tour Hop-on Hop-Off Bus Tour with Harbour Cruise ticket offering unlimited 'hop-on' and 'hop-off' opportunities at over 50+ stops covering Downtown, Uptown, the Bronx and Brooklyn
    Great views of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan Skyline on the Hop-on/Hop-off Sightseeing Cruise
    Your choice of Empire State Building Observatory ticket or Top of the Rock ticket.
    Ferry Ticket for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
    Free New York Eat and Play Card which offers exclusive savings on – dining, attractions, entertainment, shopping and more!

This cost €97 each, but the hop on hop off bus is fantastic
    We used it all the the when we went before, great way to do sightseeing and shopping also
    Also make sure you prebook a show if you want one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I managed to get a superior room in the Waldorf Astoria last Oct/Nov for 4 nights for €1000.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The NYC marathon is on that week (Nov. 6th) so that will have an effect on (already high) prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Look at Brooklyn hotels - ones close to a subway station. That's what I have done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You could try the Express deals on Priceline, narrow it down to those with 8/10 ratings and in areas you'd be happy with. Just remember the prices they show per night on those will not include Tax, so a $120 cost will end up at $140 per night.

You do take a chance with those, but we've managed to get very good deals in Vancouver and Seattle, we haven't stayed there yet but prices were certainly better than we were getting on other sites.

www.priceline.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You could try the Express deals on Priceline, narrow it down to those with 8/10 ratings and in areas you'd be happy with. Just remember the prices they show per night on those will not include Tax, so a $120 cost will end up at $140 per night.

You do take a chance with those, but we've managed to get very good deals in Vancouver and Seattle, we haven't stayed there yet but prices were certainly better than we were getting on other sites.

www.priceline.com

I use priceline for stays in Europe & the States quite a bit & it consistently delivers great hotels at significant discount.

To pinpoint the likely properties available in NYC, links below will be useful.

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=254

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...y#.VHNopIusXgU

Also worth checking out Hiltons NYC hotels via their MVP site OP.

Disregard the stipulation that you need a sports affiliation to avail of the discount.

http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/

Are all the major multiple hotel sites for New York excluding the 14.75% and local tax?
    Thank you

Are all the major multiple hotel sites for New York excluding the 14.75% and local tax?
    Thank you

Alot can be, you need to procced to the end and it will say plus tax or tax included

Took the plunge this morning, had to splash out an extra 150 euro to the budget, but what the heck, its our first trip

Got a twin room in Wyndham New Yorker Hotel New York, Manhattan for 5 nights for €1016 euro .
    The tax to be paid upon arrival.

All done and dusted now, time to get saving and also get more tips from fellow boardsies about the Big Apple.

Again, Thank you to everyone for their input and advice, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Hi Folks

Looking for some help please from previous visitors to the big apple.
    Heading over on our first visit , my and my teenage soon.

Hotel needed for Tuesday 1st November for 5 nights until Sunday 6th November
    Budget around the 1000 euro mark.

I have been looking around its expensive alright.
    Anyone any good recommendations for me please ?

Would really appreciate your help.
    Thank you.

can recommend the New York Inn in Hells Kitchen.. had a look there, its €650ish B&B..

My happiness of yesterday and getting the hotel booked soon disappeared this morning when I see lowcostholidays.ie gone out of business overnight .Yes you guessed it, that's who I booked my hotel with.
    I tried cancelling the transaction with the bank but they can't stop it, I have to begin a charge back via my visa debit.
    Back to square one again and also the worry if I will get my cash back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sorry to hear that OP. I'm sure you will be refunded though it's a pain to have the hassle. Make sure you use your credit card when booking. I recommend having travel insurance in place at the time of booking also.

A friend who has travelled with a teen before recommends Pod 39 if you're ok with bunk beds and a tiny room. It's well located, clean and well reviewed. I see it on booking.com for under €1000 but not including tax.

A bit further south in SoHo they also recommend the Howard Johnson Manhattan hotel where you can get a triple for around the same price.

I hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.ymcanyc.org/association/guest-rooms/westsiderooms Beside Central Park, $910 with private bathroom.

My happiness of yesterday and getting the hotel booked soon disappeared this morning when I see lowcostholidays.ie gone out of business overnight .Yes you guessed it, that's who I booked my hotel with.
    I tried cancelling the transaction with the bank but they can't stop it, I have to begin a charge back via my visa debit.
    Back to square one again and also the worry if I will get my cash back!

Did you pay in full ?

Did you pay in full ?

Yes, paid the whole amount in full, the funds came out of my account this morning. I have to try a chargeback with the bank.Gutted. (like many others)

Yes, paid the whole amount in full, the funds came out of my account this morning. I have to try a chargeback with the bank.Gutted. (like many others)

i cant believe it, its just terrible, Sometimes the rooms are instant purchase or non refundable rates, so that means that they have to be paid at the time of booking and you never know, the hotel might also have been paid in full
    Did you call the hotel and see if they had payment , they well may have it

i cant believe it, its just terrible, Sometimes the rooms are instant purchase or non refundable rates, so that means that they have to be paid at the time of booking and you never know, the hotel might also have been paid in full
    Did you call the hotel and see if they had payment , they well may have it

Yes, rang the hotel , the hotel has my booking alright, but no payment for it.
    I can have the reservation kept, but will have to pay for the hotel again.

Gutted is not the word, praying the bank can help me out.

Yes, rang the hotel , the hotel has my booking alright, but no payment for it.
    I can have the reservation kept, but will have to pay for the hotel again.

Gutted is not the word, praying the bank can help me out.

You are covered with Visa Debit, there is a form to fill out

You are covered with Visa Debit, there is a form to fill out

Lets hope so, I have sent all the documents via courier to my bank (permanent tsb ) this morning. Sit and wait and see what happens now, I have a funny feeling with TSB that they might not pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HomeToIreland

Airbnb is legal in NY but there is a law restricting overnight accommodations for non-hotels to 30 days minimum. Also, most condo apt. buildings do not permit airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 livers

try hotwire.com we ended up with the W hotel once and this time im going im staying in POD51 looks a great little place! also booked before with expedia flights and hotel and got a great deal on Manhattan times square.

• Advertisement
Advertisement