Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

cunavalos wrote: »
    Surely organisers would have a reasonable estimate of the number of fans on ventoux and got information to the cavalcade / motorbikes to prepare accordingly.

The finish line was changed late yesterday which shortened the route. This left the same number of people onto less mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

The finish line was changed late yesterday which shortened the route. This left the same number of people onto less mountain

+1 And it is the 14th July so more people on the road than a regular weekday stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Burial. wrote: »
    I have to say he is 100% correct.

Meanwhile there are reports that an appeal to the decision has been lodged.

Who has appealed, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Just saw it there. Could Froome really not have done the last couple of mins on the neutral bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Suggestion of the service vehicle for upcoming stages

https://twitter.com/LoveCrossedCX/status/753612192596058112

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Gerrans out of the tour with a broken collarbone

https://twitter.com/simongerrans/status/753647209615327232?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

https://twitter.com/nealrogers/status/753630788097236993

Froome on the bottom right of the pile, Porte to the left, Mollema on top with the Gendarmerie moto in the background riding over Froomes fork, breaking it instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Who has appealed, do you know?

Mollema.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Froome on the bottom right of the pile, Porte to the left, Mollema on top with the Gendarmerie moto in the background riding over Froomes front fork, breaking it instantly.
    All 3 look very lucky not to have picked up a serious injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

+1 And it is the 14th July so more people on the road than a regular weekday stage.

Exactly the iconic stage on bastille day where spectator numbers were going to be condensed into a shorter distance.

Surely a plan could have put in place before the riders got on to the climb to remove/restrict some of the cars and motorbikes getting access to the climb once the size of the crowd was known.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Would they have neutralised times had yates or quintana had this incident after froome was already through?

I hazard a guess at no.

Dont think i agree with the reversal of times.

Also. Why were the peleton slowed down earlier today when sky riders crashed? It wasnt the yellow jersey that crashed. He was in serious danger of being isolated so tells the bunch to back off!? Ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Would they have neutralised times had yates or quintana had this incident after froome was already through?

I hazard a guess at no.

Dont think i agree with the reversal of times.

Also. Why were the peleton slowed down earlier today when sky riders crashed? It wasnt the yellow jersey that crashed. He was in serious danger of being isolated so tells the bunch to back off!? Ridiculous imo.

IMO the organisers will always put the tour's reputation and profile first when making those decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    All 3 look very lucky not to have picked up a serious injury

Bet they won't speak about it ever again after the race is finished though!!!

nc6000 wrote: »
    Just saw it there. Could Froome really not have done the last couple of mins on the neutral bike?

Pretty tough to cycle up a climb with your feet slipping off the pedals and probably the wrong gearing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Pretty tough to cycle up a climb with your feet slipping off the pedals and probably the wrong gearing for it.

Whatever about the pedals, surely the bike is set up to suit each stage?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Dunno, it's just a guess. To me it always looked like the neutral services were there just to get the sponsors name seen and they never really expected to be used.

I'm curious too if someone had a definite answer to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Aside from the discussion of whether they would have changed the times for Quintana/Yates, I definitely think it was the right thing to do. Losing so much because of a fan/moto collision is not how I want the biggest race to be decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Even if the bike was set up, would it be in the correct gear? Are they all kept in first when not being used?

Just watching the highlights. Even after the crash there was some noob running IN FRONT of one of the following camera bikes. I know there was extra spectators due to a shortened stage, but the behaviour of some fans is inexcusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Watching itv highlights and portes pointing the finger of blame squarely on the fans blocking the road

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just watching the highlights. Even after the crash there was some noob running IN FRONT of one of the following camera bikes. I know there was extra spectators due to a shortened stage, but the behaviour of some fans is inexcusable.

The polish clown? He was some vvanker

neris wrote: »
    Watching itv highlights and portes pointing the finger of blame squarely on the fans blocking the road

Well...yeah?

Seems obvious that the only reason the motorbike would brake suddenly like that would be to avoid running over someone?

I feel sorry for Porte, he seemed so frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

That is pretty interesting. Should he not be penalised a certain amount of seconds for that stretch he walked without the bike.

I guess it is difficult to sort as so many rules could be broken.

As others have said if it happened further down the road to Quintana or Martin you would wonder what would be done. I guess unless you were in serious GC contention the organisers wouldn't bother. Very unfair for any cyclist though.

neris wrote: »
    The polish clown? He was some vvanker

With the A3 sized placard. Absolute idiot, ITV4 just described him the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I don't see the gearing being a problem. Ventoux is not the Angliru or Zoncolan. Its about 12% maximum. Worst case scenario the bike had 11-23, someone like Froome should manage OK for the last 2km to cross the line. Pantani did the Mortirolo stuck in 39x22.
    If the bike was mechanical instead of Di2 surely he hasn't forgotten how to push a lever?

Anyhoo...
    Poor old Chris, he spends the past few days winning over everyone with mental descending and getting in the break with Sagan, and now everyone hates him again through no fault of his own. I loved that "WTF did you just say?" moment when the interviewer said his legs seemed to be working fine :D

The last few years, the Giro and especially La Vuelta have had all the drama and excitement. Nice to see the Tour upping it's game ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This was the equivalent of a pitch invasion in the middle of a football match, security rushes onto the pitch, taking out a goalkeeper from the game so the other team scores an open goal. Not a single person would expect that goal to count.

I don't care what happened with past incidents, letting that result stand would have been a sporting travesty.
    Anyone who thinks they should have the yellow jersey, or win a tour on the back of something like that should be ashamed of themselves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

spanish police need to be drafted in to dish out a few wooden shampoos to those idiots, dont see that at the vuelta

as for waiting for froome earlier in the day, if they're stupid enough to wait for a guy having a p1ss then thats on them

Advertisement