Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue "making up" tax owed figures

Options
  • 13-07-2016 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone else come across this.

My friends son was a self employed plumber in Dublin, during the boom he was earning a nice living, however when the bust came he headed off overseas back in 2010 and is working there now

Being self employed he registered with Revenue and during the week the sheriff called to his my friends house with a demand for over €1000.

When we looked at the correspondence it seems that Revenue created two estimated VAT returns, sent him a few letters to his folks house (which he seems to have ignored as they were forwarded on to him) so the sheriff been sent along.

I'm going to help them out by registering him for ROS and just submitting nil returns for whatever he has outstanding, but my questions are

1. Are the Revenue just making up figures to get people who havent submitted returns in a while to close down their dormant numbers?

2. How/Why can Revenue just pluck a figure out of thin air and demand it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone else come across this.

My friends son was a self employed plumber in Dublin, during the boom he was earning a nice living, however when the bust came he headed off overseas back in 2010 and is working there now

Being self employed he registered with Revenue and during the week the sheriff called to his my friends house with a demand for over €1000.

When we looked at the correspondence it seems that Revenue created two estimated VAT returns, sent him a few letters to his folks house (which he seems to have ignored as they were forwarded on to him) so the sheriff been sent along.

I'm going to help them out by registering him for ROS and just submitting nil returns for whatever he has outstanding, but my questions are

1. Are the Revenue just making up figures to get people who havent submitted returns in a while to close down their dormant numbers?

1 estimate where no return filed so 'yes'
    2 yes is the answer here too

File zero returns and deregister him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Nuttzz wrote: »

1. Its a great scare tactic to get people to get upto date.

2. under section 22 of the Value-Added Tax Act 1972.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1972/act/22/section/22/enacted/en/html

Advertisement