Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

MrMischief wrote:
    Not an easy call but certainly the wrong one....If this was Dimension Data today it wouldn't have even got a mention!

Froome got the decision because he was in the yellow jersey. While not ideal I'm for anything that encourages rider's particularly the big GC rider's to throw a bit of caution to the wind and go for it earlier in the race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

retalivity wrote: »
    Yup, for soem reason Quintana, valverde and tvg got the same time as aru et al, although they were initially 6 seconds behind them. Equally ridiculous and no explanation yet as to why

I think they were all together when the crash happened. Valverde and Quintana got stuck behind a crowd when Porte was fixing his bike and it looked as if some of the others got through it a bit quicker. Should've neutralised it and given the times from the moment of the crash as it cost everyone time.

The chasing group was closing, though so who knows what the gap would've been. Basque TV feed seemed to miss it at first and was focused on Movistar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Spectator video here showing the immediate response from Froome, it looks like the crash may also have damaged the rear wheel which is not spinning freely and dragging on the road. Probably why he dumped it a bit further up.
    https://twitter.com/11uisagusti/status/753661716815314944

Again interesting to see the number of vehicles that ended up between the Froome/Porte/Mollema group and the Yates/Quintana chase

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cunavalos wrote: »
    Spectator video here showing the immediate response from Froome, it looks like the crash may also have damaged the rear wheel which is not spinning freely and dragging on the road. Probably why he dumped it a bit further up.

A motorbike ran over it and broke/snapped a chainstay. There was a photo posted earlier in this thread. So the bike was of no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    How was Froome just able to get up and run? I cant make 2 threads of a stairs after a bike ride ... No Jello legs for froome after hours on the bike?!

"Corporal Dan - you got a pair of Magic Legs"

Will Christopher be known as Forest from now on?

"Run Forest Run"

• Advertisement

A motorbike ran over it and broke/snapped a chainstay. There was a photo posted earlier in this thread. So the bike was of no use.

I know, i posted the photo of the bike earlier but in response as to why he discarded the bike completely and ran which is where the question about further penalties / disqualification are arising from. He was literally dragging the bike up Ventoux

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Will the groupset and other parts be up on cycling adverts on boards.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

cunavalos wrote: »
    I know, i posted the photo of the bike earlier but in response as to why he discarded the bike completely and ran which is where the question about further penalties / disqualification are arising from. He was literally dragging the bike up Ventoux

My ask about penalties was due to the fact he kept running even without the bike ... He could have waited where he was or 20-30m up the road to prevent blocking the road... he went a few 100ms up the road. the rule posted earlier today clearly indicates there is a rule against not completing the entire race on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

MrMischief wrote: »
    If the stage wasn't shortened, Movistar/Sky wouldn't have attacked as early and the steeper inclines up to Mont Ventoux would have actually suited Dan so I don't agree! He looked like he was getting back in anyway prior to the crash.....

I don't think he was getting back at all. He held it at 30secs for a couple of km but once the attacks started he drifted back and finished over a minute behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

DominoDub wrote: »
    Well what a crazy afternoon ..spent it watching the stage in the extra coolness in what is the Rapha Cycling Club in London .

A very nice spot for food , coffee and beer with big screens with Eurosport live , a nice mix of hard core bikers and suits in for the buzz.

Had a great chat with an 72 year old cyclist who watches all the live races at Rapha CC . Two seconds before the uphill crash we agreed that Steel and Ti bikes where still the best .."That's why do don't have full carbon !" We said ..as the loyal english crowd clapped for Froome as he ran up the Mt. ..

So if your in London during a big stage race I recommend you drop in ....Leave the Credit card behind too much expensive nice Rapha gear.

Suits are never nice, especially London types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think the Race Comms took a common sense decision today, Froome was clearly blameless in the Moto / Crowd chaos of the ASO's making and given the following Moto also made shíte of his bike I think the adjusted times are fair. Looked like he would have taken more time on the other GC rivals, Molema and Porte aside had the race reached its natural conclusion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

secman wrote: »
    Would only buy it complete - wouldn't want his bike just for spares - it would have pride of place in the museum I'm contemplating.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

What a mess. Think the decision was all they could do really.

Looks like NQ didn't have it today, could be a good battle for 2nd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

How was Froome just able to get up and run? I cant make 2 threads of a stairs after a bike ride ... No Jello legs for froome after hours on the bike?!

Implying something?
    My ask about penalties was due to the fact he kept running even without the bike ... He could have waited where he was or 20-30m up the road to prevent blocking the road... he went a few 100ms up the road. the rule posted earlier today clearly indicates there is a rule against not completing the entire race on a bike.

The rule does not "clearly" state that, it states a ride must cross the line with a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If Yates or Martin had have been hit while they chased, would they have gotten the time they had at the accident? Of course not. There lies my issue with the decision. Wipe it all off or stick to the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    As Cosmo Catalano said on twitter. Either the race was fair for all, or not. All gaps stand, or stage neutralised. Can't have a jury inventing hypothetical finishing times.

Completely agree !!

The ASO put its hands on the scales today, & made a ruling that will mean that the results of the Tour won't be decided just by the riders on the road. If they wanted to do that, they should have at least picked a milestone on the route, like the last summit, or the base of the final climb, & not just an arbitrary place so they could manipulate the top 10.

We all know that if Froome & Sky hadn't been involved, it would have be TS for the riders.

If I were Froome, I'd learn how to take a wiz on the road, because there's a lot of disgruntled teams out there with this decision

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I can barely walk on level ground in cleats. Froome runs up a friggin' mountain in them...

Implying something?

No, not at all actually ... Just an observation, I know triatlethes are able to go straight to running just didnt expect a cyclist to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

No, not at all actually ... Just an observation, I know triatlethes are able to go straight to running just didnt expect a cyclist to do it.

I think it speaks volumes of how competitive Froome is (and probably a little bit tapped in the head) No diva antics of chucking his bike around and throwing a strop, just got on with getting to the line asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Jaysus its not that hard, if you had to do it you would. Its not olympic gymnastics.

• Advertisement

I think the official reasoning as to why elimination further penalties were not considered was due to interpretation of the UCI regulation.

The excerpt from the UCI 2016 rulebook is below
    8606962d1fb640ebb87f125893c2828e.png

It could be argued that the placement of the comma could lead to an interpretation along the lines of "Wilful deviation from the course and/or a wilful attempt to be placed......"

It could easily be argued that this was not a wilful attempt by Froome at covering the entire course by bicycle and the sanction does not apply

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Aside from the discussion of whether they would have changed the times for Quintana/Yates, I definitely think it was the right thing to do. Losing so much because of a fan/moto collision is not how I want the biggest race to be decided.
    I think they should have just called it at the time of the crash. You would have arguments but TV tracking coupled with the GPS and they would not have been far out. Everyone loses equally.
    He seen the crowds, knew the bike was going to take an age if it came at all. Both the comms and neutral service seem to tell him to keep moving, which is why I suspect they are not punishing him, you can see them wave him on a little further up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I hate when none cycling specific or the like report on these news stories. Always have wrong info. Like this. And earlier I seen somewhere that said bauke mollema won the stage.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think they should have just called it at the time of the crash. You would have arguments but TV tracking coupled with the GPS and they would not have been far out. Everyone loses equally.

He seen the crowds, knew the bike was going to take an age if it came at all. Both the comms and neutral service seem to tell him to keep moving, which is why I suspect they are not punishing him, you can see them wave him on a little further up the road.

Porte in the giro knew his team car was ages away and took the wheel off a orica rider to avoid waiting too long for his own crew ...

Not sure the neutral service waved him on. The lad on the motorbike actually points back to the service car for the bikes.

Look, damage is done imo, as stated earlier there were 2 option let result stand or neutralise the stage. They did neither and came out with a scenario where froome benefits.

Not that it matters because i expect him to do what wiggens did when people were saying froome would beat him if he had free reign, i reckon he'll murder that timetrail tomorrow putting more than the 56s he was off yellow directly after the stage into all his competitors and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

From that link on the service bikes:
    Mavic Rep wrote:
    “The service course mechanics have done testing with the different pedal ‘options’. The problem is the same no matter what you do,” said Mavic’s Chad Moore. “Wrong clipless pedals are the same problem as with flat pedals. Your feet move everywhere. Pedals with toe straps are impossible to put your foot into. So, there is no perfect solution. The best option is to get on a bike and keep moving until your car can arrive.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Trojan wrote: »
    From that link on the service bikes:

Have three bikes with Look, Shimano and Speed play and dump the useless Time/Mavic pedals that no teams use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

MrMischief wrote: »
    Just as well for Dan that the stage was shortened or else he could have lost 3/4 mins.

If the stage wasn't shortened, Movistar/Sky wouldn't have attacked as early and the steeper inclines up to Mont Ventoux would have actually suited Dan so I don't agree! He looked like he was getting back in anyway prior to the crash.....

The latter part of the climb is actually not as steep as the part they completed yesterday so it wouldn't have suited Dan any better.

However the attacks may not have come so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Any word on Mollema's supposed appeal or was that all hearsay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Missed opportunity for today's tabloids to use the headline:

"DO YOU REALLY VENTOUX HURT ME? Froome urges fans to consider riders' safety"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

secman wrote: »
    Probably someone offering them as a swap

Advertisement