Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit time through immigration in LA airport?

Options
  • 13-07-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm travelling to the US (Los Angeles) with Ethiopian Airlines and I wondered how long it takes to clear Immigration and Customs in Los Angeles airport? I want to book a shuttle bus and need to give them a time. I can't do the whole immigration clearance in Dublin because the flight originates in another country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Pakal wrote: »
    I'm travelling to the US (Los Angeles) with Ethiopian Airlines and I wondered how long it takes to clear Immigration and Customs in Los Angeles airport? I want to book a shuttle bus and need to give them a time. I can't do the whole immigration clearance in Dublin because the flight originates in another country.
    How long is a piece of string? Depends on how many flights are in at the same time, how many agents are on, and whether there is any increased terror alert.

I've never found LAX to be particularly efficient. Is there any way you can book a generic shuttle that you can summon on arrival? I've done it with car services in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

LAX can be hit and miss, depending on what flights arrive around same time.

Shuttles generally don't hold you to the exact time as it's more a guideline to help them predict passenger volume: they know customs and immigration wait times can vary. Check with them, but normally they'll let you on the next available service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I've seen it be as little as 45 mins and (the last time I was picking someone up there in Jan) it was 5 hours.....

It's a crapshoot.

If it was me, I'd gamble that I'd be at the bus stop 2 hours after scheduled landing time.

FYI, most shuttles down there are looping constantly, if you miss the designated one, you just get the next. Where is the shuttle for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭SwanBot

I'm travelling to the US (Los Angeles) with Ethiopian Airlines and I wondered how long it takes to clear Immigration and Customs in Los Angeles airport?
    Ethiopian longer I would think compared to domestic international carriers. Sniffing dogs a good sign so no worries if you see them. Security moves faster with dogs. One hour minimum during peak hours. Baggage claim terrible it can be, so no tell'in.
    I want to book a shuttle bus and need to give them a time. I can't do the whole immigration clearance in Dublin because the flight originates in another country.
    Book in advance with well known shuttles. Flexible if you are late they are as happens all time LAX. Avoid unmarked drive-by cars or vans that solicit you curbside. They could take you for a "ride" into gangland Inglewood, Watts, or South Central no matter what you tell them. Really pay you may then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would you use an Uber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

January wrote: »
    Would you use an Uber?

If the OP is using a regular shuttle they'll be fine, there's always tonnes of them floating around, if they miss one, they can just get the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭SwanBot

January wrote: »
    Would you use an Uber?
    Not at LAX. Book with regular van, and void unmarked vans. They expect lateness at AP, so no problem if you are.

Advertisement