Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screws

• 13-07-2016 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

What type of screws do I need to use to attach something to the aluminium side of my camper? Some had used a steel one and it has gone rusty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

JonMac wrote: »
    What type of screws do I need to use to attach something to the aluminium side of my camper? Some had used a steel one and it has gone rusty.

Lidl/aldi have stainless steel sheet metal screws in now and then ,not currently.They are ideal for this job,try a large motor factor they might have them.And in future stock up on all the weird offers from laldi ,you never know when you will need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Be very careful screwing anything into aluminium, you set up a process called galvanic reaction, this means the least resistant metal will start to corrode.
    Aluminium has more corrosion resistance than thin galvanised steel screws and the zinc on the screw has disappeared and the steel is rusting.
    If you use SS screws then the aluminium body of the camper will corrode before the stainless screws leaving a bigger problem.
    You can help this by using plastic washers between dissimilar metals and using sealant to stop water ingress.

Advertisement