Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have PS4 - Should I buy Xbox One?

Options
  • 13-07-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've had a PS4 for some years now and to be very honest, I'm very happy with it, but I'm now considering expanding my game base to some of the Xbox One exclusives etc.

Is there a new unit coming out in August? Should I wait until then?

Do you know if Daemon Souls/Dark Souls 1 are available for Xbox One (backward compat) in online store?

Is it worth the expense for this console and its exclusives?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Depends on your setup if getting the new model is worth it for you, but there's also no harm in waiting to see if there's any further discounts to the old model when it comes out if you're not in a rush. There's some great value bundles around now though.

Dark Souls 1 is available yep.

I have a PS4 and an Xb1, the PS4 is purely for Sony exclusives and my Xb1 for everything else/MS exclusives. I much prefer it to the PS4- for the OS, the controller, and it's much better value overall for digital game shopping.

Exclusive wise, aside from the biggies like Halo/Gears of War/Forza you should check out:
    Sunset Overdrive
    Ori & the Blind Forest
    Rare Replay
    Quantum Break
    Ryse (it got a real hard time but it's actually great)
    Titanfall
    Dead Rising
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

Upcoming Exclusives: Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2, Gears of War 4, Phantom Dust, Cuphead, Inside, Below etc

And also EA Access, which is the best value going in gaming!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

sticker wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've had a PS4 for some years now and to be very honest, I'm very happy with it, but I'm now considering expanding my game base to some of the Xbox One exclusives etc.

Is there a new unit coming out in August? Should I wait until then?

Do you know if Daemon Souls/Dark Souls 1 are available for Xbox One (backward compat) in online store?

Is it worth the expense for this console and its exclusives?

Thanks!

There's a new model coming out in a few months, which is 40% smaller, and has support for 4K/HDR televisions. Other than that, the two models will be mostly the same. If either of those things are important to you, then wait.

As it is, there are some amazing deals on the Xbox One already, I'm pretty sure they're trying to clear stock of the old one before the new version releases, so prices will probably return to normal after August.

Personally, I think the Xbox One is worth it as a solo console, but remember that you are asking the Xbox forum if the Xbox is worth it! Some of us may be a little biased! If you can afford it, then why not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

maximoose wrote: »
    Depends on your setup if getting the new model is worth it for you, but there's also no harm in waiting to see if there's any further discounts to the old model when it comes out if you're not in a rush. There's some great value bundles around now though.

Dark Souls 1 is available yep.

I have a PS4 and an Xb1, the PS4 is purely for Sony exclusives and my Xb1 for everything else/MS exclusives. I much prefer it to the PS4- for the OS, the controller, and it's much better value overall for digital game shopping.

Exclusive wise, aside from the biggies like Halo/Gears of War/Forza you should check out:
    Sunset Overdrive
    Ori & the Blind Forest
    Rare Replay
    Quantum Break
    Ryse (it got a real hard time but it's actually great)
    Titanfall
    Dead Rising
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

Upcoming Exclusives: Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2, Gears of War 4, Phantom Dust, Cuphead, Inside, Below etc

And also EA Access, which is the best value going in gaming!

Thanks - Is Demon Souls available on Xbox one store?

Oh missed that, Demon Souls is a PS3 exclusive so nope.

CatInABox wrote: »
    There's a new model coming out in a few months, which is 40% smaller, and has support for 4K/HDR televisions. Other than that, the two models will be mostly the same. If either of those things are important to you, then wait.

As it is, there are some amazing deals on the Xbox One already, I'm pretty sure they're trying to clear stock of the old one before the new version releases, so prices will probably return to normal after August.

Personally, I think the Xbox One is worth it as a solo console, but remember that you are asking the Xbox forum if the Xbox is worth it! Some of us may be a little biased! If you can afford it, then why not both?

Thanks!

I can afford it - I was looking specifically at Forza 6 / Inside / Red Dead Redemption (backwards comp - never played it)

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Oh missed that, Demon Souls is a PS3 exclusive so nope.

No worries - Shame that. Never understood why they didn;t do a remaster on that one. A huge fanbase now for Souls games...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If there's any bargains going around for the elite bundle then go for it. You don't know comfort until you've held the Xbox One Elite controller my friend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If there's any bargains going around for the elite bundle then go for it. You don't know comfort until you've held the Xbox One Elite controller my friend :cool:

MUST. NOT. SPOIL. THREAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SirJoker

In my opinion, it more depends on your game's style. Xbox has more party and family like games although there are some exceptions (Bioshock, GTA V, FIFA, NHL). PS has more actions, RPG and so on. Games for one player. (Heavy Rain, Until Dawn, Fallout, Uncharted). I have PS4 and Xbox 360 and I'm happy with that so yeah. You should definitely go for it if you'll use it and play a lot of games or there is more of you who would get use of it. (Like at my place. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SirJoker wrote: »
    In my opinion, it more depends on your game's style. Xbox has more party and family like games although there are some exceptions (Bioshock, GTA V, FIFA, NHL). PS has more actions, RPG and so on. Games for one player. (Heavy Rain, Until Dawn, Fallout, Uncharted). I have PS4 and Xbox 360 and I'm happy with that so yeah. You should definitely go for it if you'll use it and play a lot of games or there is more of you who would get use of it. (Like at my place. :D)

News just in Fallout for xbox one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I own the PS4, Xbox One and WiiU and, unfortunately, the Xbox One is paperweight at this stage.
    Multiplatform games run better on the PS4 and there aren't enough Xbox exclusives I want to play.

Hi,

So new Forza has me well tempted to pick up an Xbox now...

When is the new slim version coming out?

I assume the Scorpo is not coming for a while? Will it upscale games older games?

Xbox One S is already out, and there are some great deals from Amazon/Tesco Direct

Scorpio won't be out until the end of next year most likely, and it will upscale.

PS.. Forza Horizon 3 is absolutely wonderful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You have to search for the One S.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294&searchquery=Xbox+one+s&SrchId=4294967294

The 500GB with Fifa 17 was available for £199 from Tesco and Amazon last weekend. Hopefully that deal will pop up again.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You have to search for the One S.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294&searchquery=Xbox+one+s&SrchId=4294967294

The 500GB with Fifa 17 was available for £199 from Tesco and Amazon last weekend. Hopefully that deal will pop up again.

Thanks. Not that interested in fifa. More Forza

I wasn't either. It's just the FIFA bundle was £50 cheaper than any other bundle and you can sell the code for €40 easily making a new One S only €190 if it drops to that price again.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I wasn't either. It's just the FIFA bundle was £50 cheaper than any other bundle and you can sell the code for €40 easily making a new One S only €190 if it drops to that price again.

Didn't know it was a code... is the shipping cost not heavy from the uk

Didn't know it was a code... is the shipping cost not heavy from the uk

It's usually free delivery. Any orders over £25 from Amazon for example gets you free delivery to Ireland.

Exatly what Misky said. I'll sell the code on and bring the price of the console down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Try here.

EDIT: I see that I'm hopelessly behind the times. Ah well. I was severely tempted by that deal over the weekend, but then I went out drinking and never got around to it.

The 500 gig PS4 wreaked my head so I had to upgrade to a 2 TB Drive.

I assume the deal was for the XBox S was the 500gig?

The 500 gig PS4 wreaked my head so I had to upgrade to a 2 TB Drive.

I assume the deal was for the XBox S was the 500gig?

Yeah, and yes, it's as head wrecking on Xbox as it is on PS4. It's pretty cheap to get an external drive though, so it wasn't any great hassle to sort it out.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, and yes, it's as head wrecking on Xbox as it is on PS4. It's pretty cheap to get an external drive though, so it wasn't any great hassle to sort it out.

I wouldn't say it's head wreaking only having 500GB on Xbox with an external separately.

I don't even use the internal drive on mine bar for a few apps and have all the games on the external. It's very handy to unplug and bring to one of the lads houses.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's head wreaking only having 500GB on Xbox with an external separately.

I don't even use the internal drive on mine bar for a few apps and have all the games on the external. It's very handy to unplug and bring to one of the lads houses.

Ah, you picked me up wrong, I mean it's head wrecking only having 500GB. The external drive is a really simple solution, and is in no way head wrecking.

Advertisement