Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

From the Guardian... "Keith Holmes says: “French TV has just read a rule from the rule book that says a rider can be ‘repêché’, his time can be changed in his favour in case of an ‘encombrement de route’ which is basically a jam on the roads. Could this apply?”

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Did they already set a precedence for accidents outside the norm during this years TDF with the flamme rouge coming down and using times from the 3km or 5km mark? They could have just said "tough luck lads".

What incidents count as worthy of doing this though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Burial. wrote: »
    If Froome gets away without any penalty for running then the Tour is hitting a new low tbh

There is no rule to stop you running. You have to cross the line with a bike, that's it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why not take it at the point of the crash? Weren't Yates and Quintana a little closer when that happened than when they were at 1km? Why not just go back to 3 km.

You'd think Porte still rides for Sky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Well to be fair... we haven't seen the bike..."Totalled" could be an exaggeration.

Pic of the damage to the bike
    CnVhp7vXEAAeqMa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

I'm sure there will be a few objections from other teams / Quintana / etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Froome's bike was run over by a following moto, apparently...

"What a final. In the final kilometre, the moto braked suddenly in front of us, and Richie, Bauke and I crashed into it, and then the moto behind me ran over my bike and broke it," Froome said.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So kinda caught up now. Had the original winner crossed the line before or after Porte, Froome, et al, crash. Has that been taken into consideration for the revised times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So kinda caught up now. Had the original winner crossed the line before or after Porte, Froome, et al, crash. Has that been taken into consideration for the revised times?

They had finished before the crash and it isnt being taken into account afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mint Sauce wrote: »

De Gendt crossed the line approx. three minutes before Froome et al. crashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They had finished before the crash and it isnt being taken into account afaik

Porte and froome have been given the same time as Mollema

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Porte and froome have been given the same time as Mollema

I think that is the fairest result. As long as Quintana/Yates/others didn't get an advantage because of the slowdown with the crash.

It is crazy with the fans so close. Barriers will have to be put up but they would need to be fairly steady. Otherwise you could get a crush of people pushing one over.

Even the big waving flags are dangerous.

What a mess it would be if Froome or soneone had been injured by the crash and it hampering their prospects after for the rest of the stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Enduro wrote: »
    Froome's bike was run over by a following moto, apparently...

"What a final. In the final kilometre, the moto braked suddenly in front of us, and Richie, Bauke and I crashed into it, and then the moto behind me ran over my bike and broke it," Froome said.

Its a motorcycle or motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Didn't see todays stage, what happened Dan.

I know big mounyains aren't his forte. How early/late was he dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Looks like Quintana was dropped out of the chasing group along with TVG. He might not finish on the podium.

As I said up the thread, if its not drugs its something else with this sport.
    Farce is not a strong enough word. You'd wonder why anyone bothers following it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

terrydel wrote: »
    As I said up the thread, if its not drugs its something else with this sport.
    Farce is not a strong enough word. You'd wonder why anyone bothers following it at times.

It's like pro wrestling, pure entertainment :D

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It's like pro wrestling, pure entertainment :D

That has scantily clad ladies tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Didn't see todays stage, what happened Dan.

I know big mounyains aren't his forte. How early/late was he dropped?

He was dropped pretty early on the Ventoux. He was one of the first guys high up in the GC to go out the back of the yellow jersey group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Froome will not have completed the full stage on a bike.

Don't you just need to finish with the bike as opposed to on it? IIRC Cav walked across the line with his bike years ago while with Team Nokia Bolivia Low Road.

Edit: sorry I thought that he finished on foot. Didn't have all the facts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Cycling has naked Oleg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Well what a crazy afternoon ..spent it watching the stage in the extra coolness in what is the Rapha Cycling Club in London .

A very nice spot for food , coffee and beer with big screens with Eurosport live , a nice mix of hard core bikers and suits in for the buzz.

Had a great chat with an 72 year old cyclist who watches all the live races at Rapha CC . Two seconds before the uphill crash we agreed that Steel and Ti bikes where still the best .."That's why do don't have full carbon !" We said ..as the loyal english crowd clapped for Froome as he ran up the Mt. ..

So if your in London during a big stage race I recommend you drop in ....Leave the Credit card behind too much expensive nice Rapha gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I mean, if Jens can do it, surely the greatest cyclist in the world can do it.

What has Sagan got to do with this?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

cycling has scantily clad men in mankinis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Don't you just need to finish with the bike as opposed to on it? IIRC Cav walked across the line with his bike years ago while with Team Nokia Bolivia Low Road.

Diego Rosa in the Vuelta Catalunya this year carried bike over his head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

This picture from cyclingnews shows froome, porte and mollema being led up the mountain by 4 photographers on motorbikes. Only one of them could actually get any photos and was literally asking for trouble.
    CnVmqnkXgAAogOu.jpg

That is not to excuse the farce of the results which are still being changed again!!!!!!!

Surely organisers would have a reasonable estimate of the number of fans on ventoux and got information to the cavalcade / motorbikes to prepare accordingly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think it was the right result. What's the difference between this and what happened Yates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Bauke Mollema ‏@BaukeMollema 1m1 minute ago

What's going on? Seems like everybody gets time bonuses. I wonder what would have happened if I would have been the only one to go down...

I have to say he is 100% correct.

Meanwhile there are reports that an appeal to the decision has been lodged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Burial. wrote: »
    I have to say he is 100% correct.

Meanwhile there are reports that an appeal to the decision has been lodged.

Yates got his time recounted so I assume that's what would have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

cunavalos wrote: »

Surely organisers would have a reasonable estimate of the number of fans on ventoux and got information to the cavalcade / motorbikes to prepare accordingly.

You had an extra 6.5km of spectators thrown in due to the stage being shortened, hard to cater for that in fairness.

Advertisement