Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

RobertKK wrote: »
    Agree with Juan Antonio Flecha that the result shouldn't be changed.
    Yeah it's just one of those things. Too many incidents in the past where the results stood so you can't go changing them now. ASO will take alot of flak for this mess though. Reducing the length of the stage meant all the loonies were packed in on the mountain. The place looked mobbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

lissard wrote: »
    Only proper solution is to annul the stage. GC stays the same as start of the day, it's been done in the Giro before. You can't penalise the riders for something that is the organisers fault.

In that case maybe the day Porte lost time over a puncture should be annulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don't think thats fair to say, there were far too many people there too close to the race. It's the organisers fault from the looks of it.

I blame whoever/whatever blocked the motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    That was an absolutely unbelievable performance from Froome after his efforts in the break yesterday. If this were another era, we'd be crying foul, but I think it's a testament to marginal gains and what scientific training has done for cycling in the modern era.

People can now look at these performances and not feel embarrassed. Just listen to Carlton, absolutely ecstatic!

This is sarcasm, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Why would he have so much trouble on the neutral service bike? He really seemed all over the place on it, could barely get it moving. I'd have thought it would have been kept in good working order. I get that it wouldn't be set up ideally for him,but it was like night and day between the neutral service and his own bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Surely this is down to them changing the finish point at such a late notice, meaning the number of people packed into a smaller area was hugely increased.
    Should have sucked it up and had them cycle to the top, not as if they then had to descend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Looking at the replay I don't think Froome was able to clip in on the Mavic neutral bike? His feet look to be at an odd angle to the pedals and he had no power, suggesting he wasn't able to pull up on the pedals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    This the special edition Xlite F8? totalled after a crash, while going upHill??

The one with a tiny weight limit. Must be fairly brittle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

terrydel wrote: »
    Should have sucked it up and had them cycle to the top, not as if they then had to descend.

Are you for real?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Juan Antonia Flecha thinks time should stand as they havnt made compromises in past (2011?) For similar incidents. Eurosport host looked horrified.

Someone else stated that thered normally be barriers so close to finish on Ventoux, but that wasn't to be the finish as we know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kenmc wrote: »
    don't see why he couldn't have taken his bike with him instead of littering the place. his team car had to stop to collect it anyway, causing chaos anyway. then he would have completed the distance with his bike.

He did for a while and then realized how stupid that was

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

godtabh wrote: »
    The one with a tiny weight limit. Must be fairly brittle

Well to be fair... we haven't seen the bike..."Totalled" could be an exaggeration.

joey100 wrote: »
    Why would he have so much trouble on the neutral service bike? He really seemed all over the place on it, could barely get it moving. I'd have thought it would have been kept in good working order. I get that it wouldn't be set up ideally for him,but it was like night and day between the neutral service and his own bike.

Couldn't find the clutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Froome in 6th, Martin in 9th. Yates in 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

kenmc wrote: »
    don't see why he couldn't have taken his bike with him instead of littering the place. his team car had to stop to collect it anyway, causing chaos anyway. then he would have completed the distance with his bike.
    Yeah your right. Brailsford would have pulled the car over to collect the smashed carbon fibre pinarello that was a write off anyway and left Froome standing at the side of the road holding his lad.

Froome ran ahead of the chaos and then hoped that the neutral service car could get up to him (or possibly that there would be barriers up ahead as the stage was nearly over). You think he should be punished for that or for not bringing his broken bike with him?? Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Could be the size? Too big a frame, I believe Froome is a 56cm but if it was a 58/60cm he could have had issues. Or the gearing on the climb? Or clips?

Are you for real?

Why not? If a sportive can manage it so can these guys.

Quintana 43sec ahead of Froome now based on those results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

uphillonly wrote: »
    I guess they didn't have time to erect barriers that close to finish due to the course change. Really bad crowd behaviour.

That was crazy. if it hadnt been for the motorbike moving in front the crowd would have completely closed in. A complete mess.

Because the organisers of the sportive were clowns.

That and you've to consider the crowds at the top, more rubbish, flying debris etc etc. It might have been even more carnage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If they change the rules for Froome then they must take a look at the 'etiquette' rules that allowed Froome to take a piss break and allow the second group with his other teammates to get back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Winds were too strong for cycling, the authorities do even close off the mountain to cars at times.

A gust of wind on the exposed part could have been a real danger to the cyclists, far more so than what happened already today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yeah your right. Brailsford would have pulled the car over to collect the smashed carbon fibre pinarello that was a write off anyway and left Froome standing at the side of the road holding his lad.

Froome ran ahead of the chaos and then hoped that the neutral service car could get up to him (or possibly that there would be barriers up ahead as the stage was nearly over). You think he should be punished for that or for not bringing his broken bike with him?? Nonsense.
    not at all. it's a bike race, where do you draw the line at how many other means of transport you can take? could you not decide to paraglide off a descent to save time? how about maybe you could canoe down a fast moving river? you should be in possession of a bike at all times in a bike race, else its not a bike race, regardless of the circumstances.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    If they change the rules for Froome then they must take a look at the 'etiquette' rules that allowed Froome to take a piss break and allow the second group with his other teammates to get back on.

there is no 'etiquette' rules

Weepsie wrote: »
    Because the organisers of the sportive were clowns.

That and you've to consider the crowds at the top, more rubbish, flying debris etc etc. It might have been even more carnage

Move the crowds down and let the cyclists go up. ASO is a professional organisation and should be able to minimise risk down to an acceptable level.

Move the crowds down and let the cyclists go up. ASO is a professional organisation and should be able to minimise risk down to an acceptable level.

Then you just have the same problem with larger crowds further down

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

godtabh wrote:
    He did for a while and then realized how stupid that was

Should have taken the shoes off and ran the last km with the bike, a la Chris Mintern a couple of years ago!
    Boo Peep Tri

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

Just looking at it again there I think it was possibly the gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Weepsie wrote: »
    Juan Antonia Flecha thinks time should stand as they havnt made compromises in past (2011?) For similar incidents. Eurosport host looked horrified.

was the 2011 incident not the 1 where him and another rider were sent into a barbed wire fence and badly injured

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Cleats.

Advertisement