Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Will ya sponsor me?"

• 13-07-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

I had two young teenage lads knock on my door this afternoon. When I opened the door, they stood looking at me for a second or two.

Neither of them spoke at first and neither did I, waiting for them to engage. One of them silently waved a sheet of paper at me, then after a few seconds, mumbled "Will ya sponsor me?"

My point about posting this is:

Why can't whatever school or youth group or sports organisation who sends these clueless young people out to ask local people for financial support, take the trouble to at least give them a little guidance as to how they should approach people?

These two guy were too lazy to even say "Hello, we're from.... and we're trying to raise money for the following..."

One of these two silently waved their paper in front of me as if I were supposed to telepathically realise they wanted money with the least amount of effort possible on their part.

I'm always glad to help local causes and I've had some very young kids with excellent manners calling for sponsorship of various causes and a good approach makes their effort so much more worthy and worthwhile.

When I heard "will ya sponsor me?" I replied in the negative and they shuffled on to try the folks next door. I never even got to know who they were fund-raising for.

Very unimpressed. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

I do be seeing them in Starbucks in Dublin as well, half the time I just think they're the children of knackers sent out to make a few €.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

This is a common scam with kids. I know of one Schoolboy team manager who had kids call to his door with a sponsor card not only for his club, but more specifically for the team he managed.
    After quizing the kids for a few mins he told them he was the manager of the team they were claiming to be on and that he was calling the Guards. The kids became abusive when he wouldn't give them their card back. They even called back the next day to ask his wife for it.

Advertisement