Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT SWISS 23 SPLINE V CAMPAG ZONDAS

Options
  • 13-07-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi,

Have been looking at a new set of wheels recently and was set on getting a pair of Zondas currently available €360.

Then I saw the DT Swiss R23's on Chain Reaction today for €275. I can't find much in the way of a review online so was wondering if anyone had any experience of them?

I could get the r23's with new tyres and tubes for the same price as the zondas.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

New zondas coming our so old ones might be discounted soon

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/campagnolo-zonda-c17-weight-details-47549/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Thud wrote: »
    New zondas coming our so old ones might be discounted soon

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/campagnolo-zonda-c17-weight-details-47549/

I'd reckon the new ones will be more expensive seen as they are so popular with cyclists and always classed as under priced. Old ones will stay the same price till out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Yeah both are on sale.

Zondas are down from anywhere between 450-550 depending on the site and 23's down from about 460.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Wobs wrote: »
    Yeah both are on sale.

Zondas are down from anywhere between 450-550 depending on the site and 23's down from about 460.

both good wheels. zondas are better in my view having ridden both.

for at least 4 years now it has been possible to get zondas for about 330 online...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have the R23's and have no problems with them. Not sure what hubs I've got but the freewheel is really loud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Z_a_x

I have both wheelsets, the Zonda's are slightly lighter, 1550g on my scales with Campagnolo freehub, the R23's came in at 1600g and need rim tape. I have the newer wider rim R23s which seemed like a good idea but makes putting on tyres much more difficult.
    I'd pick the Zonda's everytime, they just feel a little more lively, more willing. I got mine from Ribble during one of their 12% off everything sales for about 270, Sterling was a lot stronger then, not sure what delivery is I had a big order so delivery was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Someone said swim cycle run had zondas for 329 (wish I'd seen that before ordering mine)

But got say moving from 5 year old ksyrium sls they feel a lot smoother and at least as light.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would anyone know how these wheels would compare to the likes of the Mavic Krysium elite wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The Zonda's spank the Kysrium elites in my view. And all of the Kysrium range regardless of price (aerodynamically terrible wheels even for box section rim standards). I have quite a few bikes to put it mildly and although I like the Mavics and have a set or two, I just don't think they stack up against the Zonda's, which was a surprise for me.

DT23's are a fine wheel. I would call them comparable to the Mavic's. The Zonda's are great though, I am surprised Campag still have them in their line up.. I think they even overstate their weight to make the Neutron, Eurus and Shamals, all nice wheels in their own right.. look like they are worth the extra money (my first set of Zondas came in 1498g with a campy freehub about 2 years ago).

Thanks Guys!
    Think I will stick with the Zondas alright.

New dilemma is do I buy now or wait for the new model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks Guys!

Go new with 25mm tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks Guys!

The new 17mm Zonda will be a bit heavier than the current 15mm version. My Zondas with Shimano freehub weigh 1593g (the campy version is a claimed 1555g) so the new version will likely be 1630-1640g-ish with Shimano freehub.

jamesd wrote: »
    Go new with 25mm tyres

Will the current ones not take 25mm tyres?

Will the current ones not take 25mm tyres?

Yes they will . 25mm vittoria rubino or veloflex masters on mine. New ones have wider rims as is the fashion and this is supposed to make them more aero.
    New ones are 17mm rather than 15mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Yes they will . 25mm vittoria rubino or veloflex masters on mine. New ones have wider rims as is the fashion and this is supposed to make them more aero.
    New ones are 17mm rather than 15mm

In theory there is also an improvement in comfort to be found for the same tyres, as the tyres bulge out more (think of the difference between 23s and 25s on the same rim), making them more akin to a larger tyre on a smaller rim. Certainly the 25s I have on a set of R24s look a lot bigger than the 25s on a set of cheap Rose wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dono1975

When are the new one's expected to be released ?

New ones not out till September.

Only sites that seem to have them in stock with shimano hub at the moment seem to be the German sites.

Does anyone have any experience with 4thebike or bike-discount regarding delivery? If I was to order today what would be the likelihood of me receiving them before next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Only sites that seem to have them in stock with shimano hub at the moment seem to be the German sites.

Does anyone have any experience with 4thebike or bike-discount regarding delivery? If I was to order today what would be the likelihood of me receiving them before next weekend?

I have bought from 4thebike.
    If you order today, I'd say there was a very good chance, you'll have them for next weekend. They're very good.
    Order before 2.00pm their time(1.00PM our time) and you're a business day ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Normally 5 working days with both

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Ordered a set of Zondas from 4thebike on Monday. They weren't marked as shipped until Wednesday. Never received a tracking number so not sure if they'll arrive today but I'd expect them Monday.

• Advertisement

Bike 24 took 8 days. 4 days in gatwick

Ok,

Ordered with 4thebike at lunch!:D
    They will arrive when they arrive I guess.

Thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would anyone know Is swim cyclerun website the cheapest place to get the Zondas? Also OP are you just upgrading your stock wheels and do they need replacement and do you race (are these wheels of more use to those who race)?

billyhead wrote: »
    Would anyone know Is swim cyclerun website the cheapest place to get the Zondas? Also OP are you just upgrading your stock wheels and do they need replacement and do you race (are these wheels of more use to those who race)?

Thats a great price at swimcyclerun.
    free postage as well.
    But, Ive just checked again. no availability

4thebike.de seems to be the cheapest at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Thats a great price at swimcyclerun.
    free postage as well.
    But, Ive just checked again. no availability

4thebike.de seems to be the cheapest at the moment.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Zonda

Campagnolo only though. €292 plus delivery.

Hi,
    Swimcyclerun are currently 339 but never in stock, 4thebike worked out at 337 delivered.

Yeah I'm just upgrading from stock wheels which don't need replacing only for my own satisfaction! No I don't race, just club spins and the odd sportive. Doing the Meath Heritage next weekend hence why hoping for delivery before than.

I should have both a couple of weeks ago on chain reaction for 336, it think of was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Any time I check swimcyclerun it shows no stock on Zondas, I don't race and I am 13 stones and the Zondas made by cycling a lot nice / smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Fulcrum racing 3 are €349 on 4thebike, would they be a step up again from zondas?

longshanks wrote: »
    Fulcrum racing 3 are €349 on 4thebike, would they be a step up again from zondas?

They are pretty much identical. "Fulcrum" is owned by Camapgnolo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Eamonnator wrote: »
    They are pretty much identical. "Fulcrum" is owned by Camapgnolo.

Ah right, I knew they were one company with two brands, but didn't know what the equivalent campagnolo wheel was to a fulcrum wheel.

Advertisement