Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying fee when leaving

Options
  • 13-07-2016 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I got a new job a few weeks back (in the airport), as part of getting the job I needed to be background checked and Garda vetted. In my contract, it says that I must pay the cost of the background check if I leave the job before I certain date, which is fair enough as it costs €250. I was told it would take approx 2 weeks to complete. 3 weeks later I enquired with the Airport police and they said that my employer didn't fill out the application correctly (first I heard of this). Anyway my employer sent in the forms again but it will take another 2 weeks at least.
    I cannot afford not to start working for another 2/3 weeks. I have started looking for other jobs but should I still have to pay the €250 considering it was a mistake on their behalf?

On a related note, am I entitled to be paid for induction days and online training.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you haven't started and get another job in the meantime, I would (politely of course) tell them to whistle for their 250. But in this case, you won't get paid for the induction etc.

If you do take up the job though, I would expect you to get paid for induction and also for on-line training if there's proof that you've done it and it was required.

Advertisement