Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This is clearly divisive. Time to concentrate on todays stage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

How does running away from the car with your bike get you a bike quicker?

It doesn't, but you might as well be further up the road when you get it. Think of it as the only thing that matters is when the bike crosses the finish line - the more time the bike spends on top of the car, the quicker it'll cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Could Quintana be docked time on the same day as Froome is gifted it?

https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

He had radioed the team car. Either run towards it or get the mechanic to run with the bike towards him. When you panic you run away and ask a lad carrying tyres for a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

pelevin wrote: »
    I didn't catch a whole lot of the action so can someone tell me if Landa was part of the accident or had he been dropped earlier before tehn getting back in because of the slowdown cos of Froome's pee break. That Landa was subsequently driving things up Ventoux makes this bigger again but even if he'd been in teh crash, that's a racing incident & the racing was fully on.
    And if Landa had been dropped & got back in becuase of Froome's pee & then went on to drive things up Ventoux - that's so blatantly a distorting of the spirit of racing.
    Just to ask again, does anyone know where Landa had been at this point in the race? Did the slowdown let him back in having been dropped earlier?

Regarding Landa, my understanding of the events is that Landa was in the yellow jersey group before the crash.
    When Gerrans hits the deck, so does Rowe and Stanndard. I don't think Landa falls.
    Shortly after, Froome stops for a pee. Kiriyenka helps pace Froome back into the Quintana et al. group. There are other Sky riders with Kiriyenka and Froome, but I'm not sure where Landa is at this particular moment in time.
    When they start climbing the Ventoux, Landa is leading the group. Landa gets dropped when Quintana attacks; Poels and Henao are the only Sky domestiques left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When you panic you run away and ask a lad carrying tyres for a bike.

Or maybe, Froome was asking the MAVIC moto mechanic, where the MAVIC neutral service car was?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Or maybe, Froome was asking the MAVIC moto mechanic, where the MAVIC neutral service car was?

You mean the big yellow car that he was running away from when he was panicking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think he panicked, like many he could have thrown his bike down, thrown his arms in the air and stropped. His legs must have been like lead running in cleats up a hill at that point, don't think too many cyclists do brick sessions to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I don't buy the Eurosport line that 'He ran up the road to let the car through the crowds with a bike'.

He was running at one point with the Mavic car chasing after him, stopped.. started to go back to it, changed his mind again and kept going up the hill. I certainly don't think his reaction was cool, calm and collected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

buffalo wrote: »
    Could Quintana be docked time on the same day as Froome is gifted it?

Interesting. Quintana et al where all basically brought to a standstill at the scene of the crash too. I imagine it was initially grabbing onto something so not to unclip, but shouldve let go as soon as Moto started moving again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    If Yates or Martin had have been hit while they chased, would they have gotten the time they had at the accident? Of course not. There lies my issue with the decision. Wipe it all off or stick to the result.

That sums up my feeling on the whole debacle....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think he panicked, like many he could have thrown his bike down, thrown his arms in the air and stropped.

Like Kittel :D

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

The more I look at the footage from the stage and the more I think about the subsequent action, the more I'm convinced that a massive injustice has been done to the other riders in the race (including Porte).

The difference between Porte/Mollema and Froome is down to Froome's chainstay breaking. The others got back up and continued. Mollema, who was caught up in the crash, is rightly outraged. He never complained about the crash or the circumstances around it. Its like any other crash. If you're caught up in it, you try and get back up and continue. If you damage your bike and are slower to get back up, no matter how hard-done-by you feel, its tough.

Trying to draw parallels between this and the Adam Yates in incident is weak. The Yates incident affected everybody (though clearly Yates more than others). Yesterday's incident involved a handful of riders, but only one was affected adversely. And the subsequent decision made by the UCI (yes, the UCI) was made for him, and him alone (even though it marginally benefits Porte too).

Its hard not to think some favouritism was shown here.

To be honest, the whole thing stinks.

IMO, the yellow jersey, from this point on, as long as it stays on the shoulders of Froome, is tainted. He should not be wearing it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

1bryan wrote: »
    The more I look at the footage from the stage and the more I think about the subsequent action, the more I'm convinced that a massive injustice has been done to the other riders in the race (including Porte).

Mollema rightly asked - if it had been his bike that was broken, and he was delayed, would he have been given the same time as Froome? Would 5th overall been as favourably treated as the yellow jersey?

Somehow I don't think so.

buffalo wrote: »
    Mollema rightly asked - if it had been his bike that was broken, and he was delayed, would he have been given the same time as Froome? Would 5th overall been as favourably treated as the yellow jersey?

Somehow I don't think so.

tend to agree

This incident brought to mind the article the Secret Pro wrote this week. Although he didn't state it explicitly, there does seem to be a very 'them and us' attitude in the peloton between native english-speaking and non-native english speaking riders. I'd hate to think that extended to adminstrative levels too.

You mean the big yellow car that he was running away from when he was panicking?

Yes, The MAVIC car. And when it was pointed out out to him by the moto mechanic, Froome stopped running, waited for the car and got a bike from the big yellow car.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

The way people on this thread are going on it's the biggest injustice in sporting history! I've been following the news and the only rider to raise his eyebrows publicly is Mollema. Yates who would have had the honor of wearing Yellow was more than happy with the decision and the Man "Antonio Flecha" praised the ASO for its decision. Case closed for me.

topcat77 wrote: »
    The way people on this thread are going on it's the biggest injustice in sporting history! I've been following the news and the only rider to raise his eyebrows publicly is Mollema. Yates who would have had the honor of wearing Yellow was more than happy with the decision and the Man "Antonio Flecha" praised the ASO for its decision. Case closed for me.

former Sky rider, Juan Antonio Flecha praises the ASO for not penalising his 2 former teammates.

Riiiiiiiight

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

So where's the all the indignation from the press, teams and riders?

Well protests were made by the Trek and (I think) BMC teams. But it was found they had no grounds for protest, according to the 'rules'.

As for the media, I only check the English dominated, English speaking media. I would have been more surprised if any of them decided to come out against Froome.

As for riders. I could only recall a few off the top of my head but my twitter feed was littered with these yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BaukeMollema/status/753639575734616064
    https://twitter.com/tom_dumoulin/status/753664299449643008
    https://twitter.com/MRasmussen1974/status/753921705635094528
    https://twitter.com/iamtedking/status/753648154533203968

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    Well protests were made by the Trek and (I think) BMC teams. But it was found they had no grounds for protest, according to the 'rules'.

As for the media, I only check the English dominated, English speaking media. I would have been more surprised if any of them decided to come out against Froome.

As for riders. I could only recall a few off the top of my head but my twitter feed was littered with these yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BaukeMollema/status/753639575734616064
    https://twitter.com/tom_dumoulin/status/753664299449643008
    https://twitter.com/MRasmussen1974/status/753921705635094528
    https://twitter.com/iamtedking/status/753648154533203968

https://twitter.com/veloropa/status/753931103690428416

Michael Rasmussen talking about equal rules is a bit rich!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Michael Rasmussen talking about equal rules is a bit rich!
    His past is as dirty as can be but I have huge respect for his commentary on the current state of cycling.

And lets be honest, he has insight that few others have, so he would know.

https://twitter.com/Jonet_H/status/753915023156711425

Sky rider getting a sneaky feed inside the last few kms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not for the first time, wasn't Froome given a feed by Porte I think who collected it from the car 3 or 4 years ago and was subsequently penalised for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not for the first time, wasn't Froome given a feed by Porte I think who collected it from the car 3 or 4 years ago and was subsequently penalised for it.

Yea they both got penalised that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

godtabh wrote: »
    This is clearly divisive. Time to concentrate on todays stage

No it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Think it was landa and he received a 50CHF fine immediately after the stage when the results were amended following the meeting of the race jury
    CnWNJ7mWgAAY5av.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

cunavalos wrote: »
    Think it was landa and he received a 50CHF fine immediately after the stage

daft, unless it's a time penalty the won't care in the slightest.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    No it isn't!

Yes it is!

Advertisement