Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of work

Options
  • 13-07-2016 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

Just looking for some advice on costing if possible as getting a lot of different prices. How much would you expect to pay for having spot lights fitted in a ceiling. The wires will be run before it is slabbed so it should make the job that bit easier for the electrician as the only have to hook the wires up and the plasterer will then place ceiling up.

Also looking to get a window hooked on to the alarm system were all the openings will be alarmed and want to know if this is an expensive job?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Sharker wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for some advice on costing if possible as getting a lot of different prices. How much would you expect to pay for having spot lights fitted in a ceiling. The wires will be run before it is slabbed so it should make the job that bit easier for the electrician as the only have to hook the wires up and the plasterer will then place ceiling up.

Also looking to get a window hooked on to the alarm system were all the openings will be alarmed and want to know if this is an expensive job?

Any help appreciated.

It would be very hard to put a price on it without seeing the job.

When you say the wires will be run before it is slabbed do you mean you intend to do this yourself or get an electrician to do it?
    Personally there is no way I would take on a job like that without either having run the cables myself or seeing them before the slabbing is done as it would be a hard thing to fix if the wiring turns out to be wrong where spotlights are concerned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most electricians would have the view that finishing off electrical work that was started by another can be risky. It can be difficult to know what else is on the circuit, if the cables are installed properly, the condition of the cables, if the cables have poor quality joints etc. DIYer's have been known to do the craziest wiring with the best of intentions.

The general feeling is that it is just not worth the hassle be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sharker

Hi,

The ceiling will be battoned out so they can run their wires.. the ceiling will then go on after.

I wouldn't be running the wires. I just mentioned this as it makes it easier (I think) than having to fish the wires through a ceiling which is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Sharker wrote: »
    Hi,

The ceiling will be battoned out so they can run their wires.. the ceiling will then go on after.

I wouldn't be running the wires. I just mentioned this as it makes it easier (I think) than having to fish the wires through a ceiling which is already there.

You're right..it would be much easier to do it that way even though it will require 2 visits from the electrician.

I have no idea on costs as its not my line of work but best advice is to get a few of quotes and pick the best one unless you have someone in mind already to do it.

Advertisement