Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arduino Immersion switch controlled by Telegram (IM client)

• 13-07-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently got into arduinos and am really enjoying them and thought I'd share my first project with them.

Its a used for controlling my Immersion switch. I can send it commands via Telegram to turn on or off the Immersion, and also a boost which will turn it on for an hour and then turn it off.

tVKzGgU.jpg?2

RO8wlW2.jpg?1

• The chip is an Wemos d1 mini , its an arduino with built in wifi (Its $4 delivered from Aliexpress!). This connects to my wifi and communicates with Telegram (which is a IM client, very like whatsapp)
    • The orange thing is a servo motor that flicks the switch
    • The grey faceplate and switch extender are the black motor arm are 3d printed.

This is what you see when you are messaging the bot:

2Rh6lBg.jpg?2

At the moment I'm powering it with a battery pack (I need to change it every 3 days or so) but will be changing to mains soon.
    The reason i need the extender is that the switch is very stiff and the motor wasn't strong enough to flick it, so I had to get some law of the lever going.
    I tried to use sugru to stick the extender to the switch, but it wasn't strong enough, so I ended up superguleing it.

I've been using it for the last 2 weeks or so and its working out great! Really happy with it.

I've a few more ideas in mind for it, such as been able to add a schedule (like turn on every morning at 7 or whatever)

For more information on the code and parts you can check out the projects github page

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Nice project. I love the mechanical switch connection - i wouldn't have even thought of doing that, i'd be running the lot through a relay or something so interesting to see different approaches.

Quite some time ago i made a heating controller with an android tablet that allowed you to program it via a google calendar. I don't go into any detail of the specifics of that bit on my blog but you can read a bit about it here: http://www.chet.ie/?p=178

That controller has long been replaced and the code gone with it but if its something you'd like to do (and are on android) then i can dig into it.

Advertisement