Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Just looking at it again there I think it was possibly the gearing.

He wasn't clipped in properly. He couldn't pull up on the pedals, that's why he looks like he's going backwards. Just before he dumped the neutral bike his left foot slipped off the pedal completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

kenmc wrote: »
    not at all. it's a bike race, where do you draw the line at how many other means of transport you can take? could you not decide to paraglide off a descent to save time? how about maybe you could canoe down a fast moving river? you should be in possession of a bike at all times in a bike race, else its not a bike race, regardless of the circumstances.

Most stupid comment of the day goes to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

godtabh wrote: »
    there is no 'etiquette' rules

Your right. I mean in the sense of the 'spirit of racing'. If his rivals are OK with any neutralisation that keeps Froome in yellow then there must be a discussion on what happened earlier. Valverde was clearly not impressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

neris wrote: »
    was the 2011 incident not the 1 where him and another rider were sent into a barbed wire fence and badly injured

Yeah. Hoogerland or something they were in the hunt for the stage win and were clipped by a car. Nothing was neutralised for their benefit he said, unless I misheard.

Just looked it up too. The other guy had to wait years before getting the insurance claim paid out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Most stupid comment of the day goes to...

:confused: He's right though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Your right. I mean in the sense of the 'spirit of racing'. If his rivals are OK with any neutralisation that keeps Froome in yellow then there must be a discussion on what happened earlier. Valverde was clearly not impressed.

It was a stroke what froome did to stop but dont confuse that with what happened as a result of a moto stopping because of crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

CnVcsVVWAAA8d5I.jpg

According to SBS Froome's bike was also stolen after he left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This is the best one I've seen so far

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/753612158215266304

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Looking at the full replay, it appears that the Quintana group were only 20 seconds or so behind when they happened upon the crash.

Still think they neutralise the whole climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Henao cycled past Froome (looked back) when he was struggling on that neutral bike, surely he should have given him his bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Back in my day, it'd be off to the blacksmith to sort out your own bike! These fellows need to toughen up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

neris wrote: »
    was the 2011 incident not the 1 where him and another rider were sent into a barbed wire fence and badly injured

Yeah that was not neutalised, and the car driver should have seen that tree/pole that he tried to avoid far sooner and instead caused that horrible crash.
    Anyone arguing over the motorcycle and neutalising the race would be wrong as the precedence is not to neutalise, and secretly I think the TDF will be happy to have the GC the way it is now which makes the Tour look more competitive given precedence to not neutalise at site of accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sarz91 wrote: »
    CnVcsVVWAAA8d5I.jpg

According to SBS Froome's bike was also stolen after he left it.
    ha, if only he'd not just dumped it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Burial. wrote: »

+1 If Froome had crossed the finish line on foot and without a bike, he would/should have been penalised/disqualified. The rider must have a bike...they can push the bike across the line. But he didn't cross the line so i thin Disqualification would be extreme. A penalty of some kind? well has he not already been penalised? (hes no longer in yellow)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Just scene a replay of froome getting the neutral service bike. While he was stopped it showed the police or whatever they are that are suposed to control crowds. They were doing fk all. They were just standing there for the most part maybe looking like they were pussing crowds back but not. Then all the photographers run and stand in the middle of the road. Only one police fella actually was forcefully clearing crowds and photographers. It really is just a joke. And I think that word describes the stage today... A joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Ridiculous that froome got to stop the race for a slash and to collect his pals. Karma, let the results stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

that stage was priceless

An angry Froome makes for hilarious racing anyway. Let the results stand. It'd be super harsh on TGBM anyway. It appeared Porte was on the attack and about to make a gap too. That boy's luck has always been awful.

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »

Try running in a bike race and you'll come last, try whiping out a canoe or a hang glider and you'll be thrown out for not following the route. let alone all the time you'll lose trying get a hang glider set up ffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Froome was being waved on by the neutral service and the Comms were passing by, I imagine he was told to keep moving so as not to compile any issues.

Regardless, I think times should stand, hard luck and all but it would not be the first time someone has been screwed over in the TdF. He crossed the line on a bike so no DQ and the punishment has already been doled out time wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As ridiculous as it is, the times need to stand. If it had been anyone else but the yellow jersey they would stand.

The ASO need to get their act together and work with the police. Look at what the Garda Civilia do in the Vuelta. They actively push the crowd back.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Froome just tweeted that he's still in yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It'll be interesting to see what rule the invent to keep Froome in yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe because he just hasn't changed yet.

Nonsense if he's still there in the overall standings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This will not be popular.

Wrong decision.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    +1 If Froome had crossed the finish line on foot and without a bike, he would/should have been penalised/disqualified. The rider must have a bike...they can push the bike across the line. But he didn't cross the line so i thin Disqualification would be extreme. A penalty of some kind? well has he not already been penalised? (hes no longer in yellow)

he was penalized for running he lost a heap of time FFS!!!! Running is slower that cycling no one is going to do it out of choice, can you not understand that? How can you be so dense

Advertisement