Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 12: Montpellier-Mt.Ventoux 184KM **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thud wrote: »
    Henao cycled past Froome (looked back) when he was struggling on that neutral bike, surely he should have given him his bike

Thought that too, the bike was way too small for him and he could see Froome was having serious trouble clipping in, would have thought the teamly thing to do would have been to donate his bike to him?

That's unbelievably sh1t if someone stole his bike.
    Burial. wrote: »
    Froome just tweeted that he's still in yellow

Interesting. Wonder what rules allow that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

joey100 wrote: »
    Why would he have so much trouble on the neutral service bike? He really seemed all over the place on it, could barely get it moving. I'd have thought it would have been kept in good working order. I get that it wouldn't be set up ideally for him,but it was like night and day between the neutral service and his own bike.

I thought the same but his shoes seem to be slipping in the pedals. He uses dura ace pedals so i presume the bike had something else.

https://youtu.be/ZVveYMkc420?t=1m57s

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

he was penalized for running he lost a heap of time FFS!!!! Running is slower that cycling no one is going to do it out of choice can you not understand that. How can you be so dense

He just grew his advantage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Froome
    Yates 47"
    Mollema 56"
    Quintana 1' 01''
    Bardet 1'15

They are taking the times from 1km away apparently. Sad day for cycling, to see spectators and bikes create so much havoc as well as favouritism being given to some teams. Gutted for the likes of Mollema. Contador and the group he was in in '11 didn't get the same treatment when they were taken out

he was penalized for running he lost a heap of time FFS!!!! Running is slower that cycling no one is going to do it out of choice, can you not understand that? How can you be so dense

Mod Note: Attack the post not the poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah. Hoogerland or something they were in the hunt for the stage win and were clipped by a car. Nothing was neutralised for their benefit he said, unless I misheard.

Just looked it up too. The other guy had to wait years before getting the insurance claim paid out

i think felcha is still waiting for his pay out, he was talking about that incident last year and was still fuming over it and the other lad getting paid out

Froome is going to be less popular after this, he will be seen to have benefited by not allowing the final result to stand.

Well that's shyte

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So he has still gained an advantage? Between the slowing down earlier for Sky Riders (Nobody waited for Aru or Gerrans today, Contador before, or Maijka yesterday) and taking this option I'm not sure what I'd prefer. Especially if when the incident happend the chasing cyclists had closed some of that gap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Farcical sport just became more farcical after that stage antics and then the decision to keep Froome in yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How in the name of Jaysus did they come up with that?????

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So they arbitrarily picked some random spot further down the road from where the incident happened and said this is now the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The incident was joke shop. The decision a bottle job. Everything about this sucks .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Froome back in the lead.

Updated leader board.

391760.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just watched the last few km on +1. WTF!

Will read the last few pages to get some sort of sence of whats happening. Although just did see Richie Port crash into the back of a camera bike.

If that's verified it's an absolute joke. Completely wrong. Neutralise the whole climb or nothing to give Froome a time gap is a joke.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

If Froome gets away without any penalty for running then the Tour is hitting a new low tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can't quite understand why Froome wasn't able to ride the neutral service bike. Would be interesting to see in more detail.

I mean, if Jens can do it, surely the greatest cyclist in the world can do it.

Pedal/Cleat problem maybe????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

joey100 wrote: »
    Why would he have so much trouble on the neutral service bike? He really seemed all over the place on it, could barely get it moving. I'd have thought it would have been kept in good working order. I get that it wouldn't be set up ideally for him,but it was like night and day between the neutral service and his own bike.

GCN just said that at the Giro the lead Mavic neutral car had a bike setup with the exact Red Jersey setup. But also Froome uses speedplay and the other bikes could be setup with Look or Shimano?

When asked 'why do you watch cycling?'

I will say for the scenery...

Today when you think things couldn't become worse or more farcical they manage to make it that.

• Advertisement

GCN just said that at the Giro the lead Mavic neutral car had a bike setup with the exact Red Jersey setup. But also Froome uses speedplay and the other bikes could be setup with Look or Shimano?

The neutral bikes used to be set up with cages on flats, not clipless pedals. Not sure if that's changed.

Petacchi won a Giro stage on one. Google it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Cycling reminds me of F1 before Senna died. Amateur organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Riders taken out in crash in last few km so given same time as group they were with (Mollema). Its a little arbitrary but can understand the logic behind it so sounds fair enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Bulls*#t decision. Stuff happens in cycling its part of it and it's why I sat down to watch that stage today on the off chance someone or something would stop Froomes march to another overall win. What's the point if everything is neutralised to avoid any controversy.
    Something has to be done with the idiots in the crowd though.

Riders taken out in crash in last few km so given same time as group they were with (Mollema). Its a little arbitrary but can understand the logic behind it so sounds fair enough to me.

Ok on a flat stage where the 3km rule applies but it doesnt apply to mountain finishes so interesting to see

Maybe the organisers think if they didn't neutalise the race before the incident, then people would just block racers to give their favourite an advantage.
    Whatever the case, it is a huge mess and while Chris Froome ends up maintaining the yellow jersey, I think it done him absolutely no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

I don't understand the outcry in this thread for the TdF result to not reflect the racing of Froome and the rest today but some crash that reflects bad race organisation. Correct decision that reflects the race the cyclists did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

poolboy wrote: »
    Something has to be done with the idiots in the crowd though.

Maybe the decision makes were looking at it from that point of view. If Froome was punished because the crowd influenced the result then what would stop someone from deliberately doing it if it's classed as just a racing incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

he was penalized for running he lost a heap of time FFS!!!! Running is slower that cycling no one is going to do it out of choice, can you not understand that? How can you be so dense

Calm down there tommy!...:p

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    The neutral bikes used to be set up with cages on flats, not clipless pedals. Not sure if that's changed.

Petacchi won a Giro stage on one. Google it.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/05/tdf2015-tech-whats-on-those-mavic-neutral-support-bikes/

Mavic clipless pedals apparentlyor at least last year

Advertisement