Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Regarding Landa, my understanding of the events is that Landa was in the yellow jersey group before the crash.
    When Gerrans hits the deck, so does Rowe and Stanndard. I don't think Landa falls.
    Shortly after, Froome stops for a pee. Kiriyenka helps pace Froome back into the Quintana et al. group. There are other Sky riders with Kiriyenka and Froome, but I'm not sure where Landa is at this particular moment in time.
    When they start climbing the Ventoux, Landa is leading the group. Landa gets dropped when Quintana attacks; Poels and Henao are the only Sky domestiques left.

Thanks. Did a bit of searching but can't find any reliable info but looked at Eurosport's video of the stage & after the slow-down where what they were calling the Barguil group gets back in a couple of Sky riders are there, one of whom does look like Landa but I can't be sure. Comment 66' on this thread here was "Nieve and Landa allowed back, arguably the two best climbing doms to have."

Regardless though of who got back in it was all wrong imo. Barguil and others are over a minute behind at that point, then they all re-join up because Sky domestiques are in a crash?! Contador won the Giro last year prettyt much without any team support at all in the mountains. Froome otoh enforces a slowdown because, bad luck or/and the way the racing is going, things aren't going according to the Sky plan for the stage. Just all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

pelevin wrote: »
    Thanks. Did a bit of searching but can't find any reliable info but looked at Eurosport's video of the stage & after the slow-down where what they were calling the Barguil group gets back in a couple of Sky riders are there, one of whom does look like Landa but I can't be sure. Comment 66' on this thread here was "Nieve and Landa allowed back, arguably the two best climbing doms to have."

Regardless though of who got back in it was all wrong imo. Barguil and others are over a minute behind at that point, then they all re-join up because Sky domestiques are in a crash?! Contador won the Giro last year prettyt much without any team support at all in the mountains. Froome otoh enforces a slowdown because, bad luck or/and the way the racing is going, things aren't going according to the Sky plan for the stage. Just all wrong.

Would Movistars team car have been aware of the crash and aware of the 'pee' stop. Assuming they'd have been aware of both why would they not have radioed instructions for Movistar to attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

G1032 wrote: »
    Would Movistars team car have been aware of the crash and aware of the 'pee' stop. Assuming they'd have been aware of both why would they not have radioed instructions for Movistar to attack?

Attacking would be surprising & perhaps wrong though it is what Astana did when Contador had trouble in the Giro last year. Froome though is the one who volunteered himself to drop out of the lead peloton at a point of aggression in the race where riders if racing simply do not stop for pee breaks, so I don't actually see that there would be much ethically wrong with attacking the leader of the race if you think about it since he had voluntarily placed himself in that position of weakness which rivals if so minded can now punish. It would be a lesson well learnt & deserved. As a precedent of what power the leader or main players of a race are allowed, it sets up all kinds of passive-aggressive sly methods to the detriment of racing.

However I was thinking more the issue here is more that the racing was on, there were important race splits, etc . . . & then the racing stopped! - to the obvious gain & detriment of many riders involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pantanifan84

Just wondering to myself if TDF will feature ventoux next year due to it being tommy simpsons 50th aniversery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

He had radioed the team car. Either run towards it or get the mechanic to run with the bike towards him. When you panic you run away and ask a lad carrying tyres for a bike.

Rob Cummins puts it much better, than I ever could

http://www.stickybottle.com/blogs/opinion-what-froome-running-said-about-him-and-the-tour/

• Advertisement
Advertisement