Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT internship

Options
  • 13-07-2016 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Looking for some help please!

A bit of background, I left college in 1989 and started work in the electronics industry. In the summer of 2015, due to factory closure I was made redundant. Last September I started a springboard course at Blanchardstown IT in CCNA and system administration in order to re-skill.
    I have completed the academic part of the course but to gain the complete course credits I need 6 weeks internship in an IT related work placement.
    All of the placements organized by the college are in the Dublin area and as I live in Castlebellingham I would prefer to find one locally (Drogheda/Dundalk/any where in Louth)

So if anyone could help me locate a local company who could offer me a 6 week internship in an IT related area I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

In Drogheda you could ask Image, CTI or Callan Computers. Check the websites for phone numbers.

In Dundalk, CTI, Nortech or PC repair centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 THEBLACKDEVIL

Thanks IvoryTower.

Thanks IvoryTower.

No problem. Keep in mind they're just IT companies. All the big companies like paypal etc would have IT departments so worth keeping in mind. Even middle size companies that have just one or 2 might take someone on for a few weeks to free them up for other work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Given the value of confidential Data it is extremely difficult to get an internship or unpaid work experience with any companies that may deal with bank details or personal data.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Given the value of confidential Data it is extremely difficult to get an internship or unpaid work experience with any companies that may deal with bank details or personal data.

Thanks for the input, I was expecting to start at the very bottom, didn't think I'd have exposure to confidential information at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Oh I understand that, Your typical IT call out companies such as callans etc will be dealing with highly confidential issues so 1. they may not want to slow down to explain and 2. they need to be ultimately professional so someone on work experience can hamper that. Most retail stores will have an IT dept, have you tried them. There way of business might be a little specific but at least youll get the get the general gist

IT Support companies would also have someone in a workshop working on printers/desktops etc, a good place for a lot of people to start

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

Try Intel Leixlip, HP Leixlip or HP CDS who do managed IT services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    In Drogheda you could ask Image, CTI or Callan Computers. Check the websites for phone numbers.

In Dundalk, CTI, Nortech or PC repair centre.

You can add Net1 and Digiweb to the Dundalk list. Both will have CCNA related work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fitnessguy3381

cargo wrote: »
    You can add Net1 and Digiweb to the Dundalk list. Both will have CCNA related work.

Dont know about Digiweb but I interviewed with Net1 a while back and when I mentioned my own cisco qualifications they didnt seem too bothered. The lad said they dont use cisco gear and then moved the conversation on.

Other IT companies in Dundalk you could try are:

Gyrolabs. They give IT training and train people up on servers networks etc. I know when I trained with them they were on Jocelyn street but I think they might have moved since then. Maybe someone else can chime in here?

Syncit. Like a smaller version of CTI. I know they were advertising for an actual job a month or two ago for a field technician. They have newly relocated to Blackthorn business park. Might be worth a call.

Intact. Is a software development company. This would be a great way to round out your coding skills if you could get in with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

cargo wrote: »

Dont know about Digiweb but I interviewed with Net1 a while back and when I mentioned my own cisco qualifications they didnt seem too bothered. The lad said they dont use cisco gear and then moved the conversation on.

Other IT companies in Dundalk you could try are:

Gyrolabs. They give IT training and train people up on servers networks etc. I know when I trained with them they were on Jocelyn street but I think they might have moved since then. Maybe someone else can chime in here?

Syncit. Like a smaller version of CTI. I know they were advertising for an actual job a month or two ago for a field technician. They have newly relocated to Blackthorn business park. Might be worth a call.

Intact. Is a software development company. This would be a great way to round out your coding skills if you could get in with them.
    Ok FG, not sure about Net1 myself but they are an ISP so routing and networking should be a major part of their operations.

The OP hasn't stated if they need Cisco experience on the placement specifically but I do understand the CCNA is a Cisco award so it's probably highly recommended.

I think I have seen Juniper in use by Net1. Digiweb definetly had a Cisco powered MPLS core in their network but I'm not sure what they use in recent times on the network but they should still have a vary large spread of Cisco kit on their network. But again they have split into Viatel and Digiweb in recent times so I'm not sure how much engineering is left in the Dundalk office. Most of the technical stuff is now up Blanchardstown.

The mention of Intact just reminded me of another software one in Dundalk. Prometric who operate the Driver Theory testing and other on-line training stuff are in the Finnabair. Again if it's just general IT hours the OP needs I'm sure there's loads of companies that have IT operations in house.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and possible companies, I have been offered a 6 week contract by a Dublin company, they are going to pay me which is unusual for a placement/internship, so commuting expenses will be covered. To qualify for my college credits it just has to be general IT, not necessarily Cisco CCNA related.
    When the 6 weeks are complete I will definitely be contacting some (or all!) of the companies suggested.

Thanks very much to everyone that replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

THEBLACKDEVIL , I've been offered a place on the same course, how do you find the coursework, does it require a lot of time?
    Are there plenty of work placements organized by the college and all of them are unpaid?
    Will the placements run during the summer months?

Thank you and sorry for so many questions.

rosmoke wrote: »
    THEBLACKDEVIL , I've been offered a place on the same course, how do you find the coursework, does it require a lot of time?
    Are there plenty of work placements organized by the college and all of them are unpaid?
    Will the placements run during the summer months?

Thank you and sorry for so many questions.

Sorry rosmoke just seen your post.

When I started the course I had very little knowledge of IT, networking etc, CCNA lectures/labs were 5-10 on Tuesdays and Linux was 6-10 on Thursdays (also some Saturdays) in my case I had to spend on average 16 additional hours a week to keep up with the course work, if we had exams I would put in extra hours! In ITB it's very much left to yourself to get through the content, some lecturers offer the absolute minimum of instruction.
    The work placements start end of June, early July,and last 6 weeks, the college use an IT recruitment agency in Finglas called FIT, but you can organise a placement yourself, placements are generally unpaid. (I got lucky!)

Should also mention that the drop out rate was very high, over 30 started with me and less than 10 completed.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement