Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bookmarks.html Merge

Options
  • 13-07-2016 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch of bookmark.html files of various vintage, and from a wide variety of browsers, that I would like to merge into a master bookmarks.html file, while deleting duplicate entries and retaining sub-directories and their contents.

Is there a script that will achieve this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have a bunch of bookmark.html files of various vintage, and from a wide variety of browsers, that I would like to merge into a master bookmarks.html file, while deleting duplicate entries and retaining sub-directories and their contents.

Is there a script that will achieve this?

Thanks.

Maybe try this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks.
    I had read that (amongst others), but it did not seem to be what I am looking for.
    For instance near the end one contributor says
    you will have multiple folders inside the bookmars but it shouldn t take more than 5 minutes and manually delete the duplicates after sorting them by name
    Obviously if I could do it in 5 mins it would already be done.

The other suggestion/s seem to depend on the bookmarks.html files being specifically Firefox generated.
    Maybe I am misinterpreting this.

Thanks.
    I had read that (amongst others), but it did not seem to be what I am looking for.
    For instance near the end one contributor says

Obviously if I could do it in 5 mins it would already be done.

The other suggestion/s seem to depend on the bookmarks.html files being specifically Firefox generated.
    Maybe I am misinterpreting this.

If you want to send me the files I'll write a script which does it for you.

syklops wrote: »
    If you want to send me the files I'll write a script which does it for you.

Thank you for that offer ..... much appreciated!

I hope I won't seem ungrateful if I ask for a 'rain-check' on that offer. I would like to investigate a few other options before I ask for direct help of that kind.
    Hopefully you understand ...... and thank you again for that offer. ;)

Thank you for that offer ..... much appreciated!

I hope I won't seem ungrateful if I ask for a 'rain-check' on that offer. I would like to investigate a few other options before I ask for direct help of that kind.
    Hopefully you understand ...... and thank you again for that offer. ;)

No worries. Im sure it can be done easily enough. If you just import the three bookmarks, does it not automatically merge the duplicates?

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    No worries. Im sure it can be done easily enough. If you just import the three bookmarks, does it not automatically merge the duplicates?

Not the way I have done it so far.
    I will try a few things using a new profile in FF maybe and see how that works out.

Advertisement