Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex employer refuses to give me my p45

Options
  • 13-07-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I finished a month and a half ago with this company after 4 months there paying emergency tax, although I gave my P45 and I was in touch with the tax office so they could send my tax credits... TWICE!!
    I needed the P45 or a letter saying I had finished work with them and they refused to do so...
    Spoke to the tax office and they were gonna request my p45...I am still waiting for this to happen.. I am starting a new job next week and I really cant afford to continue to be on emergency tax with this new company aswell..
    They've advised me to follow up with my ex employer but it is not a comfortable situation and I don't see why should I be chasing anyone!

Any ideas on what else can I do?? :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try asking Citizen's Information for help, sometimes a phone call from them to the employer can sort things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

dionisia wrote: »
    So I finished a month and a half ago with this company after 4 months there paying emergency tax, although I gave my P45 and I was in touch with the tax office so they could send my tax credits... TWICE!!
    I needed the P45 or a letter saying I had finished work with them and they refused to do so...
    Spoke to the tax office and they were gonna request my p45...I am still waiting for this to happen.. I am starting a new job next week and I really cant afford to continue to be on emergency tax with this new company aswell..
    They've advised me to follow up with my ex employer but it is not a comfortable situation and I don't see why should I be chasing anyone!

Any ideas on what else can I do?? :/

Unfortunately you've already followed correct procedure - short of door stepping your old employer there's not much you can do. Of course, if you have a day free, you could always go hang out there until they give you the P45. I'd also get back in touch with Revenue to see if they have an update for you. Did you get payslips in the old place? Any chance he wasn't paying PRSI?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/no_p45_no_p60.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dionisia

Yes was on the phone to them earlier, the answer I got is to chase them until I got an answer..
    Payroll is done by an external company I was already in touch with them aswell and apparently the problem is that my employers has not sent all the details they need.. I got payslips and mentioned the fact that more than half of my pay was gone on taxes and to please check it out..
    FRUSTRATING!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dom84

You don't really need a P45.
    Once you start your new job ring the tax office tell them you have started a new job and switch your tax credits over.
    They should be able to sort out any refund from your previous job as well.

Dom84 wrote: »
    Once you start your new job ring the tax office tell them you have started a new job and switch your tax credits over.

Already asked the question, I wont be on emergency tax as my new employer has already given me their details, but I was told by tax officer I will be paying more tax and I won't get tax refunded until they get the P45. They don't have any record of how much I earned and how much I payed cause my previous employer didn't sent any info.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Dom84 wrote: »

I'd advise you to contact the tax office before you start your new job.
    Ring the 1890 number and give them the new company's tax number - they will issue a tax credit cert on a Temporary (week1) basis to the new job. It will mean you'll have some credits to reduce the tax you pay.

The only way to get back the tax you have already paid is for you or Revenue to get the P45.
    Did the tax office tell you if they have issued a P46 to the old employer - this is sort of a reminder letter to the old employer that your P45 is outstanding.

Once the P45 details are with Revenue they can issue full tax credits to your new job - the new payroll will repay the excess tax to you.

mydarkstar wrote: »
    I'd advise you to contact the tax office before you start your new job.
    Ring the 1890 number and give them the new company's tax number - they will issue a tax credit cert on a Temporary (week1) basis to the new job. It will mean you'll have some credits to reduce the tax you pay.

The only way to get back the tax you have already paid is for you or Revenue to get the P45.
    Did the tax office tell you if they have issued a P46 to the old employer - this is sort of a reminder letter to the old employer that your P45 is outstanding.

Once the P45 details are with Revenue they can issue full tax credits to your new job - the new payroll will repay the excess tax to you.

Done all that. P43 was issued but still waiting... Already given the info of my new employer and the tax officer told me i would still need my p45 to sort out my tax with my new employer.. Tax credits should have been used in my previous job but as they didn't register me I was over paying tax (emergency tax)..
    I have followed up this for 2 weeks now and I've contact the tax office in different occasions aswell as my previous employer to try and get the P45 with no success at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

Request it in writing addressed to HR via a formal freedom of information request. I had a similar situation and I eventually got it going down this route.

Advertisement