Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

08 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI issue help!

• 13-07-2016 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all i am looking for some advice here. I bought a second hand Ford Focus 1.8 08 Diesel Style 112k miles on the clock from a Dealer about 6 weeks but have been having a strange issue. When i stop in traffic and move into neutrel the car seems to shake a lot after a few seconds. If i press the excelerator it goes away for a few seconds but then comes back. If i press the clutch it goes away but as soon as i release the clutch it comes back again! I have brought the car back to the dealer who said that it looked like an engine mount was the problem and replaced that but the issue is still there. Now i also notice that the engine coolant seems to be running down very fast. It was full when i bought the car 6 weeks ago and i brought it back to the garage and the filled it up again three ago but i checked it again today and it is down to the min again. There are no wet areas under the car in the morning time. The car itself drives very well but i am worried about these issues. Any help or advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭tnegun

Vibrations could be a DMF on the way out. I think the clutch relieving the problem is another indicator it's the DMF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Definitely the dual mass flywheel on its way out. That is usually the starting symptoms but it will still last a while until it doesn't stop making those noises.

With the cooling issue have a look at the water pipe running into the EGR valve. It's at the back of the engine under the scuttle panel. It's a black hose 2cm in diameter. If they have a split they only leak water at high revs when it's under pressure so you won't notice water drops because it only drips when you're driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Feck Off

Thanks for the feedback here guys it really helps. I checked and the DMF looks like it is an expensive part to replace. I will also check the hose to see if there is any damage. I am starting to get a bad feeling about this car!

Feck Off wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback here guys it really helps. I checked and the DMF looks like it is an expensive part to replace. I will also check the hose to see if there is any damage. I am starting to get a bad feeling about this car!

A flywheel and clutch job should be €900~ could be a bit more or less.

My car has had the same symptoms for the past 18000 km and it hasn't got any worse so you can let it be until it's really rattling non-stop.

shietpilot wrote: »
    A flywheel and clutch job should be €900~ could be a bit more or less.

My car has had the same symptoms for the past 18000 km and it hasn't got any worse so you can let it be until it's really rattling non-stop.

Thanks, the concern i have is that it is still in warranty for another month and half and that i should probably get it done while in warranty as i do a lot of mileage about 2.5k per month

• Advertisement

I would also check to see if it has a wet timing belt and if it has been replaced on time. These are known to snap if not changed on time! Is it a facelift or pre-facelift Focus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Thanks, the concern i have is that it is still in warranty for another month and half and that i should probably get it done while in warranty as i do a lot of mileage about 2.5k per month

Clutch and flywheel us a wear item so usually not covered under warranty.

shietpilot wrote: »
    I would also check to see if it has a wet timing belt and if it has been replaced on time. These are known to snap if not changed on time! Is it a facelift or pre-facelift Focus?

Not sure how to check this? Says Timing belt was replaced 90k so about 20k ago

These problems have been there since i bought the car from the garage 6 weeks ago so was purchased faulty and not wear and tear by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You should have brought car back right away when you noticed.

Just because buying from a dealer doesn't mean don't check car over.

Go back tomorrow with it.

• Advertisement

Well there are 2 timing belts and the wet belt needs to be replaced in time too. You need to make sure it was done or the car could be toast in a few thousand miles :eek:

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I went back to the garage this week and they are replacing the DMF on it at the moment along with hoses for the coolant so will report back if this resolves my issues.

Success! Once the DMF is changed you should be good to go for a long time.

Quick update. I got the car back from the garage and since the DMF and clutch were replaced the shaking issue seems to be gone as it has not happened since i collected the car on friday. Thanks to all for there help fingers crossed i should be ok now for while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

why not name the garage as they seem to be one of the few good one's around

Advertisement