Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ringing like rattle noise

• 13-07-2016 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I've got a dragstar 650 and I've noticed a new sound. Its only there when I'm in fifth gear and accelerating from the low end. I don't think it's coming from the gearbox but I can only hear it in fifth. It's a tough one to describe but it's a ringing kind of high pitched rattle as if there was lose washer rattling on a nut. I had a quick look and couldn't see anything loose. Can anyone suggest where I should focus my investigation. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hi folks. I've got a dragstar 650 and I've noticed a new sound. Its only there when I'm in fifth gear and accelerating from the low end. I don't think it's coming from the gearbox but I can only hear it in fifth. It's a tough one to describe but it's a ringing kind of high pitched rattle as if there was lose washer rattling on a nut. I had a quick look and couldn't see anything loose. Can anyone suggest where I should focus my investigation. Thanks.

I was about to say: I'm surprised you can hear anything over the chain slap if you're "in fifth gear and accelerating from the low end." But it's shaft-drive isn't it?

You're probably in too high a gear for the speed. Maybe it's pinking, "pre-ignition" of fuel. Higher octane fuel would help but it's not necessary; match the gear to the road speed instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Not sure either so gonna take a wild stab in the dark - tappets or cam chain tensioner maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd guess pre-ignition as well. If it is, it's very bad for the engine bearings. It's called 'lugging the engine' - trying to accelerate from low revs in a high gear. Don't keep doing it - drop a gear or two instead.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thanks lads. I haven't had a chance to get out since I posted this so I'm going from memory but I'm not sure I've been accelerating from too low. I've never noticed this noise before and I doubt my driving habits have changed but I'll be more conscious of it now. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks lads. I haven't had a chance to get out since I posted this so I'm going from memory but I'm not sure I've been accelerating from too low. I've never noticed this noise before and I doubt my driving habits have changed but I'll be more conscious of it now. Thanks.

You did say "Its only there when I'm in fifth gear and accelerating from the low end." :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Esel wrote: »
    You did say "Its only there when I'm in fifth gear and accelerating from the low end." :)

Yeah I'm just not sure how low . that could be it I'll just have to look out for it.

Advertisement