Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstatement of mandatory use?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

“Now, I know he finds it hard to make decisions,” Mr Troy said.

Decent bit of trolling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

<tangent>
    Jeebus, looking at another article I see
    td-asks-about-mandatory-high-vis-clothing-for-walking-and-cycling/
    ...I'll be running everywhere (when not ensconsed in motor vehicles) so :eek:
    </tangent>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chuchote wrote: »

Sometimes I wish he'd just happen to catch some incurable disease..

Jesus, a bit harsh.

I just hope there's a change of government in which people who want to make Dublin a liveable city are elected and appointed to the right ministries and supported in reviving the capital as a cycling-walking city for humans.

• Advertisement

I think agitation by this guy got the questions posed to Ross:
    http://jamesgallagher.ie/the-failure-of-shane-ross-to-address-cyclist-safety/

He has written since to Ross:
    Of course there remains a significant number of other issues but until your performance can be brought up to an acceptable level for a person holding office, they will have to wait. Given your comments and views expressed prior to taking office, a much higher standard of work was expected from you. I hope that your failure is temporary and you have a desire to do your job.

Some commentary on each thing Ross said here:
    http://jamesgallagher.ie/commentary-on-shane-ross-cycling-policy-parliamentary-questions-response-on-october-11th-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Pretty hard-hitting alright! Problem is while he's not helping at all with any aspect of cycling; funding, safety, legislation, infrastructure, the problem goes deeper as there doesn't seem to be the goodwill or positive attitude to cycling in the DTTAS to make a difference. So even is Shane Ross were gone tomorrow things might not improve. Irish Cycling also had a comment piece today or yesterday re how the Climate Advisory Group didn't mention cycling in its report last week about how we are not going to meet our 2020 or 2050 emissions targets. Blind spots all round then, (figurative and actual) and scope for a Donagh O' Malley type to stage a bold intervention and ensure his/her legacy? http://irishcycle.com/2016/11/06/cycling-not-on-radar-of-irish-climate-change-advisory-council/

There will be penalties -- quite sizeable apparently -- for not meeting Paris commitments, though we have been given an exemption on the 2020 targets, from what I read. I assume the current government don't care about climate change or future penalties, but there's trouble ahead, in several senses.

The number of people cycling in Dublin has doubled and is increasing faster and faster; the transport authorities are going to change their view; it's a matter of time - and pressure. What happened to the plan for further demonstrations for 10% of transport funding? That seems to have fizzled out - was it another Green puffball?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Fine Gael are absolutely not the party of infrastructure, and Shanes's a former fg fella

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

20 years ago, and might be a stretch to put his incompetence/inaction to an affiliation that long passed. He's just bad at his job it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The number of people cycling in Dublin has doubled and is increasing faster and faster; the transport authorities are going to change their view; it's a matter of time - and pressure. What happened to the plan for further demonstrations for 10% of transport funding? That seems to have fizzled out - was it another Green puffball?

This is my view on it as well. The government, the public and the authorities responsible are too wedded to the notion of the private car.

Neither the government or the authorities are going to voluntarily move away from this position so it is up to the public to show that it is time. Government & Authorities much prefer status quo that having to roll out change.

So it is up to the public. You can have as many demos as you want, and they are certainly part of the answer, but the real way to bring about change is to make it impossible to ignore. By more and people cycling the demands for infrastructure to support them will increase.

It's not even the cycling lanes. Places to park you park with some level of security (for example in every row of 10 car spaces one of them is handed over to bike racks, I see this in some small places in Dublin already).

Employees need to start demanding the employers start offering bike parking facilities and showers/changing facilities. When we are building new office blocks this should be part of the requirements. 100 car spaces, spaces for 1000 bikes and changing facilities.

It is already clear on a morning commute that the level of cyclists has increased and this is changing the balance. A few years ago a bike was a strange thing you might notice every so often. Now, drivers know that before making any manoeuvre the chances are there will be a bike close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Deedsie wrote: »
    I also think they should extend the bus lane restrictions from the current 07:00 to 19:00 to 06:00 to 21:00.

From 18:30 on cars are all over the bus lane and no one policing it.

And dump the 1600-1800 cycle lanes. If they can park there 22hrs there's no hope of them moving for a final 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does go car get any tax breaks? i.e. are the government making much effort to encourage car sharing schemes?

Dublin City Council gave GoCar free on-street parking for their shared cars. It's a pretty good perk. They do get other preferential treatment in a few ways, but I can't remember them right now.

. What happened to the plan for further demonstrations for 10% of transport funding? That seems to have fizzled out - was it another Green puffball?
    Little bit unfair Chuchote, the Greens did have a protest at the end of Sept but the big protest on Oct 3rd was not a Green event in the political sense though it obviously was in an environmental sense. And no,protests haven't fizzled out The organisers are wary of protest fatigue and have to pick their battles and be careful re how often they bring people out on the streets. Protest events have to be balanced with lobbying and other forms of getting the message out. Also, posts here, including your own are making the point that funding is only one aspect of what cyclists need, legislation would help too! Hope you're right re it only being a matter of time before sheer numbers mean that cyclists have to be taken seriously. The fact that it can be an unpleasant experience in current conditions has to be balanced against the convenience I suppose.

Ah, I thought the Greens organised both.

Seems to have gone quiet, though, whatever about other activism.

Hi Chuchote, and anybody else who is interested, this isn't a propos of mandatory use but it fits into your recent query re what the protest organisers are currently up to. If you happen to be free tomorrow evening this event may interest you, http://www.dublincycling.ie/events/join-velorution-come-our-world-caf%C3%A9-event. Info on dublin cycling Campaign FB page!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

ED E wrote: »
    And dump the 1600-1800 cycle lanes. If they can park there 22hrs there's no hope of them moving for a final 2.

Usually they're unrestricted cycle lanes but have a 16.00-18.00 clearway sign.

I.e. they're really 24/7 cycle lanes but this gets ignored/misunderstood and unpunished.

Hi Chuchote, and anybody else who is interested, this isn't a propos of mandatory use but it fits into your recent query re what the protest organisers are currently up to. If you happen to be free tomorrow evening this event may interest you, http://www.dublincycling.ie/events/join-velorution-come-our-world-caf%C3%A9-event. Info on dublin cycling Campaign FB page!

Thanks for the heads-up - I don't do Facebook. Sick at the mo, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think agitation by this guy got the questions posed to Ross:
    http://jamesgallagher.ie/the-failure-of-shane-ross-to-address-cyclist-safety/

He has written since to Ross:

Some commentary on each thing Ross said here:
    http://jamesgallagher.ie/commentary-on-shane-ross-cycling-policy-parliamentary-questions-response-on-october-11th-2016/

Just to comment on the commentary (so to speak). As far as I'm aware, parliamentary questions are sent around to the various departments for replies to be written by civil servants. So what you're seeing here isn't even Ross acknowledging or talking about issues, it's him parroting the lines that he is being fed by his own department. :mad:

No problem Chuchote, website active too so when you're better keep an eye on it! Good point though, campaign I'm involved in myself has no web presence, we rely on FB and should probably rustle up a website too if we can find a kind web savvy volunteer!

No problem Chuchote, website active too so when you're better keep an eye on it! Good point though, campaign I'm involved in myself has no web presence, we rely on FB and should probably rustle up a website too if we can find a kind web savvy volunteer!

Thanks - what's the web address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thanks - what's the web address?
    Thanks for the heads-up - I don't do Facebook. Sick at the mo, unfortunately.
    Just FYI, you can generally see campaign web pages on Facebook like this, even if you don't use Facebook yourself.

And while we're on the topic of websites, http://irishcycle.com/ has a fantastic series this week re myths re why we can't have cycle infrastructure like the Netherlands. Only day two so far but yesterday's was really interesting re what he calls the politics of space http://irishcycle.com/2016/11/14/1-of-6-excuses-why-ireland-cant-copy-cycling-in-the-netherlands/

1 OF 6 EXCUSES WHY IRELAND CAN’T COPY CYCLING IN THE NETHERLANDS

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

And while we're on the topic of websites, http://irishcycle.com/ has a fantastic series this week re myths re why we can't have cycle infrastructure like the Netherlands. Only day two so far but yesterday's was really interesting re what he calls the politics of space http://irishcycle.com/2016/11/14/1-of-6-excuses-why-ireland-cant-copy-cycling-in-the-netherlands/

1 OF 6 EXCUSES WHY IRELAND CAN’T COPY CYCLING IN THE NETHERLANDS

I can give all and a bit more.
    Answers at the bottom......

Our roads are to narrow
    It's to hilly here
    Shopkeepers rely on people driving
    Shops won't get deliveries
    We're not Dutch or Danish
    Cycling isn't safe
    People with physical disabilities can't cycle
    I'm too old to cycle
    Liability laws will make people drive safely
    Everyone needs to share the road
    We need more Cycle training, not cycling infrastructure
    The weather isn't right
    People should wear helmets when cycling
    Cycling infrastructure slows down cycling
    Cycling causes danger to people walking
    It's too expensive to provide for cycling
    People don't use cycling facilities that already exist
    Higher standards of driving would make cycling safer
    People break the rules when cycling
    Cycling caused congestion
    Cycling infrastructure is unsafe
    We need more electric cars
    We'll be stuck on terrible cycling paths
    People should cycle at the side of the road, not the middle
    People who cycle don't pay for the roads
    Bus lanes provide good conditions for cycling
    People should wear Hi-Viz for cycling
    Cycling makes you sweaty
    You need a lot of stuff to cycle
    People won't or can't cycle very far

Answers
    http://cyclingfallacies.com/en/

Ross appears to be confused as to what his portfolio is based on the issues he is currently raising as governmental businesses. Might explain a lot with regards to transport.

Oh, he talked about transport today too! I heard him on radio telling the Seanad he wasn't planning on closing any rail lines! Didn't hear though whether he popped in to the Stop Climate Chaos "meet your representative" day in Buswell's Hotel yesterday, though 89 of his colleagues apparently did. One of the 3 asks was re Sustainable Transport so definitely in his baliwick

• Advertisement

He would have been the very first opposition TD on the news talking about the waste of money to the tax payer had this story broke during a previous dail.

Advertisement