Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

The least elegant looking Kenyan running I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Froome and porte crashed into one of the motor bikes. Froomes bike was damaged and he ended up running along the road. Lost yellow. Insane pictures on the telly!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saw it. A moto was forced to stop by the crowds. Porte went into it and froome into him. His bike was totalled. Can't imagine they've a rule for it.

Don't like seeing a crash, but Sky are picking and choosing to their advantage when to slow down for crashed riders by the looks of it earlier too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Right I have to call b****x to this. Yeats in yellow with Quintana who was beaten on this mountain up to third. This is not right. Yes cycling crashes happen and what can you do but this was down to the fans closing in and not the riders fault. Not sure what ASO can do here but it just sits stale with me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thud wrote: »
    Porte hit moto, Froome hit Porte

not Froomes fault, there will be war!
    Neutral service Mavic bike didn't work the one time its needed !

From what I can remeber they are canyon bikes with mechanical group sets I think. Froome probably got caught out with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

One thing about the neutral bikes that I wondered... pedals. Do all riders just use the same system?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

RobertKK wrote: »
    Will Froome be penalised for running some of the way?
    should be, its not a duathlon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I can barely walk in my cleats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

He might be an elegant swimmer, his pretty ungainly at the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Moving on the road for an extended period without the bike is potential DQ? I mean Porte stopped completely whereas Froome went for a jog. It's a massive sh*tstorm for the organisers. I'll be gutted for Mollema if they're all given the same time, he was immense today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well.... before all that madness, Froome didn't get away to the extent that many thought he would. Yes, he dropped Quintana but Porte and Mollema stayed with him. The gap to Quintana had not grown out that much and it looked like they were coming back a bit before the incident.

They may just neutralise the whole climb and take the GC from the 10km mark given the unprecedented mature of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

They're thinking on it. results only provisional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Thud

mloc123 wrote: »
    One thing about the neutral bikes that I wondered... pedals. Do all riders just use the same system?

they have one of each of the most common pedals
    supposedly much heavier than team bikes too

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/05/tdf2015-tech-whats-on-those-mavic-neutral-support-bikes/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dcully wrote: »
    I can barely walk in my cleats

Yup I'd have slipped and smashed my face running uphill in cleats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

kenmc wrote: »
    should be, its not a duathlon
    No he shouldn't. What was he supposed to do just stand there beside the crashed motorbike and wait for his team car to come along and cause more chaos?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I'm pretty sure there the rule is you can't run down the mountain like back to a teammate but you can walk up. Seen/heard it a year or two back. Correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »
    Saw it. A moto was forced to stop by the crowds. Porte went into it and froome into him. His bike was totalled. Can't imagine they've a rule for it.

Don't like seeing a crash, but Sky are picking and choosing to their advantage when to slow down for crashed riders by the looks of it earlier too.

This the special edition Xlite F8? totalled after a crash, while going upHill??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Burial. wrote: »
    Moving on the road for an extended period without the bike is potential DQ? I mean Porte stopped completely whereas Froome went for a jog. It's a massive sh*tstorm for the organisers. I'll be gutted for Mollema if they're all given the same time, he was immense today.

there,ll be a bigger **** storm and rightly so if froome gets DSQd for that. too many twats trying to be in the riders faces causing chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Only proper solution is to annul the stage. GC stays the same as start of the day, it's been done in the Giro before. You can't penalise the riders for something that is the organisers fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Something (crowds?) caused the motorbike to stop suddenly. Mollema went straight into the back of it & Froome followed. Froome's bike was broken so he starting running up the mountain after dumping his bike. Eventually he got a neutral bike but appeared to have issues & then later a Sky bike.

Most sensible outcome would be to give that group the same time at the crash point.

I guess they didn't have time to erect barriers that close to finish due to the course change. Really bad crowd behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Agree with Juan Antonio Flecha that the result shouldn't be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

07Lapierre wrote: »

Well all we know is that the bike was in an un-ride-able condition.
    Otherwise he would have jumped back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

07Lapierre wrote: »

Typical, I've just ordered one of those bikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I cringe every time I see that many people so close to the race was bound to happen sooner or later. No idea what caused the bike filming to slowdown /stop and port run straight into it had to have been breaking to avoid a spectator surely.
    Hopefully the bike crushed the moron.

Hopefully the bike crushed the moron.

I don't think thats fair to say, there were far too many people there too close to the race. It's the organisers fault from the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That was an absolutely unbelievable performance from Froome after his efforts in the break yesterday. If this were another era, we'd be crying foul, but I think it's a testament to marginal gains and what scientific training has done for cycling in the modern era.

People can now look at these performances and not feel embarrassed. Just listen to Carlton, absolutely ecstatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No he shouldn't. What was he supposed to do just stand there beside the crashed motorbike and wait for his team car to come along and cause more chaos?

don't see why he couldn't have taken his bike with him instead of littering the place. his team car had to stop to collect it anyway, causing chaos anyway. then he would have completed the distance with his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Carry the bike when running, he was running with no bike.
    It is a bike race, run with the broken bike...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

If its not drugs its this ****.
    The whole thing is a bit of a joke one way or the other every year it seems.

And the vast majority of the 'fans' on the roadside on these climbs are just pissed up idiots who should be taken out of the gene pool altogether.

Advertisement