Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

F**k me!,

Was avoiding this thread today as I wanted to watch the highlights, saw that there was plenty of posts and I was itching to read it. Never would have guessed that was what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It is absolutely senseless and infuriating to have neutral bikes with no Shimano pedals.

In this video, it shows they have Mavic, Look and toe straps - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buDsaRmcMv0#t=135

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Unreal drama and was jumping off the couch watching Froome running up the hill....wtf!!

Anyway, my main take away from today's stage was Porte drilling Froome up the mountain whilst leaving his team mate TVG behind him to haemorrhage time!

Original times should have stood!

Good interview with Bardet after the race.

Flecha was gas with Ashley after the race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Actual finish times should have stood

crashing is part of racing and he should have had a team mate close and taken his bike
    What an idiot to start running instead of waiting for a bike

Contador had to suffer from his crashes with no allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Would this not be similar to Porte taking a wheel from one of the Orica boys last year ...

I reckon Froome should be penalised for not completing the entire stage on the bike. Expultion would be ridiculous, but surely a time penalty is called for.

Some might say he did it in the heat of the moment, wasnt thinking clearly. Same could be said for Porte last season ... he still had to take the penalty.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Would this not be similar to Porte taking a wheel from one of the Orica boys last year ...

I reckon Froome should be penalised for not completing the entire stage on the bike. Expultion would be ridiculous, but surely a time penalty is called for.

Some might say he did it in the heat of the moment, wasnt thinking clearly. Same could be said for Porte last season ... he still had to take the penalty.

Porte dropped his team mate who was in contention for GC!!

MrMischief wrote: »
    Porte dropped his team mate who was in contention for GC!!

Porte was the GC contender / team lead for Sky in the Giro for 2015, when the aussie wheel swap happened, no?

He got no preferencial treatment, he got himself a 2min penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This was the equivalent of a pitch invasion in the middle of a football match, security rushes onto the pitch, taking out a goalkeeper from the game so the other team scores an open goal. Not a single person would expect that goal to count.

I don't care what happened with past incidents, letting that result stand would have been a sporting travesty.
    Anyone who thinks they should have the yellow jersey, or win a tour on the back of something like that should be ashamed of themselves.

Yes, but the way the ASO have done it they have deemed the match over at that stage. Froome was ahead, but who knows what the others could have done in the final few minutes. They might well have been holding a bit back to claw back as Froome slowed down.

So basically (and of course this is not Froomes fault) you can launch a massive attack and if you are starting to struggle fall off your bike and they'll just give you the stage end. That an extreme, but once you go down this route it is very hard to draw a line.

Contador crashed and nobody waited for him. What about the Giro when Steven Kruijswijk crashed? Why not wait for him or neutralise the stage then?

I'm not against Froome not loosing out due to this, but to end up gaining because of it?

• Advertisement

Porte was the GC contender / team lead for Sky in the Giro for 2015, when the aussie wheel swap happened, no?

He got no preferencial treatment, he got himself a 2min penalty

All I'm saying is I cannot for the life of me understand why Porte was working with Froome when TVG, his team lead, was being dropped by his attacks! Teejay is still ahead of Porte in GC after the revised times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

wpd wrote: »
    Actual finish times should have stood ....

So every time a crazy fan doesn't fancy a race leader he just knocks him off his bike?
    I think todays solution is the fairest under the, very difficult, circumstances!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

C3PO wrote: »
    So every time a crazy fan doesn't fancy a race leader he just knocks him off his bike?
    I think todays solution is the fairest under the, very difficult, circumstances!

I think the fairest was to neutralise from the start of the climb and let the group ahead keep their finishing positions and gaps

C3PO wrote: »

If stage winner Tom de Gendt lost the stage due to a similar incident i guarantee you that the original finish times would have stood!

All I'm saying is I cannot for the life of me understand why Porte was working with Froome when TVG, his team lead, was being dropped by his attacks! Teejay is still ahead of Porte in GC after the revised times.

Porte's riding today isnt what I'm questioning.

Porte took a wheel from a rider from a team other than his own in the Giro15. This is an infraction of the rules, he got a 2 minute penalty and a fine.

How is that different from Froome today completing part of the course without the bike (its not like he took 10 passes to get around the debri of the crash, he ran up the course)? Clear infraction of the rules, fine and time pen no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If stage winner Tom de Gendt lost the stage due to a similar incident i guarantee you that the original finish times would have stood!

going for a stage and going for the GC are two very different situations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

From the link that Neris posted above.

Crazy! :eek:

https://twitter.com/ju_drem/status/753286302095777792

Looks like a perfect day for a cycle otherwise!!

Just watched the stage on ITV4 plus 1. WOW.

It might have been said already but this crowding was probably an untended consequence of shortening the stage. Rather than people spread out on the extra 6km, they crammed into a shorter area. And, it being Bastille day, meant crowds probably reached peak levels too -a double whammy!

wasnt there an incident in recent years where a fan went to push a rider(in a positive helping fashion ie. up hill) in the final few km of a climb but he ended ip skipped a gear or un clipping or similar ... he lost contact with his fellow escapee(s) and didnt get back on ... no time back there either.

Porte's riding today isnt what I'm questioning.

Porte took a wheel from a rider from a team other than his own in the Giro15. This is an infraction of the rules, he got a 2 minute penalty and a fine.

How is that different from Froome today completing part of the course without the bike (its not like he took 10 passes to get around the debri of the crash, he ran up the course)? Clear infraction of the rules, fine and time pen no?

I agree with your points - we were talking about two different issues,

Dan a huge loser with that decision! Was killing himself to limit the damage and get back on to eventually think he had made up time at the finish line...only then to find out he'd actually lost more time than what he probably would have without the drama!

going for a stage and going for the GC are two very different situations

I completely disagree!!! Its either a racing incident or its not!

Thats the root of the problem that favours the bigger teams no matter what the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There have been any number of incidents down the years without this nonsense. I'm disgusted

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

wasnt there an incident in recent years where a fan went to push a rider(in a positive helping fashion ie. up hill) in the final few km of a climb but he ended ip skipped a gear or un clipping or similar ... he lost contact with his fellow escapee(s) and didnt get back on ... no time back there either.

Giro 2014 on the Zoncalon. The 2nd on the road was pushed into the rear wheel of michael rodgers and lost touch with him.

There have been so many incident where riders crash and no timing were adjusted ...

In roubaux a few years back didnt Stybar crash in the last 20km while in a lead group ...

brianomc wrote: »
    Aru took a bottle off the car to use as a slingshot, dumped the bottle immediately without even taking a sip.
    I think he was also getting his bike "worked on" for a long time without actually doing anything to it.

Yea, it was completely OTT. Commissaries blew their whistle three times! Blatant towing / drafting / feigning mechanical etc. Then ARU's team mate was p'd off because he was getting dropped by the speed of the chase.

Countless incidents you could reference. Flecha was livid on Eurosport today regarding his crash in 2011 - him and Jonnie knocked down by a car at speed at the race wasnt even neutralised!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What if Mollema hadn't killed himself in the last km to take time back? What would they have done then? Why is Mollema punished for recovering quicker and riding hard to the finish.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

godtabh wrote: »
    How many bikes does Aru want?

I guess just one that fits him ...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

interesting precedent here now
    when Hoogerland and Flecha were hit by the press car they got no allowances from the race organisation

Bad things happen over 3 weeks thats what makes it interesting however in the last few years these events are being neutralised for
    various riders and teams but not all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

another thing that pisses me of watching on tv with spectators and male spectators in particular are Mankinis, they were funny about 10 years ago when one or 2 "crazy" fans worse them for a laugh but its beyond a joke now, i dont particularly want to see some fat pissed arse or group of arses running along side a rider or some twat in a mankini with a wig shoved in around his nuts

.......End of rant.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 conibog

Just to clarify for the people here who thinks that Froome should get a penality for running.
    A course commissaire said on the radio today that it is not illegal to complete some of the stage without a bike (ie running, taking a ride in a car is off course forbiden), however a rider must cross the finish line with a bike.

Advertisement