Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Missed opportunity for today's tabloids to use the headline:

"DO YOU REALLY VENTOUX HURT ME? Froome urges fans to consider riders' safety"

Bravo... I tip my hat to you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Missed opportunity for today's tabloids to use the headline:

"DO YOU REALLY VENTOUX HURT ME? Froome urges fans to consider riders' safety"

Post of the day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Any word on Mollema's supposed appeal or was that all hearsay ?

He wasnt very happy on twitter last night anyway.

Asking why every one around him got 'time bonusses'

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    He wasnt very happy on twitter last night anyway.

Asking why every one around him got 'time bonusses'

Link? had a look at his Twitter a/c and couldn't see those comments.

Edit: oh I see, thought you were referring to Froome.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Quintana got a sticky neutral service bike wheel up the mountain

https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

brianomc wrote: »

Beaten again!

Defo should be thrown out of the race. Or maybe the top four should ride the stage again and ducke it out for actual times. No team mates. Just the top 4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

brianomc wrote: »

That has to be a ban or a severe time penalty

Did aru get any penalties for his carry on earlier in the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

It's safe to say that the commissaries wish yesterday never happened. So many decisions to make involving all the top riders.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CramCycle wrote: »
    That has to be a ban or a severe time penalty

Clearly knew what he was doing. Best way to clear a crowd (most of the time) is to follow the moto. Or get a tow from it.

I was only half joking about a ban earlier but I think after his time was reset this needs to be looked at but it wont. At this stage just leave it as is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there a danger the TDF will be cancelled because of what happened last night in Nice??

fryup wrote: »
    is there a danger the TDF will be cancelled because of what happened last night in Nice??

The TT is going ahead anyway

fryup wrote: »

No.

There are cyclists racing in the time trial as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

So was Dan the only one to lose out yesterday?

yates lost time too

Boscoirl wrote: »
    So was Dan the only one to lose out yesterday?

Cycling was the biggest loser yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Have three bikes with Look, Shimano and Speed play and dump the useless Time/Mavic pedals that no teams use?

Even keep a set of shimanos and a pedal spanner on the back seat? It would take about a minute to swap pedals.

Or a few pairs of trainers so the toe straps could be used!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Actually for me the bigger thing from yday's stage was Froome's engendering of a slowdown to let his teammates get back in. The other stuff was crazy but none of the cyclists' fault - just a mad thing that happened. I didn't catch a whole lot of the action so can someone tell me if Landa was part of the accident or had he been dropped earlier before tehn getting back in because of the slowdown cos of Froome's pee break. That Landa was subsequently driving things up Ventoux makes this bigger again but even if he'd been in teh crash, that's a racing incident & the racing was fully on.

Dan Martin obviously wasn't on a good day but still he'd have hit that climb over a minute ahead of people who got to join up with teh main bunch because of Froome's imo bullying tactic. Though this is in no sense a parochial thing for me, I'm just using Dan as an example for how the race got distorted.

pelevin wrote: »
    Actually for me the bigger thing from yday's stage was Froome's engendering of a slowdown to let his teammates get back in. The other stuff was crazy but none of the cyclists' fault - just a mad thing that happened. I find that very wrong. I didn't catch a whole lot of the action so can someone tell me if Landa was part of the accident or had he been dropped earlier before tehn getting back in because of the slowdown cos of Froome's pee break. That Landa was subsequently driving things up Ventoux makes this bigger again but even if he'd been in teh crash, that's a racing incident & the racing was fully on.

I've mixed feelings on that. Clearly it was a stroke and unsporting but (as far as I know) he didnt break any rules. He used the yellow jersey and the 'respect' it gets to take a comfort break that allowed his team mates to catch up.

This should be seen totally separate to what happened later.

All I can say is that Froome has the mindset of a champion. He didnt panic in either situation which I think, and regardless of what others think, puts him in a positive light for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

pelevin wrote: »
    Actually for me the bigger thing from yday's stage was Froome's engendering of a slowdown to let his teammates get back in. The other stuff was crazy but none of the cyclists' fault - just a mad thing that happened. I didn't catch a whole lot of the action so can someone tell me if Landa was part of the accident or had he been dropped earlier before tehn getting back in because of the slowdown cos of Froome's pee break. That Landa was subsequently driving things up Ventoux makes this bigger again but even if he'd been in teh crash, that's a racing incident & the racing was fully on.

Dan Martin obviously wasn't on a good day but still he'd have hit that climb over a minute ahead of people who got to join up with teh main bunch because of Froome's imo bullying tactic. Though this is in no sense a parochial thing for me, I'm just using Dan as an example for how the race got distorted.

I didn't see it but bullying sounds like a fierce strong word. At some point every other team needs to stand up for themselves and draw a line, or else they can only blame themselves.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    I've mixed feelings on that. Clearly it was a stroke and unsporting but (as far as I know) he didnt break any rules. He used the yellow jersey and the 'respect' it gets to take a comfort break that allowed his team mates to catch up.

This should be seen totally separate to what happened later.

All I can say is that Froome has the mindset of a champion. He didnt panic in either situation which I think, and regardless of what others think, puts him in a positive light for me.

Armstrong didn't break any rules when preventing Simeoni from being in a break. It doesn't change things to me ethically - it was a vindictive abuse of power. In this case it wasn't vindictive but unethical in a racing sense. I find it bizarre how this could put Froome in a positive light for you. I've been praising Froome for how he's been racing but this to me was as said wilfully distorting the race & way out of order to force a slowdown. And if Landa had been dropped & got back in becuase of Froome's pee & then went on to drive things up Ventoux - that's so blatantly a distorting of the spirit of racing.

I didn't see it but bullying sounds like a fierce strong word. At some point every other team needs to stand up for themselves and draw a line, or else they can only blame themselves.

I think bullying seems a very accurate & fair description. If the peloton had continued as tehy had been, iamgine the subsequent abuse they'd have got for their 'unsportsmanlike' behaviou. It would have been a tidal wave of criticism.
    Just to ask again, does anyone know where Landa had been at this point in the race? Did the slowdown let him back in having been dropped earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I think this whole thing is great for cycling. People are actually interested now. They should conspire to have one massive f*kk up every year.

He didnt panic in either situation

So you're saying you didn't see the last 10 minutes of the race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He didn't panic? I am pretty sure running up the road was 100% panic.

mloc123 wrote: »
    He didn't panic? I am pretty sure running up the road was 100% panic.

But at least he didn't take his clothes off.

I think running up the road helped him get a bike quicker. The bike was useless but he didn't know that.

I clearly said that what he did after the first crash was a stroke

I think running up the road helped him get a bike quicker. The bike was useless but he didn't know that.

I clearly said that what he did after the first crash was a stroke

How does running away from the car with your bike get you a bike quicker?

• Advertisement

How does running away from the car with your bike get you a bike quicker?

The car was some time away. Neutral service was closer but unable to get to him with the fans. Froome moved to a less crowded place

Advertisement