Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

May Reshuffle--Boris becomes Foreign Secretary

• 13-07-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

As news drips out about Theresa May's Cabinet reshuffle it appears that Boris Johnson is going to be Foreign Secretary. So the Guardian says.

Do I have to give a comment about this? Really???

My hope is that there will be no place at the table for that dangerous Joe 90 lookalike Michael Gove. And hopefully none for that airhead NI secretary Theresa Villiers.

But I suspect only one of those is a possibility.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

David Davis as Minister of Brexit (Official Title - Secretary for exiting the EU), that will go well.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Party unity requires the promotion of individuals beyond their capabilities from time to time. Boris is a perfect example of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This means Boris is now in charge of Mi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Does that mean he's the character of M in the Bond movies?

Oh they should really put him in the next one. That would be priceless!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,370 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Inquitus wrote: »
    David Davis as Minister of Brexit (Official Title - Secretary for exiting the EU), that will go well.......

So what's he going to do when the brexit is complete ?

The boris foreign secretary appointment is brilliant and terrifying in equal measure. I think of dermot Morgan and his impression of Albert Reynolds going around the world. Just insert boris for Albert.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod mote:

Serious contributions only please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Bad judgment on her part. Johnson had lost a lot of credibility by not standing for PM and his career was over if he was confined to the back benches for the next few years.

Instead she has single handedly rejuvenated his career and made him future PM material again.

Of course it's possible they struck a deal a few weeks ago to give her a clear run at the PM job. Who knows,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,370 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Red Kev wrote: »
    Bad judgment on her part. Johnson had lost a lot of credibility by not standing for PM and his career was over if he was confined to the back benches for the next few years.

Instead she has single handedly rejuvenated his career and made him future PM material again.

Of course it's possible they struck a deal a few weeks ago to give her a clear run at the PM job. Who knows,

I don't know what to make of boris Johnson. On the one hand I feel the whole bumbling idiot sctick is just that a sctick and he's smarter than the average bear.

Then I feel he's like an democratically elected prince Phillip who says what he likes and to hell with the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think this is what has happened. Perhaps Boris got wind of what Gove intended to do.

I thought Boris acted stupidly not running for PM but now I am thinking, canny old fox.

Interesting times as they try to save the UK if that is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I doubt any deal was struck to be honest, he did endorse Leadsom lets not forget for PM. May like many may not trust Boris, but ultimately whether we like or not he is an incredibly popular politician and connects with the ordinary masses something which so few MP's do these days.

Ultimately he was absolutely crucial in getting 17 million people to vote to leave the EU, you can't bin someone with that sort of appeal that easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The NZ Herald were nice enough to pull out some of his previous quotes on foreign relations
    COLONIALISM

"The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge any more." (The Spectator in 2002)

I look forward to him taking this particular approach at the negotiating table with many many nations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Thomas_..

As news drips out about Theresa May's Cabinet reshuffle it appears that Boris Johnson is going to be Foreign Secretary. So the Guardian says.

My hope is that there will be no place at the table for that dangerous Joe 90 lookalike Michael Gove. And hopefully none for that airhead NI secretary Theresa Villiers.

Surely, Mrs May selected her cabinet well, to prepare for the final downfall of the UK. The biggest clown is now Foreign Minister of the UK, never heard or seen the like of that. She could as well have offered Farage a ministry in case he would become a Tory Party member. The effect of that wouldn´t had been even better.

Goodbye Britannia, you never had it that worse and it´ll get even worse with such a character representing the interests of the UK on the international level.

The NZ Herald were nice enough to pull out some of his previous quotes on foreign relations

I look forward to him taking this particular approach at the negotiating table with many many nations :)

I look forward to see him getting the boot into his ... by the backlash he´ll receive on his arrogance from the many many nations. This clown really thinks he has something of a Winston S. Churchill, but he clearly has not, he´s just a cheap clown imitating him and that by the worst performance which Churchill had never deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Thomas_.. wrote: »
    Surely, Mrs May selected her cabinet well, to prepare for the final downfall of the UK. The biggest clown is now Foreign Minister of the UK, never heard or seen the like of that. She could as well have offered Farage a ministry in case he would become a Tory Party member. The effect of that wouldn´t had been even better.

Goodbye Britannia, you never had it that worse and it´ll get even worse with such a character representing the interests of the UK on the international level.

If Johnson can't cut it as Foreign Secretary she can push him out, leaving him completely discredited and de-fanged as a possible threat to her as replacement PM. I wonder just how long he's got in the job.

swampgas wrote: »
    If Johnson can't cut it as Foreign Secretary she can push him out, leaving him completely discredited and de-fanged as a possible threat to her as replacement PM. I wonder just how long he's got in the job.

That is of course a very interesting perspective and I hope that he won´t last long in his job, this utter self-important clown.

The Tories have once ruined the lives of many of people, they will do it now even worse. When a Tory talks about righting the injustice in the society, like May did recently, one doesn´t have to expect that it will get better, in will only get worse.

On the one hand I wish that this Brexit will teach the arrogant Little Englanders a lesson cos they really deserve it, on the other it really makes me sad and annoyed to see the UK going down to the dogs and become more isolated than one might even anticipate. I wouldn´t reckon with any better terms than Cameron already get from the EU by this cabinet of losers. They´ve won the Brexit, but they will lose more than they had thought of and Farage is still having a laugh. I could really burst of annoyance by the very thought of it. What a fecking bunch of idiotic politicians.

Maybe, as a result of this Brexit, Scotland will gain its independence in another upcoming referendum and that might be at least something positive for them. Hopefully, I´d say.

Here's an interesting clip from Boris's appearance on Who Do You Think You Are.

Boris's Great Grandfather was a Turkish journalist turned politician who had strong views, which he expressed forcefully in print, on the great national issues of the day. Namely the future of Turkey as it transitioned from the Ottoman Empire to a republic after the First World War. (Fancy that! The date doesn't fall too far from the palm tree, does it?)

In this clip Boris's Turkish cousin tells him what happened to their common great grandfather once Ataturk took over. Wait till you hear what Boris says at the end about the inadvisability of "sticking to your guns for too long" :eek:

Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Threasa May is looking after Threasa May with this cabinet. Johnson is there for a reason, and that isn't for the good of the UK.

Just as she did with Brexit, she's putting her own political future ahead of what's good for the UK. No surprise there really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

She could as well have offered Farage a ministry in case he would become a Tory Party member. The effect of that wouldn´t had been even better.
    He wouldn't need to become a Tory. There's no requirement for that. He would need to be made a life peer as he is not an MP but he would not need to be a member of any particular party. He would be Lord Farage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I look forward to see him getting the boot into his ... by the backlash he´ll receive on his arrogance from the many many nations. This clown really thinks he has something of a Winston S. Churchill, but he clearly has not, he´s just a cheap clown imitating him and that by the worst performance which Churchill had never deserved.

Oh, I don't know, I can relate to his Public Schoolboy sense of humour http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/19/boris-johnson-wins-most-offensive-erdogan-poem-competition but perhaps he's not an ideal choice for Johnny Foreigner Secretary. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know, I can relate to his Public Schoolboy sense of humour http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/19/boris-johnson-wins-most-offensive-erdogan-poem-competition but perhaps he's not an ideal choice for Johnny Foreigner Secretary. :D

Getting even better by the reaction around the world on his appointment:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-36790977

Boris Johnson is foreign secretary: The world reacts
    Washington Post writer Ishaan Tharoor also writes that Mr Johnson "has controversially bucked the Western trend and praised Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for battling the Islamic State, no matter its parallel campaign of violence on Syria's civilian population".
    In France, Le Figaro says Mr Johnson "gives the impression of being guided by opportunism".
    The newspaper says the UK's new foreign secretary's political career has seen him change his mind on gay marriage and on Turkey joining the EU.
    The German journalist Laura Schneider points to a certain amount of mirth on television as presenters announce Mr Johnson's new role.
    The head of the Russian State Duma's foreign affairs committee, Aleksey Pushkov, tweets that Mr Johnson's predecessor, Philip Hammond, has "painful anti-Russian complexes" that he hopes Mr Johnson does not share.

Bring back spitting image, it´d be lot´s of fun to watch it by that sort of new characters with Johnson being the "top dog" in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If this was a TV show, I would have taught it to be far to unrealistic. I do not see this choice enhancing the UK reputation abroad, which considering they will be in a few year negotiating from a position of weakness for trade deal with the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

swampgas wrote: »
    This.
    I don't believe that Johnson as a backbencher would see his career languish. He would continue playing the upper-class buffoon, quietly distance himself from the mess he made and return resurgent to challenge for the leadership in 3 or 4 years' time.

Keeps your friends close and your enemies closer. May has not only prevented Johnson from putting any distance between himself and Brexit, but she has actually bound his political future to the outcome of Brexit.
    If it becomes a mess or he steps down, he's finished. In order to survive, he needs to work his ass off at this honestly and make the best of it. No amount of celebrity buffoonery or whispering in the backbenches can save him.

Which is no less than he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

seamus wrote: »
    This.
    I don't believe that Johnson as a backbencher would see his career languish. He would continue playing the upper-class buffoon, quietly distance himself from the mess he made and return resurgent to challenge for the leadership in 3 or 4 years' time.

Keeps your friends close and your enemies closer. May has not only prevented Johnson from putting any distance between himself and Brexit, but she has actually bound his political future to the outcome of Brexit.
    If it becomes a mess or he steps down, he's finished. In order to survive, he needs to work his ass off at this honestly and make the best of it. No amount of celebrity buffoonery or whispering in the backbenches can save him.

Which is no less than he deserves.
    That's it. Boris has been made Foreign Secretary. That'll show him.

This is like making someone a consultant neurosurgeon because you are annoyed at their amateur health advice. Ha ha, let's see how he gets on with actual people's heads. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he messes up.

Seriously though. No. Like I said in an earlier post, Theresa may have made a mistake appointing him to that position, but I doubt if she would waste the position of Foreign Secretary on someone she did not think would be competent at the job.

There is a narrative that Boris and others, never wanted Brexit to succeed because they knew it would lead to disaster for the UK and themselves. Of course, Brexit may turn out bad for the UK, but there's no evidence that Johnson or any of the others think this.

I doubt very much that Johnson regards this very prestigious position (the most prestigious he's ever held) as a poisoned chalice that he is forced to take. This is a major step up for him from backbench MP. It is wishful thinking on our part that suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Villers has quit so thats a plus for you I guess. She was offered another rold but refused.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

More chaos in the NHS with Jeremy Hunt keeping his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That's it. Boris has been made Foreign Secretary. That'll show him.

This is like making someone a consultant neurosurgeon because you are annoyed at their amateur health advice. Ha ha, let's see how he gets on with actual people's heads. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he messes up.

Seriously though. No. Like I said in an earlier post, Theresa may have made a mistake appointing him to that position, but I doubt if she would waste the position of Foreign Secretary on someone she did not think would be competent at the job.

There is a narrative that Boris and others, never wanted Brexit to succeed because they knew it would lead to disaster for the UK and themselves. Of course, Brexit may turn out bad for the UK, but there's no evidence that Johnson or any of the others think this.

I doubt very much that Johnson regards this very prestigious position (the most prestigious he's ever held) as a poisoned chalice that he is forced to take. This is a major step up for him from backbench MP. It is wishful thinking on our part that suggests otherwise.

The idea of deliberately appointing someone incompetent to the the most important diplomatic cabinet position at the time when they are about to start the most difficult and consequential diplomatic initiative in a generation is a bit mad. I doubt she's stupid enough to use this as a way to control Johnson, she must have some faith in his ability to get the job done.

Johnson is a very charismatic man, and perhaps that is what they need to negotiate the best deal for Britain.

Or maybe it'll completely blow up in their faces and he'll make a total mess of the Brexit, but the idea that May is appointing him hoping that he'll fail seems more like a conspiracy theory than a political strategy given what is at stake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Akrasia wrote: »
    Johnson is a very charismatic man, and perhaps that is what they need to negotiate the best deal for Britain.

Most people don't find insults charming, when aimed at them. He does well in the UK, but considering the vitriol and lies has told about the EU, I doubt his "charisma" will get him anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The idea of deliberately appointing someone incompetent to the the most important diplomatic cabinet position at the time when they are about to start the most difficult and consequential diplomatic initiative in a generation is a bit mad. I doubt she's stupid enough to use this as a way to control Johnson, she must have some faith in his ability to get the job done.

Or maybe it'll completely blow up in their faces and he'll make a total mess of the Brexit, but the idea that May is appointing him hoping that he'll fail seems more like a conspiracy theory than a political strategy given what is at stake

I don't get where the Norris Johnson as an incompetent idea comes from, I don't like him and have the personal opinion he's probably an absolute b@stard in real life but he is a very canny politician that unfortunately for him didn't think Cameron would have his revenge.

I rather think that she has no clue at all, being naive and made her decision in a hurry as things unfolded faster than she expected them.

A big mouth pompous of the highest order with a very cheap and laughable approach to Imitate Winston S. Churchill. He will achieve nothing but getting worse conditions for Britain and that puts Scotlands Independence again on track.

He´s one of the grave diggers who digged out the grave, now they have to get the body to lay it in and that will be the UK. What sort of a "patriots" he and his other "friend in mind" Farage are.

First he will have to face the backlash and backfirings that he deserves after his grand dishing out to the EU and afterwards he can walk home with the tail between his legs, the odd self-important sod that he is.

• Advertisement

Danny_B wrote: »
    Villers has quit so thats a plus for you I guess. She was offered another rold but refused.

From Theresa Villiers' resignation statement. "I believe I leave the political situation [in Northern Ireland] in a more stable position than it has been for many years"

Really?

Is that why you supported Brexit, which undermines the whole basis of the Belfast Agreement then, you stupid, irresponsible, unthinking airhead?

Talk about a "coffee through the nose" moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gove, Gove, Gone!!!

From Theresa Villiers' resignation statement. "I believe I leave the political situation [in Northern Ireland] in a more stable position than it has been for many years"

Really?

Is that why you supported Brexit, which undermines the whole basis of the Belfast Agreement then, you stupid, irresponsible, unthinking airhead?

Why the surprise? That Tory govt never really cared about NI, as long as it was quiet and it might prove some people in their opinion that Westminster really didn´t consider the people of NI as being "as British as that of Finchley". Why should they have anyway? No Tory Party, no British Labour Party present there. So there was nothing to gain there, just transfer the money and tell them to be quiet. They are also keen enough to simply ignore the majority of the voters in NI who voted for remain. They might try to ignore that in the case of Scotland, but they won´t get that far with it. Scotland is too important for the UK, it´s the constitutional backbone of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Really?

Water John wrote: »
    Gove, Gove, Gone!!!

Tone down the name calling and up the standard of posting please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Why the surprise? That Tory govt never really cared about NI, as long as it was quiet and it might prove some people in their opinion that Westminster really didn´t consider the people of NI as being "as British as that of Finchley". Why should they have anyway? No Tory Party, no British Labour Party present there. So there was nothing to gain there, just transfer the money and tell them to be quiet. They are also keen enough to simply ignore the majority of the voters in NI who voted for remain. They might try to ignore that in the case of Scotland, but they won´t get that far with it. Scotland is too important for the UK, it´s the constitutional backbone of it.

It's not so much surprise as wonder at the sheer breathtaking effrontery that she would say such a thing. To paraphrase a great British (Welsh) politician of many years ago speaking at the time of perhaps the last great cataclysm in British Foreign policy, the Suez Crisis, if she is sincere in that belief, and she may be, then she is far too stupid, irresponsible and naive to have held the job of Northern Irish Secretary.

For the person responsible for overseeing British Government policy on Northern Ireland to take a strong view on Brexit without even seeming to consider the likely effects on the future of the province, and by extension the islands as a whole, is a horrendous impropriety. Couldn't she see that the structure underlying the Peace Process depended on both Ireland an Britain being EU partners? Didn't she realise the terrible strain it would impose on the province's future, whatever form Brexit will now take?

Maybe, as you suggest, she doesn't give a fig for what happens to Northern Ireland now. Maybe she thinks it's not her, or her country's problem. Surely that invalidates her suitability for the role, whatever about her country's actions.

Either way you look at it she was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

History will not judge her kindly.

It's not so much surprise as wonder at the sheer breathtaking effrontery that she would say such a thing. To paraphrase a great British (Welsh) politician of many years ago speaking at the time of perhaps the last great cataclysm in British Foreign policy, the Suez Crisis, if she is sincere in that belief, and she may be, then she is far too stupid, irresponsible and naive to have held the job of Northern Irish Secretary.

For the person responsible for overseeing British Government policy on Northern Ireland to take a strong view on Brexit without even seeming to consider the likely effects on the future of the province, and by extension the islands as a whole, is a horrendous impropriety. Couldn't she see that the structure underlying the Peace Process depended on both Ireland an Britain being EU partners? Didn't she realise the terrible strain it would impose on the province's future, whatever form Brexit will now take?

Maybe, as you suggest, she doesn't give a fig for what happens to Northern Ireland now. Maybe she thinks it's not her, or her country's problem. Surely that invalidates her suitability for the role, whatever about her country's actions.

Either way you look at it she was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

History will not judge her kindly.

If it wasn´t for the mess the Labour Party is in with Corbyn, she might rather face a new GE by now. History won´t be that kind to Cameron either.

As for the main part of your post, I´m all with you there. The English (and the Welsh with them), as in particular the leave camp, were as selfish as usual cos they knew that in Scotland and NI there was - and still is - a majority of pro-EU people.

If the UK falls apart tomorrow, I wouldn´t shed a tear at all cos her selfish and self-centred self-important politicians had brought that onto herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

This isn't going to smooth the negotiations: "Boris a liar with his back to the wall" ... says French Foreign Minister, who presumably, would be dealing directly with him.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/14/french-foreign-minister-boris-johnson-is-a-liar-with-his-back-against-the-wall

Boris Johnson is certainly a high-risk appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Danny_B wrote: »

Really?

Northern Ireland is much more stable now than it has been in a long time. That is beyond doubt. I don't think that is down to Theresa Villiers mind, but it is still better now than at any time I can remember in the last 35 years (my lifetime)

If it wasn´t for the mess the Labour Party is in with Corbyn, she might rather face a new GE by now. History won´t be that kind to Cameron either.

As for the main part of your post, I´m all with you there. The English (and the Welsh with them), as in particular the leave camp, were as selfish as usual cos they knew that in Scotland and NI there was - and still is - a majority of pro-EU people.

If the UK falls apart tomorrow, I wouldn´t shed a tear at all cos her selfish and self-centred self-important politicians had brought that onto herself.

The Brexiters were perhaps deeply fortunate that the Labour party in this referendum campaign was led by a 1970s dinosaur from the left wing who cut his teeth at a time when Labour was the more Eurosceptic party, for vastly different reasons than the conservatives and UKIP, of course.

I think Corbyn is a decent man, but his tepid contribution to the Remain campaign, which probably reflects his own natural Eurosceptic tendencies, greatly helped the Brexit side build up momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Am I the only one who thinks Stephen Crabb was offered the NI gig and that's what the "best for the family" thing is about?

Would stack up not wanting to move his family to Belfast.

bilston wrote: »
    Northern Ireland is much more stable now than it has been in a long time. That is beyond doubt. I don't think that is down to Theresa Villiers mind, but it is still better now than at any time I can remember in the last 35 years (my lifetime)

Oh I agree. But as I stated, a fundamental premise of the current arrangement is that both Ireland and the UK are member states of the EU. So many of the issues of identity politics, which were a large part of the problem, have been resolved by a smoothing of borders and the rights of people who live there to consider themselves as either Irish or British (or both Mr Paisley ;) ) without threatening the other.

Now that has been tossed overboard and one of the people leading the chucking team was the outgoing Secretary of State.

Whether the Peace Process lasts will depend largely on how severe or precipitate the Brexit process will be.

• Advertisement

The Brexiters were perhaps deeply fortunate that the Labour party in this referendum campaign was led by a 1970s dinosaur from the left wing who cut his teeth at a time when Labour was the more Eurosceptic party, for vastly different reasons than the conservatives and UKIP, of course.

I think Corbyn is a decent man, but his tepid contribution to the Remain campaign, which probably reflects his own natural Eurosceptic tendencies, greatly helped the Brexit side build up momentum.

I have my doubt on a man´s decency who calls terrorists his "friends" and supports them. Sorry, but I don´t like him and he´s the one who brought Labour even deeper into a mess than his predecessors ever could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I don't think any of the NI Secs move their family to Belfast. They just fly in for 2/3 days a week.
    At this stage, it must be an outpost. Villiers was certainly weak and not able for any Cabinet post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

On Channel 4 news yesterday their political corespondent opined that the post of Foreign Secretary "isn't what it used to be" but didn't explain why.

Anyone know what he meant by this? I would have thought it if not a high profile cabinet position then a normal profile one.

I think it might be a reference to the fact that as Brexit is going to be THE major foreign affairs issue facing Britain for the next few years and that there is already a minister appointed with specific responsibility for that, it effectively means that a large part of the brief will be taken out of Boris' hands.

I'm sure there's enough to make him the fall guy if anything goes terribly wrong, of course. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That is of course a very interesting perspective and I hope that he won´t last long in his job, this utter self-important clown.

The Tories have once ruined the lives of many of people, they will do it now even worse. When a Tory talks about righting the injustice in the society, like May did recently, one doesn´t have to expect that it will get better, in will only get worse.
    If you are referring to the Brexit, the British public did that to themselves. Not that I am in any way in favour of the Brexit, but the sad truth is the people voted for it, and they can blame themselves as much as they can their politicians for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

I don't think Johnson will be involved in the brexit negotiations. I think that's mainly going to be Davis (and Fox). Maybe Johnson can continue Cameron's efforts to cozy up to China in an attempt to offset the inevitable lesser terms of the deal they'll settle with the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Along with Muslim fundamentalists the closest thing Britain has to 'terrorists' is Tony Blair and the Blairites.
    Corbin is in a fight with them for the Labour Party and for all our sakes I hope he wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Along with Muslim fundamentalists the closest thing Britain has to 'terrorists' is Tony Blair and the Blairites.
    Corbin is in a fight with them for the Labour Party and for all our sakes I hope he wins.

Labour are un-electable with Corbyn at the helm, whats the better option?

#1 Far Left Labour Party that will never win and influence policy
    #2 A more centrist Labour Party that can win power and influence policy to the betterment of working people in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Actually the closes thing Britain has to a terrorist is a terrorist. Like that far right, white nationalist, pro Brexit terrorist by the name of Tommy Mair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Billy86 wrote: »
    pro Brexit terrorist

Gove?

• Advertisement
Advertisement